Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   Political Sleazeballs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/political-sleazeballs-39203/)

Guest 06-04-2011 07:54 AM

Political Sleazeballs

John Edwards is facing possible criminal charges of misusing funds for hush money to a mistress. John Ensign resigned from Congress for the same reasons. Arnold Schwarzenegger diddled the household help and has a son by her. Newt Gingrich had his wife decide on divorce proceedings while she was recovering from cancer surgery. Mark Sanford spends taxpayer money to visit his mistress in South America. Elliot Spitzer spends thousands of dollars (his money, I guess) on call girls while he is married. Mark Foley involved in Capitol page scandal. Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski scandal.

My question is why do these people we elected to such things? Is it just a power trip for them and they feel it is justified? Personally, I think it is abuse of public trust. I think other people don't care what politicians do in their private lives.

How about some viewpoints from this forum. You can see I included both Republican and Democrat sleazeballs so this is non-partisan.

Guest 06-04-2011 08:44 AM

Dem hormones don't stop raging seemingly ever. :doh:

Guest 06-04-2011 09:37 AM

It's politicians in general. They are all to one degree or another power hungry crooks, Democrats and Republicans.

That's precisely why the federal government needs to be smaller and more limited in power which is the purpose of the Constitution.

Obama however see's the Constitution as a document (these are his own words) of "negative liberties" for the government.

Centralized power beyond the limits of the Constitution is a very dangerous thing and that's exactly what our current crop of politicians are all about. Power and control. And, we are willingly turning it over to them.

Guest 06-04-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 359657)
It's politicians in general. They are all to one degree or another power hungry crooks, Democrats and Republicans.

That's precisely why the federal government needs to be smaller and more limited in power which is the purpose of the Constitution.

Obama however see's the Constitution as a document (these are his own words) of "negative liberties" for the government.

Centralized power beyond the limits of the Constitution is a very dangerous thing and that's exactly what our current crop of politicians are all about. Power and control. And, we are willingly turning it over to them.

Excellent and succinct. I won't add a thing, other than I hope people start to realize that they must answer NO to your ending question.

Guest 06-04-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 359635)

John Edwards is facing possible criminal charges of misusing funds for hush money to a mistress. John Ensign resigned from Congress for the same reasons. Arnold Schwarzenegger diddled the household help and has a son by her. Newt Gingrich had his wife decide on divorce proceedings while she was recovering from cancer surgery. Mark Sanford spends taxpayer money to visit his mistress in South America. Elliot Spitzer spends thousands of dollars (his money, I guess) on call girls while he is married. Mark Foley involved in Capitol page scandal. Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski scandal.

My question is why do these people we elected to such things? Is it just a power trip for them and they feel it is justified? Personally, I think it is abuse of public trust. I think other people don't care what politicians do in their private lives.

How about some viewpoints from this forum. You can see I included both Republican and Democrat sleazeballs so this is non-partisan.

You forgot to mention John Kennedy, one of the biggest womanizers around!

Many married men screw around, politicians included. But when politicians get caught, it's front-page news. I am personally disgusted with John Edwards .. not only did he treat his wife shamefully when she was terminally ill, but now it appears he is also a financial fraud. How can these men look in the mirror every morning.

Guest 06-04-2011 01:26 PM

Forgotten is the recent allegation against New York Congressman Weiner. Do yourself a favor and read Ann Coulter's column in Sunday's Daily Sun on this incident...its a hoot.

Also no one mentioned Barney Frank scandals or the North Dakota Senator who liked to play footsey in the men's bathroom stalls

I believe that far too many people (not all) who seek positions of power be it in the private or public sector exhibit take no prisoner and entitlement mentalities but they hide it well because they are charming or good at being artful dodgers DSK of the IMF was skilled at both, as was Kennedy, Clinton, Edwards..............beside which they have the money and opportunity to cover their trails. that is why character is so important to me when looking at political candidates...If you look closely at what they do vis a vis what they say hints of who they are come through.

I declined monetary offers from people we did business with but once in awhile I would accept an invitation to play golf and advising my superiors. I did so because you can learn an awful lot about a person on a golf course
Too bad we can't have that opportunity with political candidates. Hey maybe we should gather some of the better golfers in TV and form a poltical golf committee and send them out to play golf with candidates looking for our votes. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Guest 06-04-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 359693)
Forgotten is the recent allegation against New York Congressman Weiner. Do yourself a favor and read Ann Coulter's column in Sunday's Daily Sun on this incident...its a hoot.

I have never been able to read more than a sentence or two of Ann Coulter...something to do with my gag reflex. And I certainly do not consider her a "hoot" by any stretch of the imagination. :doh:

Guest 06-04-2011 04:05 PM

Could it possibly be that we don't elect the best qualified, but instead we vote for the biggest media darling who has great resources for image advertising and soundbites with little or, no substance. We as a country unfortunately, get more involved in DWTS and American Idol than we do in choosing candidates. There is entirely too much press emphasis given on the gotchas and not enough on substantive matters. ie, the economy, jobs, healthcare, education, national security, VS. Rep. Weiner's Facebook photo, Pallin's gaft, Gov. Christie's personal travel

Then too, our campaigns are too long and too costly. Who in their right mind would want to subject themselves and their family to almost 2 years of travel and very stressful situations with the need for dealing with constant fund raising and special interests in order to get a thankless job? In my opinion, the British have it right, as far as electing their leaders go.

Guest 06-04-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 359737)
I have never been able to read more than a sentence or two. :doh:

This may explain some of your posts. Just kidding, but you left yourself wide open for this one. As Flip Wilson would say, "The devil made me do it."

Guest 06-04-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 359788)
This may explain some of your posts. Just kidding, but you left yourself wide open for this one. As Flip Wilson would say, "The devil made me do it."

Well played...touche. :doh:

Guest 06-05-2011 08:37 AM

Gerry Studds was another, to say nothing of Wilbur Mills and Fanne Fox or Strom Thurmond and his curious affair and offspring...

But I heard interesting 'proof' that the picture being talked about this week is at least that of a Democrat. It doesn't stand up for any reason, it leans to the left and it was sent to a *woman*.

Guest 06-05-2011 09:23 AM

"When a politician wrestles with his conscience, he usually wins."
-JOSEPH SOBRAN

Guest 06-05-2011 10:17 AM

Politicians

Most of us get jobs and settle down. Politicians are risk takers. Couple that with what Kissinger said about power being an aphrodisiac, I give you the modern politician.

Guest 06-05-2011 10:19 AM

Indeed, and they love taking risks with our money... and now our grandkids money.

Guest 06-05-2011 10:21 AM

Kennedy

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 359671)
You forgot to mention John Kennedy, one of the biggest womanizers around!

There was an excellent film called "An American Affair". I think that it's available on Netflix.