Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   If He Runs; The Next President of the United States. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/if-he-runs-next-president-united-states-39568/)

Guest 06-18-2011 07:23 PM

If He Runs; The Next President of the United States.

This is the man who is going to enthrall the American public like no one has since Ronald Reagan. This outstanding governor of the State Of Texas is a great orator of our American values and will be the President of the U.S. in 2012 if he chooses to accept the nomination.

I've linked a website which has a video of the stirring 20 minute speech this man, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas, gave at the Repubican Leadership Conference today, June 18th, in Louisiana.

I'm pretty sure all of our TOTV resident "rooted" liberals will gag and/or attack him or me or both, but I didn't post this thread for them. I've posted it and the link for those who need real "hope" for a real "change".

(I'm kind of liking the sound of "Rick Perry / Michele Bachmann 2012")

http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2...with_them.html

Guest 06-18-2011 07:35 PM

I'm Willing To LIsten

Given my desire not to vote for any incumbents, I've been quite disappointed with the 'GOP field' so far. With the exception of Romney. I'd really like it if Chris Christie and/or Michael Bloomberg would throw their hats in the ring, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

I'm willing to listen to what Perry has to say. Initially, I thought he was a little too far over the right edge for me, but I'm certainly willing to listen and compare him to Romney on the values and plans they propose. I will be listening for some specifics, not the platitudes that are so often prevalent in political campaigning.

Let's see what happens.

Guest 06-18-2011 07:39 PM

Dang it, Richie, do I get to be the first long-haired, love-beaded hippie to reply to your posting about Rick Perry?

His problem for the Presidency may be that he is governor of Texas. George W. Bush once held that office and was elected to be President. The link between governor of Texas and President just may turn off voters because a lot of Americans, and no small number of Republican primary voters, reminisce about the last Bush presidency the way they might about, say, once having contracted shingles.

I am not saying Perry is a bad choice - but it will be an uphill battle for him to get the nomination and then to win.

Guest 06-18-2011 07:55 PM

One Out Of Three??

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 363650)
...His (Perry's) problem for the Presidency may be that he is governor of Texas. George W. Bush once held that office and was elected to be President. The link between governor of Texas and President just may turn off voters because a lot of Americans, and no small number of Republican primary voters, reminisce about the last Bush presidency the way they might about, say, once having contracted shingles.

I am not saying Perry is a bad choice - but it will be an uphill battle for him to get the nomination and then to win.

Yeah and before Dubya, there was Lyndon and Ike.

Hey, one out of three ain't too bad!

Guest 06-18-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 363654)

Lyndon?

Johnson or LaRouche? :)

Guest 06-18-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 363654)

I'm hope it's not Johnson and the Great Society you're praising. Please tell me I'm mistaken.

Guest 06-18-2011 10:40 PM

I don't think so

I'm a republican through and through. I lived in Texas when Bush was governor and Perry was Lt. governor. Neither one of them was any good. Christie or Rubio would get my vote, if either ran. No one on the current GOP slate is exceptionally impressive. I am watching Pawlenty, however. I reiterate that I think Cain could offer a conservative alternative to Obama, but Cain did not show particularly well in the debate this past Monday.

Guest 06-18-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 363706)
I'm a republican through and through. I lived in Texas when Bush was governor and Perry was Lt. governor. Neither one of them was any good. Christie or Rubio would get my vote, if either ran. No one on the current GOP slate is exceptionally impressive. I am watching Pawlenty, however. I reiterate that I think Cain could offer a conservative alternative to Obama, but Cain did not show particularly well in the debate this past Monday.

New Jersey voters would not vote for Christie for President by a recent survey, and you say you're not enamored with your governor as a presidential candidate. It's a funny thing.

Guest 06-18-2011 11:14 PM

Great post Richie. He's one of my favorites. I've had my ears and eyes on Rick Perry for a while now. He's steadfast in his beliefs. Not everybody like him. Some people don't have the American dream. They dream of changing America and taking us further away from the values and conservative beliefs that believe in individual freedoms. That's okay if they think like that. It keeps everyone on their toes. To me it makes our lives all the more precious and makes me more aware of what I am being asked to give up and give away.

Guest 06-18-2011 11:22 PM

I forgot to say: Power to the people. I think Jesus said that.

Guest 06-19-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 363714)
I forgot to say: Power to the people. I think Jesus said that.

So did Progressive Auto Insurance, John Lennon, the Black Panthers, Viet Nam war protesters, The Pakistan Peoples Party, James Brown, Rage Against The Machine & Public Enemy. :yuck:

Guest 06-19-2011 09:24 PM

Ike

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 363700)
I'm hope it's not Johnson and the Great Society you're praising. Please tell me I'm mistaken.

You're mistaken. Ike accomplished a whole lot and got very little credit for it.

Guest 06-19-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 363956)
You're mistaken. Ike accomplished a whole lot and got very little credit for it.

Whew!; I agree.

Guest 06-20-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 363956)

VK, We often disagree but this time I am in full agreement with you. Ike had the abilities to see the big picture, do what was right for the US and bring along our allies. He oversaw one of the most prosperous and productive eras in American History and laid the groundwork for Kennedy's famous tax cuts and facing down of the USSR in the Cuban Missile crisis. He rejected the French appeal to go into Vietnam and cautioned against ever becoming involved in a war in SE Asia. We remember him most for his Farewell Address and his caution against the Militatary-Industrial complex.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...rfarewell.html

I urge everyone on this board to take the time to read (and hopefully listen to) these very wise addressed to this nation.

The urge to be careful of the influence of the Military-Industrial complex has been met. It is no longer an overwhelming driver of our economy and is less than half of the GDP in this country that it was in Ike’s time.

He had other cautions for us that we have ignored. The first of these was the danger that public policy could become the policy of a scientific-technological elite. This has come true in the death of tens of millions of people and incalculable expenditures in the blind following of the environmentalist movement.

Another was what he termed the element of time. He urged that, “…you and I, and our government -- must avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering for our own ease and convenience the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the material assets of our grandchildren without risking the loss also of their political and spiritual heritage.” One can only wonder what he would think of a United States that piles on trillions upon trillions of debt for our grandchildren to deal with.

Again, take the ten minutes to listen to what he said in less than 2,000 words. IMHO, this is the clearest challenge to the American people since the Gettysburg Address.

Guest 06-20-2011 06:02 AM

And by virtue of the reasoning presented why Perry may not be acceptable....there will never be another black POTUS....eh?

btk