Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Facebook Question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/facebook-question-39483/)

JenAjd 06-15-2011 03:45 PM

Facebook Question

I have a Acer Netbook and just yesterday my Facebook account became VERY slow..even to the point where it seemed to be freezing up on me. I couldn't scroll my profile and if I'd click on a tab it would take "forever" to appear.
Friends told me to clear my "cookies", to defrag, and update my Windows. I also have AVG for my virus detection and I ran that and it showed "no virus's". It's still acting a bit slow and I'm wondering what more can be done. I'm not very technically knowlegable so would need a step by step direction---if someone could help.
My netbook is less than 2 years old.

JenAjd 06-15-2011 05:01 PM

Bump

Bump!

Raymond 06-15-2011 06:41 PM

Delete Temp. Files
Delete cache
make sure you take care of updates (windows, browser, all hardware).

natickdan 06-15-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenAjd (Post 362749)
I have a Acer Netbook and just yesterday my Facebook account became VERY slow..even to the point where it seemed to be freezing up on me. I couldn't scroll my profile and if I'd click on a tab it would take "forever" to appear.
Friends told me to clear my "cookies", to defrag, and update my Windows. I also have AVG for my virus detection and I ran that and it showed "no virus's". It's still acting a bit slow and I'm wondering what more can be done. I'm not very technically knowlegable so would need a step by step direction---if someone could help.
My netbook is less than 2 years old.

I'm not sure if your problem is related to Facebook, but you should be very careful about what you agree to install from Facebook or, for that matter, email's in general. There are a number of programs that have been known to have a virus or worm that will send out Facebook emails to everyone of your friends and once they install the program, they too, become infected with the virus. For that reason, I do not add or install any programs on my Facebook account.

You should have a very good anti-virus program installed and make sure you have it scheduled to update on a regular basis. The reason you want to always update your anti virus program is because there are so many new virus's being introduced all the time.

Another necessity of having a good antivirus program installed is that it will also check your computer to see what may be causing it to be operating slow. There are a lot of anti-virus programs available and their complexity differs, so ask your local retailer of friend to help you select one that works best for you. Good luck!

JenAjd 06-15-2011 09:10 PM

Thank you for the insights!!

That being said...I did do the updates as indicated in suggestiongs. I'm not sure where you find "cache". I will delete temp files...

I do not download anything extra on Facebook. I only use it to keep in touch with family and friends. I don't "do" games, I don't click on silly things "sent" by "friends". So don't think I contracted a virus..

I may be back with more questions or comments!

VillagesFlorida 06-15-2011 09:17 PM

Facebook has problems all the time. It may not be you! There are times when for several days I will find it very slow going, trying to navigate my way around the site. I used to play Farmtown and they were always working on the servers (this was the notice put out on the site) due to the sheer numbers of people playing this game. Imagine what the site has for traffic at any given time! I'm surprised it doesn't just crash and burn! Wait a few days and the problem may resolve itself.

JenAjd 06-15-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida (Post 362857)
Facebook has problems all the time. It may not be you! There are times when for several days I will find it very slow going, trying to navigate my way around the site. I used to play Farmtown and they were always working on the servers (this was the notice put out on the site) due to the sheer numbers of people playing this game. Imagine what the site has for traffic at any given time! I'm surprised it doesn't just crash and burn! Wait a few days and the problem may resolve itself.

You may be right! It began almost suddenly yesterday. Today it's a tad...no call it less than a smidge better!! NOT a great thing if one needs to check on comments and PM on it!! I'll probably just have to sit tight...and wait!

champion6 06-15-2011 09:34 PM

This might not help, but it won't hurt... set Facebook Chat to "Offline."

Click on Chat (lower right), click on Settings, select Go offline.

JenAjd 06-16-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 362861)
This might not help, but it won't hurt... set Facebook Chat to "Offline."

Click on Chat (lower right), click on Settings, select Go offline.

That's NOT the problem as I've had it set on "off-line" for a good while now as I hated to have people interrupt me with IM's!!! It's probably been "off" now for over a year! Thanks though....:mornincoffee:

JenAjd 06-16-2011 08:50 AM

FOUND....The Solution!!!

I was so frustrated that I did a further search and found out it was in my virus protection. They were aware of it and had a "FIX" for it! If anyone has AVG and also has this problem you can fix it yourself. I'm not a techy and if I can do it, anyone can.

It had to do with AVG Search Shield as an fyi! You can PM me if you want more information.

damiano124 07-21-2011 01:09 AM

what browser are you using? Try using a different browser - Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox -

asianthree 07-21-2011 04:18 PM

Its worse when farmville is running slow and you can't get your crops in before they wither..I buy all my stuff at best buy get the plan and give it to a GEEK to fix...simple

VillagesFlorida 07-21-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damiano124 (Post 372949)
what browser are you using? Try using a different browser - Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox -

Facebook works a lot faster when I use Google Chrome for my browser. Internet Explorer hangs and takes forever to load some some pages. In fact, Chrome is much faster in general, for anything I do on the internet.