Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Air Conditioning (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/air-conditioning-39198/)

Dynasty 06-03-2011 10:25 PM

Air Conditioning

I enjoy having the windows open as opposed to air conditioning. I do however enjoy sleeping in a cool room. Would it make economic sense to have a portable (not window) air conditioner in the bedroom? I would just turn it on in the evening and not air condition the rest of the house. These portable units sell for about $500, come with remote control and are very quiet. BTY, my wife thinks I'm nuts.

mrfixit 06-04-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynasty (Post 359597)
I enjoy having the windows open as opposed to air conditioning. I do however enjoy sleeping in a cool room. Would it make economic sense to have a portable (not window) air conditioner in the bedroom? I would just turn it on in the evening and not air condition the rest of the house. These portable units sell for about $500, come with remote control and are very quiet. BTY, my wife thinks I'm nuts.

She may have a VALID point. IF you have central air..... just use it. The problem....IMHO.....is the humidity AND heat you let IN with the windows OPEN------then have to overwork the AC to remove the heat and humidity. Must be removed from mattress.. furniture...drywall...carpet...tile on floors and bath walls......your clothes in closet and everything else. If you want fresh air ...step outside. I am willing to bet that it would cost LESS than 75 cents per day more to KEEP your home AC 24/7 ...than it would to lower the temp back down to comfort level....after you opened your windows for a while. (For a 1600 sq ft home that is properly insulated ). If the lady of the house ain't happy....nobody is happy. Spend the $500 on your wife. Sounds like she is pretty smart. If you are in The Villages you can not have a "window shaker" Air Conditoner. The roll around portables have to be vented to somewhere to get rid of heat and humidity ( the purpose of an AC ) and the drain hose for the humidity has to go somewhere. I tried a roll around a long time ago...in a 2nd story BR at the beach...what a waste of cash.

GeorgeT 06-04-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

The humidity is definitely a reason to use AC. I keep the house at 75 during the day and 76 at night. I like it cool (cold) at night so I use a small window ac unit in my bedroom and keep it at 68 at night. My electric bill runs around $125. I have gas for the oven and drier.

KittyKat 06-04-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeT (Post 359648)
The humidity is definitely a reason to use AC. I keep the house at 75 during the day and 76 at night. I like it cool (cold) at night so I use a small window ac unit in my bedroom and keep it at 68 at night. My electric bill runs around $125. I have gas for the oven and drier.

How do you get away with having a window a/c unit? Are there no deed restrictions against that where you live? I, too, like it cold at night but my mother doesn't so I make do with a ceiling fan. Would love to have a window unit.:sigh:

Ohiogirl 06-04-2011 01:35 PM

Our CYV master bedroom and the 3rd bedroom have windows in the courtyard part, so would think it would be possible to put window units there.

islandgal 06-04-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Dynasty -
What about putting a rollaway on the lanai if it is not enclosed??!! :shrug::shrug:

GeorgeT 06-04-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyKat (Post 359684)
How do you get away with having a window a/c unit? Are their no deed restrictions against that where you live? I, too, like it cold at night but my mother doesn't so I make do with a ceiling fan. Would love to have a window unit.:sigh:

My bedroom window is in the screened in lanai in the rear of the house so it can't be seen or heard.

rjm1cc 06-04-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyKat (Post 359684)
How do you get away with having a window a/c unit? Are their no deed restrictions against that where you live? I, too, like it cold at night but my mother doesn't so I make do with a ceiling fan. Would love to have a window unit.:sigh:

You might look for a small A/C's that co's use as backup systems for their computer rooms. The whole unit would go in your bed room and you would have a hose (like a dryer vent) that would have to go to the outside. Cost should be under $500.00. Big box store might sell them. Do not know about noise but I think no more noise than a window A/C.
Try http://www.homedepot.com/undefined-P...atalogId=10053 If the link does not work go to Homedepot.com and search for portable Air Cond.