Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   If you happen to drown your cell phone..... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/if-you-happen-drown-your-cell-phone-39247/)

Bill-n-Brillo 06-05-2011 04:04 PM

If you happen to drown your cell phone.....

.........as I did the other day (forgot it was in my swim shorts' pocket when I hopped in the pool :doh: - I HATE it when that happens!), here's the fix:

- Drain, shake, whatever the excess water from the drowned phone. Don't forget to pop caps/covers off of any ports or jack connections, too.

- Towel dry exterior.

- Pop back of the case off and remove battery, SIM card, etc. - anything that's intended for the user to be able to remove.

- Fill a small ziploc bag nearly full with dry, uncooked rice.

- Insert said gurgling phone into the ziploc bag, seal it up........then wait for a day or two or three.

A friend suggested I do this as it resolved his wife's similar phone issue. I thought, "There's no way in the world this is going to work". I was in the pool floating around for more than just a few minutes when I realized my lapse in memory/stupidity. The displays were messed up from water getting inside them, I couldn't get the phone to come on, etc. But the logic made sense - that's why you'll sometimes see a few grains of rice in some restaurant salt shakers......the rice absorbs moisture very well. Sandy felt it was worth a try so we bought some rice to give it a shot. I figured the phone had to be toast, though!

"Au contraire, mon frere"! Two days of the phone in the "rice bag"......and it's back to normal!! Unbelievable! I would've lost money on the bet.

So if it ever happens to you, give the rice-and-the-ziploc-bag thing a try!

Bill :)

red tail 06-05-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 360035)
.........as I did the other day (forgot it was in my swim shorts' pocket when I hopped in the pool :doh: - I HATE it when that happens!), here's the fix:

- Drain, shake, whatever the excess water from the drowned phone. Don't forget to pop caps/covers off of any ports or jack connections, too.

- Towel dry exterior.

- Pop back of the case off and remove battery, SIM card, etc. - anything that's intended for the user to be able to remove.

- Insert said gurgling phone into the ziploc bag, seal it up........then wait for a day or two or three.

A friend suggested I do this as it resolved his wife's similar phone issue. I thought, "There's no way in the world this is going to work". I was in the pool floating around for more than just a few minutes when I realized my lapse in memory/stupidity. The displays were messed up from water getting inside them, I couldn't get the phone to come on, etc. But the logic made sense - that's why you'll sometimes see a few grains of rice in some restaurant salt shakers......the rice absorbs moisture very well. Sandy felt it was worth a try so we bought some rice to give it a shot. I figured the phone had to be toast, though!

"Au contraire, mon frere"! Two days of the phone in the "rice bag"......and it's back to normal!! Unbelievable! I would've lost money on the bet.

he's right. it works.i've did it twice

rjm1cc 06-05-2011 04:13 PM

The key is to get the battery out as soon as possible and to give the phone a few days to dry out. You do not want to activate the phone with any moisture in it.

JimJoe 06-05-2011 04:20 PM

I am wondering how long the "cure" will last.
JJ

memason 06-05-2011 04:22 PM

The real question is this:

Is the rice still edible after using it this way?

Mikitv 06-05-2011 04:46 PM

My son had his go through the washing machine. We popped the sim card, opened it up and let it sit out for two days till it was dried. Put sim card back in and it's still working today.

red tail 06-05-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 360040)

use broth instead of water and its great !!!:jester:

Xavier 06-05-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 360035)

- Towel dry exterior.

I did almost the same thing - jumped right into the spa. NOT MY FAULT! Who in their right mind would put pockets in a swim suit? Anyway, did a similar routine - popped the battery, turned a hair dryer on it for a bit, and found it still didn't work. Reached in the desk drawer and pulled out an old phone, called Verizon and activated it with my cell number. Threw the wet phone in the drawer. After a trip north, came home, opened the drawer, put the battery in the phone and it worked just fine. Reactivated it and it worked perfectly until I got a new phone about 18 months later. I'll try the rice next time - makes sense.

Xavier

Bill-n-Brillo 06-05-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 360038)
The key is to get the battery out as soon as possible and to give the phone a few days to dry out. You do not want to activate the phone with any moisture in it.

Being more than a bit impatient with myself, this was why I pretty much figured I'd fried my phone - I was trying a bunch of stuff immediately to see if there was any life in the phone. I AM the "Village(s) Idiot" at times..... :)

Quote:

Dunno - I'll package it up and send it to you for a "taste test", Mike...... :1rotfl:

Bill :wave:

Pturner 06-05-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Yes, but instead of growling, you stomach will ring.

memason 06-05-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 360062)
Yes, but instead of growling, you stomach will ring.

Ha ha.... One ringy dingy... Two ringy dingy. :loco:

Pturner 06-05-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 360084)
Ha ha.... One ringy dingy... Two ringy dingy. :loco:

... if you don't want your stomach to ring, you can always save the rice for a wedding. :p

Bill-n-Brillo 06-05-2011 07:54 PM

memason/pturner - There's a line in there somewhere about "Talking out of your........" - oh, never mind!! :wave:

skyguy79 06-05-2011 10:12 PM

Been there, done that Bill exactly the way you described... jumped into the pool with the cell. Too bad I didn't know what you've indicated then. Had fried cell for dinner after a 3 day wait and didn't get another cell until the current contract was up in about a year to two! Guess I couldn't be trusted with one! :wave:

Pturner 06-05-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 360109)
memason/pturner - There's a line in there somewhere about "Talking out of your........" - oh, never mind!! :wave:

:popcorn: