Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What do you wish your TV sales rep had told you? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/what-do-you-wish-your-tv-sales-rep-had-told-you-39535/)

champion6 06-17-2011 11:55 AM

What do you wish your TV sales rep had told you?

This is a question for those who built a home in TV. Your answers will help others who are considering this.

What did you find out AFTER the contract was signed that you wish you knew before signing? :shrug:

SALYBOW 06-17-2011 03:10 PM

This is what I wish he had not told me.

We were told by many agents that we would have an ATM at our mailbox. We don't, Pennecamp doesn"t, and St. James doesn't. That is at least 3000 homes without an ATM. :boom::cus:

gmcneill 06-17-2011 04:23 PM

Not that an agent would tell you this, because it would cost them money, but a consideration that might work for you:

Order very basic appliances, very basic interior light/faucet package, and most inexpensive exterior light package...then later purchase upgraded items you might really want but at a cheaper price. Same thing with flooring and window treatments.

Reason is that the taxable value of your home will be based on the sales price. A home with upgraded items (that will eventually be replaced) will appraise higher, thus resulting in higher taxes.

That was our intent when we started pricing our new home go minimalist with interior things, max out extensions on the garage, lania, front, side...however, somewhere along the way convenience the thought of not having to do anything once we move in crowded away that intent. :doh:

billmar 06-17-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcneill (Post 363330)
Not that an agent would tell you this, because it would cost them money, but a consideration that might work for you:

Order very basic appliances, very basic interior light/faucet package, and most inexpensive exterior light package...then later purchase upgraded items you might really want but at a cheaper price. Same thing with flooring and window treatments.

Reason is that the taxable value of your home will be based on the sales price. A home with upgraded items (that will eventually be replaced) will appraise higher, thus resulting in higher taxes.

That was our intent when we started pricing our new home go minimalist with interior things, max out extensions on the garage, lania, front, side...however, somewhere along the way convenience the thought of not having to do anything once we move in crowded away that intent. :doh:

:agree:especially with your last paragraph.

marybb 06-17-2011 05:06 PM

Our agent did tell us about buying a basic model, and upgrading after we closed, that's exactly what we did. He was most helpful.

mulligan 06-17-2011 06:41 PM

Same here. I just did fans, garage door opener,and garage shelving after closing. And by the way, Mike, I'll be happy to help you with any of that stuff in October.

joan729 06-17-2011 07:05 PM

Things i wish i knew to ask.

Here are some things that I wish i knew to ask:
1. How do different elevations affect floor plans in specific models? When I was buying my Gardenia I didn't know that and as a result i have a smaller den than I would have liked.
2.How are real estate taxes affected by occupancy certificate? We received an certificate of occupancy before everything was finished and so we had to pay a full year's real estate taxes instead of a partial first year. If you are having a house built find out what the most appropriate date is to start construction. You probably want settlement to occur in early February rather than in January to save on real estate taxes in the first year.

I hope that you find this helpful. All in all although we could have done some things differently, we love our house and The VILLAGES and you will too!

Pturner 06-17-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joan729 (Post 363390)
Here are some things that I wish i knew to ask:
1. How do different elevations affect floor plans in specific models? When I was buying my Gardenia I didn't know that and as a result i have a smaller den than I would have liked.
2.How are real estate taxes affected by occupancy certificate? We received an certificate of occupancy before everything was finished and so we had to pay a full year's real estate taxes instead of a partial first year. If you are having a house built find out what the most appropriate date is to start construction. You probably want settlement to occur in early February rather than in January to save on real estate taxes in the first year.

I hope that you find this helpful. All in all although we could have done some things differently, we love our house and The VILLAGES and you will too!

Joan729,
Great first post. :eclipsee_gold_cup:

Welcome to TOTV!

champion6 06-17-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 363384)
And by the way, Mike, I'll be happy to help you with any of that stuff in October.

Thanks, Bill. I'll look you up when I install ceiling fans.

katezbox 06-17-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcneill (Post 363330)

Not an expert on property taxes and such, but I have read comments similar to yours and have wondered....Isn't the mill rate here about 14.5... so that would be an additional $14.50 in tax for each $1000 of value (I think). So, if your savings in buying cheap and then swapping out was about $5000, you would spend less than $75 per year in taxes ... and you might not recover the cost of swapping out the "cheap" stuff... If my premise is right (and I know someone will let me know one way or the other), then definitely not worth the inconvenience...

gmcneill 06-17-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katezbox (Post 363417)
Not an expert on property taxes and such, but I have read comments similar to yours and have wondered....Isn't the mill rate here about 14.5... so that would be an additional $14.50 in tax for each $1000 of value (I think). So, if your savings in buying cheap and then swapping out was about $5000, you would spend less than $75 per year in taxes ... and you might not recover the cost of swapping out the "cheap" stuff... If my premise is right (and I know someone will let me know one way or the other), then definitely not worth the inconvenience...

K: I recently read in TOTV that someone saved about $2700 by upgrading their kitchen upgrades after the sale. Who knows how much one would save by buying the fixtures and faucets after the sale. Therefore, I believe your $5000 number is solid enough for discussion purposes.

Staying squarely in the parameters of your premise...in addition to the tax savings of $75 per year, one would add the $5000 savings and any $$ gained from the subsequent sale of the initially purchased base items, or the value of the tax deduction if such items were donated.

Unless one can confidently perform electric and plumbing work, however, the additional labor installation costs will reduce the above savings.

For our particular situation- knowing full well that Wifey and I not only tend to do or go w/out but also talk ourselves out of buying "fancy things"...meaning that we probably would not ever buy all of the planned upgrades- convenience (and a guilty twinge of doing something special for ourselves) triumphed over cash saved.

PS:

I realize that in my original post that I should have stated that some agents might not tell buyers about the above.

I try to avoid being as rude as my post read.

:bowdown: I apologize to all of the agents whom I unintentionally but never the less disrepected.

Hoosiervillager 06-19-2011 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SALYBOW (Post 363310)
We were told by many agents that we would have an ATM at our mailbox. We don't, Pennecamp doesn"t, and St. James doesn't. That is at least 3000 homes without an ATM. :boom::cus:

We didn't have an ATM in Hemingway when we first moved in but it was eventually installed. It looks like in St. James there is a spot for the ATM. I'm expecting it will be installed once the neighborhood is built out.

eremite06 06-19-2011 01:05 PM

Upgraded appliances and fixtures are not accounted for in the art of placing a value on your improvement (home). All that's noted on the appraisal is their presence. So, it's really not worth the trouble.

jaspal 06-19-2011 01:27 PM

I wish that I was told that to have pocket doors on the lanai that they would take away 11 inches off the width of the lanai. I would have added another foot if I had known...

diskman 06-20-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 363252)
This is a question for those who built a home in TV. Your answers will help others who are considering this.

What did you find out AFTER the contract was signed that you wish you knew before signing? :shrug:

I wish she had said " Buy it today because if you wait too long to sell yours you will lose $200,000 of equity and be stuck where you are." :shrug::sad::evil6::cus: