Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   I PAD2 WI 3G Verizon or ATT ??? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/i-pad2-wi-3g-verizon-att-39233/)

784caroline 06-05-2011 08:32 AM

I PAD2 WI 3G Verizon or ATT ???

If you were buying a IPAD2 WI 3G which service would you buy into Verizon or ATT ??

Are there any down sides with buying into the monthly 3G service as needed...$20/mo for no contract appears reasonable!

red tail 06-05-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784caroline (Post 359900)
If you were buying a IPAD2 WI 3G which service would you buy into Verizon or ATT ??

Are there any down sides with buying into the monthly 3G service as needed...$20/mo for no contract appears reasonable!

if you ever plan on using it internationally with 3g then you will need at&t .

jaspal 06-05-2011 10:49 AM

Ipad2

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 359902)
if you ever plan on using it internationally with 3g then you will need at&t .

I just got my Ipad 2. Based on the experts at the Apple store I went with AT&T plan. I know personally many of the experts at Apple which ALL advised me to go with the AT&T plan.

I have not needed to activate the plan as yet so I can't say how it works. You will LOVE your IPAD2.

Pat

784caroline 06-05-2011 11:39 AM

I have NO idea why the TOTV Administrators moved this to the Contractor fourm. THis is no different than asking which cell service is better and that is why I posted it under general Discussion...but the IPad2 does have a unique feature of offering 3G service without a contract.

memason 06-05-2011 02:06 PM

It really depends upon how you will use it. As stated above, if you ever plan to use it internationally, then AT&T would be the way go, ONLY because they use GSM technology. You can replace the micro sim card with a pay as you go sim in Europe and avoid roaming. NEVER ROAM INTERNATIONALLY WITH AT&T... it will break the bank! You could end up owning AT&T more than a thousand dollars if you use it internationally.

However, for that privilege, you'll be stuck with the AT&T network in this country. Just like cell phone service, it might not be so good in TV.

Maybe someone with an iPhone can tell us how good the 3G network is in TV.

Avista 06-05-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 360009)
It really depends upon how you will use it. As stated above, if you ever plan to use it internationally, then AT&T would be the way go, ONLY because they use GSM technology. You can replace the micro sim card with a pay as you go sim in Europe and avoid roaming. NEVER ROAM INTERNATIONALLY WITH AT&T... it will break the bank! You could end up owning AT&T more than a thousand dollars if you use it internationally.

However, for that privilege, you'll be stuck with the AT&T network in this country. Just like cell phone service, it might not be so good in TV.

Maybe someone with an iPhone can tell us how good the 3G network is in TV.

I have 3G with my iPad2. Reception is spotty in The Villages. As we drive along will go from half a bar to 5 bars and back. Driving along on vacation, it worked well. Was able to check out hotels on the road while driving.

faithfulfrank 06-05-2011 06:39 PM

Since the original poster asked for experience from those with AT&T and Verizon, it might be helpful for those posting to say what service they have......
Not being critical, just saying that it does no good to hear how your service is if you don't also post whether it is with AT&T or Verizon....

Respectfully, Frank

Pturner 06-05-2011 06:52 PM

Hi Caroline,
Our iPhones are ATT. Our reception in TV has been fine. Our home is on the north side. I don't know whether that makes a difference.

Enjoy your new iPad!

784caroline 06-05-2011 08:09 PM

Faithful Frank

Good summary of what I was hoping for with responses... Please provide what service you use and how you use it...traveling (primarily where) or simply in TV.

faithfulfrank 06-05-2011 10:08 PM

Caroline,
We are not yet full time Floridians....but plan on it soon. We are in the process of selling our NY home. While my home is in The Plantation, I plan on working quite a bit in TV, so I am very interested in the same question as you.....AT&T or stay with Verizon. I will not want to have bad reception and miss business calls.

From another thread I have learned that the reception SEEMS to be better in TV with Verizon, at least with the iphone. I may wait for the next iphone, (iphone5) but in any case once I do move down there I need to make that big decision.

I know your thread here is about the ipad2 , and I do not wish to hijack your thread. My post above was just to assist you in getting your answer as to what carrier to go with......

Frank

l2ridehd 06-06-2011 04:39 AM

Just got an iphone with the AT&T plan. So far works great everywhere in TV. And as soon as the T-mobile merger is complete, should be even better.

Memason. I have had a Blackberry with AT&T plan and used extensively all over the world. Yes the bill goes up, but never saw anything more then $40 or $50 extra for that billing period. Have used it all over Europe, Australia and Asia. Now with the iphone I have a data plan. No idea what that impact will be. Did not have that with the Blackberry. Is that what would drive the cost?

memason 06-06-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 360166)
Just got an iphone with the AT&T plan. So far works great everywhere in TV. And as soon as the T-mobile merger is complete, should be even better.

Memason. I have had a Blackberry with AT&T plan and used extensively all over the world. Yes the bill goes up, but never saw anything more then $40 or $50 extra for that billing period. Have used it all over Europe, Australia and Asia. Now with the iphone I have a data plan. No idea what that impact will be. Did not have that with the Blackberry. Is that what would drive the cost?

When I first moved to Europe, I too had a Blackberry World Edition. I used it for phone calls and my corporate email/calendaring. Monthly phone bills were in $500 to $600 range. I eventually got an iPhone in Europe with Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile).

Yes, the data is what drives the high cost. Since smartphones are constantly polling the net for email, facebook updates, app updates, etc., etc., etc., it's always using data in the background. Plus, if you're like me, you use the phone (or iPad) for everything...finding a local restaurant, GPS navigation, emailing friends, checking TOTV :wave: and just surfing the net.

AT&T does have an international plan, so it might be possible to minimize some of these charges today. I have not checked...

I guess my point in the post was to say "Be Careful", if you use you smart device internationally. ..and if you have an unlocked GSM device (which the AT&T iPad is unlocked), it's more cost effective to purchase a local (Germany, France, Spain, etc.) SIM card than roam internationally.

This is all way too complicated...

jojo 06-06-2011 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=memason;360167]
I guess my point in the post was to say "Be Careful", if you use you smart device internationally. ..and if you have an unlocked GSM device (which the AT&T iPad is unlocked), it's more cost effective to purchase a local (Germany, France, Spain, etc.) SIM card than roam internationally.

memason - I have a Blackberry with T-Mobile. We are going to be in Berlin this summer and someone told me to call T-Mobile and add international for the month that we are there. I want it primarily for the e-mail. Have you had any experience with this?

memason 06-06-2011 06:17 AM

[quote=jojo;360169]
Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 360167)

memason - I have a Blackberry with T-Mobile. We are going to be in Berlin this summer and someone told me to call T-Mobile and add international for the month that we are there. I want it primarily for the e-mail. Have you had any experience with this?

Sorry jojo... I do not have any experience with this. I did just check the T-Mobile website and it states a $15/MB charge for data roaming in Germany and calls were $1.29/min. I would call and get the exact details... Cheers