Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Looking at GPS units (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/looking-gps-units-39299/)

Fourpar 06-08-2011 06:52 AM

Looking at GPS units

Am thinking of buying a GPS (I know, behind the times:-) Anyone care to share experience, opinions, etc. on what brand/model?

l2ridehd 06-08-2011 07:00 AM

I would look at getting the app for your cell phone. If you have a smart phone, (iphone, android, etc) you can get an app for a navigation system. Same for a golf course app. Replace gps, skycaddy, and probably other widely used devices.

Bill-n-Brillo 06-08-2011 07:04 AM

Here are a couple of recent posts on the topic:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ad.php?t=37652

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ad.php?t=36388

Bill :)

memason 06-08-2011 07:04 AM

What type of GPS are you looking to purchase? For golf or car?

DENNIS G 06-08-2011 08:37 AM

Gps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourpar (Post 360681)
Am thinking of buying a GPS (I know, behind the times:-) Anyone care to share experience, opinions, etc. on what brand/model?

I just ordered a Garmin 1450LMT from the Garmin Factory Outlet Store. It has lifetime map updates and traffic. Was over $100 cheaper than local stores. Go to www.garmin.com, click link to outlet store. Mine works great, has all TV streets, my old Tom Tom after 9 ($400 total) updates still does not have them.

tomdice 06-08-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENNIS G (Post 360711)
I just ordered a Garmin 1450LMT from the Garmin Factory Outlet Store. It has lifetime map updates and traffic. Was over $100 cheaper than local stores. Go to www.garmin.com, click link to outlet store. Mine works great, has all TV streets, my old Tom Tom after 9 ($400 total) updates still does not have them.

Does it show Jordan St???

rjm1cc 06-08-2011 11:19 AM

Get one that speaks the names of the roads.
Large screen.
In bright sun you may have problems reading any GPS.
One that you can subscript to free map updates.Maps are expensive and in TV you might want to stay current on maps.

BobKat1 06-08-2011 12:02 PM

Consumer Reports recently tested some GPS units. If you have access to some recent back issues (library etc.) there is some good information as well as pros and cons of each.

Figmo Bohica 06-08-2011 02:43 PM

Do lots of research. We have two Garrmin units. Cost us 90 bucks each for life time updates. Was way out of date on our first visit to the villages. After update, shows the new Buttonwood streets and lots of other things.

Some Garmin units come with a life time update when you purchase the unit. We have found that they are really great for getting around in new cities but leave a lot to be desired when going from city to city. Our RV Gramin was great for keeping us out of tight spots, at the time was pulling a 37 foot 5th Wheel.

A GPS is easier, IMO, to use when driving that an iphone or other hand held device. Lots safer to.

tomdice 06-08-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figmo Bohica (Post 360823)
Do lots of research. We have two Garrmin units. Cost us 90 bucks each for life time updates. Was way out of date on our first visit to the villages. After update, shows the new Buttonwood streets and lots of other things.

Some Garmin units come with a life time update when you purchase the unit. We have found that they are really great for getting around in new cities but leave a lot to be desired when going from city to city. Our RV Gramin was great for keeping us out of tight spots, at the time was pulling a 37 foot 5th Wheel.

A GPS is easier, IMO, to use when driving that an iphone or other hand held device. Lots safer to.

do u get jordan st on your gps?

springfield illinois 06-08-2011 03:36 PM

TV no gps for cart paths

Instead of selling a map for $5 that costs pennies..TV should have a gps that has all the rec centers.golf courses, other attractions with maps to take you where you wanted to go in a golf cart path...if your business is not part of TV company..they could sell you a spot in one of the navigation sections. Would be great to have an iPhone app with the data base of the activities you could put in phone...it's Wednesday at 11 a.m want to pickleball where are the locations that have open play at this time? It shows what is avaiable, you chose where u want to play, and the iPhone with the internal gps app will take u there via cart route or via automobile route. All this can be done it is practice in many colleges for visitors or new students. I bet this could be paid for with one weeks receipts from one bait shack. They could sell the app, or maybe just give it away for promotion (not a chance). It sure would make visitors much more at ease. The more relaxed they are the better the chance of buying!

tomdice 06-08-2011 03:37 PM

Gps

Can any1 tell me can u get JORDAN ST to show up on your gps?

BobKat1 06-08-2011 03:44 PM

Hey, I don't even live in TV, and want to know if Jordan Street shows up on anyones GPS.:)

Shimpy 06-08-2011 03:50 PM

As far as I'm concerned Garmin is the only brand to get. I've known several that got other top well known brands only to regret it compared to Garmin.

memason 06-08-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfield illinois (Post 360841)
Instead of selling a map for $5 that costs pennies..TV should have a gps that has all the rec centers.golf courses, other attractions with maps to take you where you wanted to go in a golf cart path...if your business is not part of TV company..they could sell you a spot in one of the navigation sections. Would be great to have an iPhone app with the data base of the activities you could put in phone...it's Wednesday at 11 a.m want to pickleball where are the locations that have open play at this time? It shows what is avaiable, you chose where u want to play, and the iPhone with the internal gps app will take u there via cart route or via automobile route. All this can be done it is practice in many colleges for visitors or new students. I bet this could be paid for with one weeks receipts from one bait shack. They could sell the app, or maybe just give it away for promotion (not a chance). It sure would make visitors much more at ease. The more relaxed they are the better the chance of buying!

My Android smartphone has all of the cart trails on it....