Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Diners and Delis (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/diners-delis-39216/)

TOMCAT 06-04-2011 04:11 PM

Diners and Delis

Just curious to know, coming from NY, are there any diners and delis around the Villages area that is good to go to? In NY they are all over the place.

JenAjd 06-04-2011 04:50 PM

This is Florida....the only "deli" I know of is TooJay's. But maybe someone else can enlighte me. We live in the south so diners aren't a factor here...some "mom and pop" restaurant's in out-laying communities. Now I'm thinking diners like I see in movies since I've not really had a NY experience. We have the usual chains here in TV, some country club restaurants. If you think you will find what you're familiar with it probably isn't going to happen. From what I've read on this site...people are always yearning for what was familiar "back home".

Hancle704 06-04-2011 04:55 PM

Having lived in NYC (Brooklyn) and now in TV, all I can offer is that Toojay's 2 locations in TV is as close as you will get. There is Gandolfo's, but having had only 1 Pastrami sandwich there, I will stick with Toojay's.

RichieLion 06-04-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMCAT (Post 359748)
Just curious to know, coming from NY, are there any diners and delis around the Villages area that is good to go to? In NY they are all over the place.

Let me put it this way; if you're coming to The Villages and expect great Italian Deli, you are going to be very disappointed. You can find this and that to satisfy a craving, but great deli, we ain't got.

Carla B 06-04-2011 11:03 PM

Like JenAdj said, some people are always yearning for what was familiar "back home." No deli food missed in this case, just cafeterias and great TexMex.

ladylake1 06-05-2011 08:27 AM

I agree. No deli's to compare by any stretch of the imagination. No "diners" that I was accustomed to either. Best I can do is buy good products and make my own!!

red tail 06-05-2011 08:36 AM

when in rome.........

Whalen 06-05-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 359903)
when in rome.........

But in Rome the food is really good....:icon_hungry::wine:

JenAjd 06-05-2011 09:37 AM

We can't have our "cake and eat it too" (no pun intended) when we make a life-style change. We've moved away from our individual cultures...think of the immigrants back in the day who brought their "tastes" with them (hence the deli's and diners in NY).
Being from the midwest...where it's casseroles and meat and potatoes and some really good Scandavian delicacies...one really can't duplicate that here (in a restaurant) so we make do.
The true culture in FL is southern I think and that is what is the fare. IF you want something from "home"...then maybe you can bring it with you. I'm just saying!
Catfish, grits and such really aren't to my taste and I don't have to eat it but generally I can find "something" that appeals to my taste. I'll re-visit my favorites when we go north to visit and all the better the experience!!

red tail 06-05-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whalen (Post 359909)
But in Rome the food is really good....:icon_hungry::wine:

ive been there many times and i probably could start a new thread on whether its good or not. the wine yes ...the food.....some good,some ive had better here!

jackz 06-05-2011 10:00 AM

Food in Rome

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 359923)
ive been there many times and i probably could start a new thread on whether its good or not. the wine yes ...the food.....some good,some ive had better here!

I look forward to hearing your suggestions for places in TV area to get better food than in Rome.

Living in Rome for the past 2 years with 1 more to go before retiring to TV, one of my concerns was leaving the fantastic wine and food of Italy.

As a previous poster mentioned, sometimes it is best to recreate the foods you enjoyed elsewhere when in your new enviornment. As I love to cook, that was my intention.

Ciao for now.