Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Tornado Touchdown in Western Mass (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/tornado-touchdown-western-mass-39138/)

natickdan 06-01-2011 05:36 PM

Tornado Touchdown in Western Mass

This is truly an anomaly for those of us in New England.

We've seen a tornado watch then warning and now touchdowns in a few towns in western Mass. Fortunately, no serious injuries have been reported, but there has been property damage.

Warnings are still active for Worcester, Norfolk and Middlesex Counties for the next couple of hours. We are in Middlesex and it is quite dark and stormy. We have a few friends from TV that live in Western MA, so lets hope the worse is behind them.

nkrifats 06-01-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natickdan (Post 358934)

We've seen a tornado watch then warning and now touchdowns in a few towns in western Mass. Fortunately, no serious injuries have been reported, but there has been property damage.

Warnings are still active for Worcester, Norfolk and Middlesex Counties for the next couple of hours. We are in Middlesex and it is quite dark and stormy. We have a few friends from TV that live in Western MA, so lets hope the worse is behind them.

This is the second one today for Springfield. RI TV showing damage in Springfield. Have not heard of other towns in western MA.

FMF Doc 06-01-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natickdan (Post 358934)

I am near Windsor Locks tonight. When I checked in to my hotel a little while ago the TV was on and issuing warnings for the Springfield, Ma. area.

jpharmat 06-01-2011 06:15 PM

I'm here in Oxford... there is a tornado on the ground right now in Sturbridge Ma. (7:15p.m.)

jpharmat 06-01-2011 07:59 PM

4 deaths reported as of this entry from todays storms.... really unusual here in Massachusetts.

natickdan 06-01-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpharmat (Post 358985)
4 deaths reported as of this entry from todays storms.... really unusual here in Massachusetts.

Sadly, the death toll and property damage was greater than we imagined or, for that matter, expected. Mother Nature, even at her worse, reminds all of us how little control we have over the weather.

Lou and Carolyn C. 06-02-2011 07:23 AM

Tornado in Western Massachusetts

Good Morning Dan,
Very sad story of at least 4 people dead from the tornado(s) that touched down in western MA. Also, heard of a couple of children that were trapped in a home where the mother (in serious condition) and father survived, as of 6:00 a.m. they were still searching the damaged home for the children. Praying they will be found alive.

graciegirl 06-02-2011 08:51 AM

So unusual, this horrible weather.

I am a person who tries not to look for trouble, but the Hurricane season is expected to be a bad one too.

Are you o.k. Dan?

Another state in a terrible mess. Thoughts and prayers go out to them.

2BNTV 06-02-2011 10:05 AM

CNN Reported:

Tornado hit the western part of MA affecting 19 communiities. Damage extensive. 4 people are dead, 1 in Sringfield, 2 in Westfield and one in Brimfield. 40 reported injured.

My thoughts and prayers for all.

spk7951 06-02-2011 07:17 PM

Lived most of our lives just 20 miles from Springfield and in 1979 had a tornado go about 1/2 mile west of us. The news video of the tornado showing the Memorial Bridge over the CT river, friends of ours had family on the bridge and they had minor injuries from being bounced around.

mr and mrs bike 06-04-2011 07:15 AM

We survived the tornado. Lost power around 4:30ish on Wednesday and just got it back sometime early this A.M. It was my day off so I didn't have the TV or radio on. All of a sudden we just lost power. The sky was a weird shade of orange. They say the tornado was headed right for East Longmeadow and just turned and went in a different direction. It went up over the hill and hit our neighboring towns really hard. So many homes lost and old church steeples lost in the town of Monson.
Our town wasn't hit but like I said we had no power until this A.M. We are a small town but with lots of small business and Milton Bradley. It was also the senior prom so all the nail, hair salons and flower shops were shut down. What a "hardship" for the kids but when they look back it will be a time to remember.
I have been thinking about living at TV and what happens and where to go if a tornado hits. There are no cellars to escape to. Also, this has been a reminder of what to have on hand in case of an emergency. All the things we know we should have but have put off doing. My lesson is to get my "act together".
The first thing I wanted this morning was a cup of coffee at my home. I have been driving to CT and waiting in line at Dunkin for 30 mins for one. There's no place like home !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!