Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Lawn Care Question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/lawn-care-question-39363/)

Raen Dear 06-10-2011 12:17 PM

Lawn Care Question

We purchased a new CYV in Southern Star Villas in May and will be visiting for the first time the last week in June. I bought the home but Hubster has never seen it. We have a management company and lawn mowing, etc. but question what is needed in terms of pest control and fertilizing. My feeling is we could wait a couple weeks until we are there and handle it then but Hubster is concerned that there may be treatments that should be undertaken soonest. We are from upstate NY and have no experience whatsoever with lawn care in the TV area. Termite controls was part of the sales package.

Is there any pest control applications that need to be done RIGHT NOW? Any recommendations for servicers. Other threads have addressed such recommedations but I would appreciate help if I need to act now.

Thanks. TOTV is essential and much appreciated.

Bill-n-Brillo 06-10-2011 12:26 PM

Raen, it can be advantageous to deal with the company who pre-treated your home and foundation prior to construction. For example: Our resale Patio Villa was treated initially by Dean's and the original homeowners continued to use them after their closing. When we purchased from the original homeowners, they said if we continue with Dean's, the lifetime warranty for termites would transfer. I checked with Dean's and indeed found that to be the case. To us, it seemed like the thing to do! I checked on feedback related to Dean's as well as some info/pricing for other companies' services and felt sticking with Dean's was the best choice.

Bill :)

skyguy79 06-10-2011 12:55 PM

My suggestion would be to wait. Two or three weeks in all liklyhood won't make much of a diffference.

We bought in January and I liked being able to have services come to the house and talk to them face to face and be able to communicate in a manner that would be difficult by phone or other method. I'm currently having a potential lawn care problem and I hate not being in TV at this time if I'll have to make any changes. Don't like it when I'm there; hate it even more when I'm not!

As for pest control, I'd say similar to what Bill stated, we stayed with Massey as they were the previous original owner's service. I know there are other services available that are probably just as good so I won't necessarily recommend Massey or any other service for that matter. It's probably best to give most weight to the service already being used by the previous owner if they feel they got good service or you haven't heard multiple negatives here on TOTV about them.

Best of luck on your new home and hope your Hubster isn't disappointed! :wave:

Raen Dear 06-11-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 361348)
My suggestion would be to wait. Two or three weeks in all liklyhood won't make much of a diffference.

We bought in January and I liked being able to have services come to the house and talk to them face to face and be able to communicate in a manner that would be difficult by phone or other method. I'm currently having a potential lawn care problem and I hate not being in TV at this time if I'll have to make any changes. Don't like it when I'm there; hate it even more when I'm not!

As for pest control, I'd say similar to what Bill stated, we stayed with Massey as they were the previous original owner's service. I know there are other services available that are probably just as good so I won't necessarily recommend Massey or any other service for that matter. It's probably best to give most weight to the service already being used by the previous owner if they feel they got good service or you haven't heard multiple negatives here on TOTV about them.

Best of luck on your new home and hope your Hubster isn't disappointed! :wave:

Thanks. I like the idea of consolidating services. Our villa is surrounded by golf courses -- the Hubster will be in heaven.

skyguy79 06-11-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raen Dear (Post 361617)
Our villa is surrounded by golf courses -- the Hubster will be in heaven.

If your villa is surrounded by golf courses, how will you get your vehicle and golf cart in and out of your driveway? :throwtomatoes:

Iowa Hawkeye 06-12-2011 08:13 AM

Raen, do you think if we coordinated services with other neighbors we might get a better deal? Maybe Massey and Tri-Country?

Hawkmom3 10-08-2011 03:48 PM

Go hawks!

kajo1843 11-16-2011 08:04 PM

I like Massey for termite and in-house pest control. I really like Scott's for lawn fertilization and pest control