Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Good but mostly no so good (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/good-but-mostly-no-so-good-39439/)

Talk Host 06-13-2011 04:57 PM

Good but mostly no so good

A friend of ours forgot her purse at Havana County Club restaurant a couple of days ago. When she went back to get it, it had been turned in to the manager. But, not so good, it was already empty. Wallet, credit cards and money gone.

A police report was filed, but little chance of recovery from what we hear. So sad to hear that kind of thing. You would think that in a community like this, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. How do these kind of people sleep at night?

JLK

rubicon 06-13-2011 04:59 PM

Minnesota Nice

Talk Host if that happened in MN the wallet would have come back with $50 more than what it contained before it disappeared:crap2:

mac9 06-13-2011 05:37 PM

Although I would think that the majority of customers there are Villagers, there also are many people from outside that patronize these bars. HOWEVER, Villagers are a mixture of people from around the world and often bring their former ideas and morality with them. Unfortunately, the term "Villagers" does not automatically ring of good and honest. Just the way that it is.

collie1228 06-13-2011 06:16 PM

It's too bad someone dishonest found the purse. Having the opportunity to do the right thing is simply the best. Many years ago when I was in my early thirties, I was privileged to find over $300 dollars in cash just lying on the floor of a mall bathroom. I had my kids with me (ages about 8 and 12), and it was Christmas season and the extra cash would have been just great. But I took my kids and the money to the security office, gave it to them (the money, not the kids), left my name and wrote down the two security officers' names, just to keep them honest. We finished our shopping and we went home. Later that evening a guy my age showed up at my door, with tears in his eyes, to tell me that what I had found was all of his family's Christmas money, and he couldn't believe anyone would turn it in. He offered me some money, but I refused it. My kids remember that entire experience to this day, and I think they are both better people for it. I know I am. It ended up being one of the most gratifying events of my life.

TommyT 06-13-2011 06:27 PM

Employee, I would bet my last dollar. Do they have security or internal video camera system ??

Uptown Girl 06-13-2011 06:41 PM

Great replies from all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 362230)
It's too bad someone dishonest found the purse. Having the opportunity to do the right thing is simply the best. Many years ago when I was in my early thirties, I was privileged to find over $300 dollars in cash just lying on the floor of a mall bathroom. I had my kids with me (ages about 8 and 12), and it was Christmas season and the extra cash would have been just great. But I took my kids and the money to the security office, gave it to them (the money, not the kids), left my name and wrote down the two security officers' names, just to keep them honest. We finished our shopping and we went home. Later that evening a guy my age showed up at my door, with tears in his eyes, to tell me that what I had found was all of his family's Christmas money, and he couldn't believe anyone would turn it in. He offered me some money, but I refused it. My kids remember that entire experience to this day, and I think they are both better people for it. I know I am. It ended up being one of the most gratifying events of my life.

I love personal anecdotes that inspire me. Yours did, Thanks!
As for the light- fingered louse.... the good old karma police will take care of him/her sooner or later. Hope the lady who 'lost' her possessions can let go of any bad feelings and focus on happier things.

philnpat 06-13-2011 07:24 PM

My wife left her purse in a shopping cart in the Target parking lot on 441. When she discovered that it was missing, she called the store and spoke with the manager. It hadn't been turned in.
Two days later the Lady Lake PD called us and told her that her purse had been found totally intact with all cash, cards etc untouched. It was found by a person living outside TV. There are honest folks everywhere.

graciegirl 06-13-2011 07:36 PM

I love The Villages and the people in it.

I believe with all of my heart that what goes around, comes around just as Uptown Girl says......... And I think our community is better, safer, nicer, and more honest than most.

Even If I am grumpy up here ...up to my nostrils in packing boxes.:lipsrsealed:

redwitch 06-13-2011 11:42 PM

I truly think you friend's experience was not the norm. I've heard too many stories where something of value was found and returned fully intact; not just here, but even in San Francisco. Even so, I was surprised to hear that this happened here.

Now, why would you automatically blame the staff? It would be much easier for a customer to go into a purse than a staff member. As was said, not all Villagers are honest and we do get visitors from other areas. To assume it was an employee is, to me, just wrong.

katezbox 06-14-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 362326)

To assume it was an employee is, to me, just wrong.

I agree.

TommyT 06-14-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 362326)
To assume it was an employee is, to me, just wrong.

Ask any retailer or better than that, call the local Sheriff's Dept's and ask them who commits most internal business thefts...

gatherer47 06-14-2011 10:10 AM

I would also say more likely employee-I recently found a wallet between two cars as I was entering a restaurant.Found the person inside who as he was leaving layed some money down on my table and said he wanted to pay my bill.I told him this was not necessary but he quickly walked out.I looked down and there was fifty dollars there.

2BNTV 06-14-2011 11:22 AM

Good and Bad Experiences

I know of two experiences.

Many years ago, I dropped my wallet with $200, credit cards, license, etc, in my condo parking and it was returned by a young person, maybe ten years old fully intact. The mother of the child did not want to take a reward. :)

My son left his $300? leather jacket on his chair at a bar in Manhattan, as he needed to use the restroom. When he came back, it was gone. I advised him to check with the management to see if someone accidently taken it but it was never returned. :(

Skip2MySue 06-14-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 362377)
Ask any retailer or better than that, call the local Sheriff's Dept's and ask them who commits most internal business thefts...

Wow, aren't the majority of us employees either now or in the past. I as an employee couldn't imagine stealing another persons belongings. In fact I would think the majority of us would get a "warm, fuzzy feeling" after returning the item. But obviously someone took it:sad:
Skip 2

bimmertl 06-14-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 362377)

Who else other than "employees" could possibly commit "internal" business thefts???