Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Unbroken (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/unbroken-39425/)

Ohiogirl 06-13-2011 07:29 AM

Unbroken

by Laura Hillebrand. Anyone else read this? I'm just getting into it and finding it fascinating - and I don't usually read non-fiction. My Ohio book club is discussing it on Wed. and it is starting out so good I think I will get thru it in time. I got a late start.

kittylecroix 06-13-2011 08:51 AM

Unbroken

I read it and also found it facinating. It's hard to believe the suffering the main character endured and survived. I find reading about WWII much more interesting than I did when I was in school. It's unbelieveable what human beings will do to each other. War is a terrible thing.

jackz 06-13-2011 08:59 AM

Outstanding book.

I had heard the stories about how inhumane the japanese treated POW's but this book brought it home.

Also, the subject of the book, Louie Zamperini is in his 90's and according to his website is available for motivational speeches. Amazing.

Great read.

Pturner 06-13-2011 05:48 PM

Hi Ohio,
My hubby just finished it and raved about it. It's on my reading list.

GTTPF 10-19-2011 11:01 PM

I read it also and liked it very much. It was amazing what he went through in WW2. I would highly recommend this book. :coolsmiley:

jblum315 10-20-2011 04:39 AM

Sorry to be out of step - I got bored with it. Bought it on the strength of "Seabiscuit" but this one seemed such an old familiar story.

Taj44 10-20-2011 04:58 AM

We read it for our book club as well - fascinating look at world war II, and the limits of human endurance and suffering. Our club gave it a high rating.

gatherer47 10-21-2011 08:23 AM

I had heard about this book and found a copy at a Goodwill store in perfect condition for two dollars.Starting it today.

RocPilot 10-25-2011 03:51 PM

Loved it, if you did also you might also like "The Forgotten 500" by Gregory Freeman.

daca55 02-16-2012 07:37 AM

:clap2: I read it and it was an eye opener to me as far as how the Japanese treated POW's. What Louie Zamperini went through and survived is amazing. I doubt that many of us today would be able to endure the torture and starvation he and all the Japanese held POW's went through. I definitely would recommend this book. It is no wonder it has been on the NY Best Sellers List for as long as it has.

Graytop 02-16-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daca55 (Post 454051)
:clap2: I read it and it was an eye opener to me as far as how the Japanese treated POW's. What Louie Zamperini went through and survived is amazing. I doubt that many of us today would be able to endure the torture and starvation he and all the Japanese held POW's went through. I definitely would recommend this book. It is no wonder it has been on the NY Best Sellers List for as long as it has.

:bigbow: Thank God for the Veterans who fought them, and defeated them !:clap2:

Taltarzac725 02-16-2012 08:44 AM

James D. Hornfischer's Ship of Ghosts: the Story of the USS Houston.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daca55 (Post 454051)

If you liked Unbroken you might like this other book Ship of Ghosts: the Story of the USS Houston. It was a fascinating book with some connections to the movie The Bridge on the River Kwai which from the book Ghost was full of many factual holes.

The USS Houston took FDR on various travels in the last 5 years of the 1930s, then was a Flag Ship, and finally met its fate in a horrific and very one sided battle with the Japanese navy. USS Houston (CA-30) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of the survivors of this sea battle-- The Battle of Sunda Strait http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sunda_Strait -- wound up on the railline depicted in the Kwai movie. This railroad also had terrible conditions for the prisoners.

Taltarzac725 10-06-2012 09:03 AM

Been listening to Unbroken on CD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 454065)
If you liked Unbroken you might like this other book Ship of Ghosts: the Story of the USS Houston. It was a fascinating book with some connections to the movie The Bridge on the River Kwai which from the book Ghost was full of many factual holes.

The USS Houston took FDR on various travels in the last 5 years of the 1930s, then was a Flag Ship, and finally met its fate in a horrific and very one sided battle with the Japanese navy. USS Houston (CA-30) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of the survivors of this sea battle-- The Battle of Sunda Strait Battle of Sunda Strait - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- wound up on the railline depicted in the Kwai movie. This railroad also had terrible conditions for the prisoners.

It is like a lot of other stories but the hero is truly remarkable and Laura Hillenbrand does a great job in telling his story. You wonder how Louis Zamperini even survived his juvenile delinquency.

applesoffh 10-06-2012 05:22 PM

Fabulous read! Mr. Zamperini was recently on The Tonight Show and was just wonderful! Spoke more about his motivational speaking tours than about his POW time, but he's a remarkable man with an unforgettable story.