Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Wrong Way Golf carts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/wrong-way-golf-carts-39596/)

skip0358 06-19-2011 07:12 PM

Wrong Way Golf carts

We all know of the fatal accident on Buena Vista Blvd this is just the tip of the iceburg.I'm very saddened that someone perished but people wake up. Yesterday going to LSL on Buena Vista there was a non street legal on Buena Vista Blvd heading towards LSL we met him and handed him a golf cart trail map and said thanks I have one. Today going to Sanibel there was a golf cart going south on Moorse Blvd s/o 466A in the north bound lanes to go to Sanibel. People if you don't know where your going or how to get there ask someone. If you need a golf cart map send me an email address and I'll send you one. NO ride is worth dieing for!!! PLEASE BE CAREFULL

Schaumburger 06-19-2011 08:03 PM

skip0358.

I just sent you a PM.

springfield illinois 06-19-2011 08:19 PM

Wrong way!!

People get confused...the signs on the trails are vvery confusing..there are two sets of indications on the signs you must stop to read and figure it out. Why why why won't Tv create a gps unit with the golf cart paths on it with all the local attractions and golf courses. Via the cart paths...sure some get to know this like the back of there hand, however there are folks that wander around. They are lost they can't read a map, for the most part they struggle. How many folks are lost when these things happen????how many deaths do we have to have?? Just keep them on the paths??

ilovetv 06-19-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfield illinois (Post 363933)
People get confused...the signs on the trails are vvery confusing..there are two sets of indications on the signs you must stop to read and figure it out. Why why why won't Tv create a gps unit with the golf cart paths on it with all the local attractions and golf courses. Via the cart paths...sure some get to know this like the back of there hand, however there are folks that wander around. They are lost they can't read a map, for the most part they struggle. How many folks are lost when these things happen???? I would think the money hungry morses would see the profit potential in this and jump on it!! how many deraths do we have to have?? Just keep them on the paths??

Your suggestion of a GPS with TV and all facilities/attractions and directions how to get there by golf cart is a fantastic idea that would help many visitors and newcomers to navigate places like the circle (and cart bypass/tunnel maze) at Canal St. & Stillwater. (Demonstrating it several times can work, and explaining it is almost impossible.) A GPS of TV would also help people to find and try other facilities they've not used yet.

This is a very large place, and many people are new to roundabouts in a car, much less in a golf cart that has to use a bypass trail and tunnel to get to the other side of a roundabout. There are also many visitors and preview guests here from countries where they drive on the left side of the road. Villages-specific GPS would help lots of people to be safer drivers on the golf carts..

Bogie Shooter 06-20-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovetv (Post 363951)
Your suggestion of a GPS with TV and all facilities/attractions and directions how to get there by golf cart is a fantastic idea that would help many visitors and newcomers to navigate places like the circle (and cart bypass/tunnel maze) at Canal St. & Stillwater. (Demonstrating it several times can work, and explaining it is almost impossible.) A GPS of TV would also help people to find and try other facilities they've not used yet.

This is a very large place, and many people are new to roundabouts in a car, much less in a golf cart that has to use a bypass trail and tunnel to get to the other side of a roundabout. There are also many visitors and preview guests here from countries where they drive on the left side of the road. Villages-specific GPS would help lots of people to be safer drivers on the golf carts..

Would you want it mandatory that everyone have this device? Good luck.

jimmemac 06-20-2011 06:41 AM

map

skip0358
sent you a pm also-did not even know that this map existed-thanks for the offer.
JIM

JenAjd 06-20-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmemac (Post 363996)
skip0358
sent you a pm also-did not even know that this map existed-thanks for the offer.
JIM

Yup they do....you can get them at the Sales Office for $5.00 and probably the Merchantiles. Not sure why you wouldn't know about the maps as we had one even before we'd purchased our home here. (don't take this in a bad way). BUT glad you're on the trail to obtain one.

I concur that the trails can be confusing for a newbie...HOWEVER one can always stop and ask others for information which I did several times when first out on the cart. As for going the wrong way...on a road...don't get that!!! I've seen it on Colony Drive before (a car). I sort of "get" why you might see a car on a golf-cart trail if it's someone who lives here and most of the time drives the cart. They "mindlessly" turn onto these. BUT if it's a clueless person...there's always that white stake in the middle and have to wonder if they didn't think what that was there for. I still wonder about the street legal carts and why anyone would want one. They're out there with all sizes of cars, trucks etc. and pretty much have to have their lives in their own hands. Never mind that they can get to their destination a bit quicker than if they were on the trail. People just NEED to use common sense and think when they're out and about.

For information...in today's Sun there's an article re: cart safety and grandkids driving the golf-cart at Granpa's!!!

memason 06-20-2011 07:40 AM

Villages GPS sounds good on the surface, but I think it would not be financially viable. Too many different platforms to develop for: iOS, Android, Others ???? But, I'm no expert here.

Plus, after you are here for a while, you get the hang of the cart path designs and the GPS is not necessary, nor is the $5 map.

GPS will not stop folks from taking the wrong turn or just ignoring the directions. The GPS in my car would tell you that is a true statement.. :laugh:

Hint: if you have an Android Smartphone, you can use Google Navigate to drive the cart paths. GPS will show your current location, as you drive and the cart paths are visible in the google earth mode. Not sure what the iPhone has these days, for navigation.

Happy carting . . . and keep all 4 wheels on the ground!

EdV 06-20-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenAjd (Post 363998)
... I still wonder about the street legal carts and why anyone would want one. They're out there with all sizes of cars, trucks etc. and pretty much have to have their lives in their own hands.....

I am always confounded when someone posts a statement like this in TOTV. The fact is that you can’t go anywhere in TV in a golf cart without sharing the road with cars and trucks at some point.

Also, the TV sales office has a smaller map that they hand out for free. It shows the main roads with the multimodal paths highlighted in red.

Tbugs 06-20-2011 08:17 AM

I got my map of The Villages for free at AAA. Just show your card and get all maps free. Some great maps of surrounding areas, too, and not only the the state maps.

Schaumburger 06-20-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenAjd (Post 363998)
Yup they do....you can get them at the Sales Office for $5.00 and probably the Merchantiles. Not sure why you wouldn't know about the maps as we had one even before we'd purchased our home here. (don't take this in a bad way). BUT glad you're on the trail to obtain one.

I concur that the trails can be confusing for a newbie...HOWEVER one can always stop and ask others for information which I did several times when first out on the cart. As for going the wrong way...on a road...don't get that!!! I've seen it on Colony Drive before (a car). I sort of "get" why you might see a car on a golf-cart trail if it's someone who lives here and most of the time drives the cart. They "mindlessly" turn onto these. BUT if it's a clueless person...there's always that white stake in the middle and have to wonder if they didn't think what that was there for. I still wonder about the street legal carts and why anyone would want one. They're out there with all sizes of cars, trucks etc. and pretty much have to have their lives in their own hands. Never mind that they can get to their destination a bit quicker than if they were on the trail. People just NEED to use common sense and think when they're out and about.

For information...in today's Sun there's an article re: cart safety and grandkids driving the golf-cart at Granpa's!!!

The $5 map is a detailed, fold out map with all street names. The free golf cart trail map is on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (one page) and has golf cart trails and tunnels marked in red -- only major streets, SS, LSL and the country clubs/golf courses are shown on this map. I will have both the $5 map and the golf cart trail map in the golf cart. And I'm not too shy or embarrassed to ask for directions, so if you are on the golf cart trails from July 7-14, I may stop you for directions!

katezbox 06-21-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaumburger (Post 364226)
The $5 map is a detailed, fold out map with all street names. The free golf cart trail map is on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (one page) and has golf cart trails and tunnels marked in red -- only major streets, SS, LSL and the country clubs/golf courses are shown on this map. I will have both the $5 map and the golf cart trail map in the golf cart. And I'm not too shy or embarrassed to ask for directions, so if you are on the golf cart trails from July 7-14, I may stop you for directions!

And you will likely have at least 3 or 4 people stop if you are pulled over to offer assistance. We have all been there!

Russ_Boston 06-21-2011 10:05 AM

For newbies: Never go past a gate that leads to a roundabout. There will always be a turn (sometimes in both directions) just before the gate for carts to head. (Street Legal's are different of course). And as you come to the end of some road always look for a white sign tha says something like "No carts beyond this point". Head back and look for the way all the other carts are going or wait for someone to ask. Just sit still in the cart and open a map - someone will help.

madrose 06-21-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfield illinois (Post 363933)
People get confused...the signs on the trails are vvery confusing..there are two sets of indications on the signs you must stop to read and figure it out. Why why why won't Tv create a gps unit with the golf cart paths on it with all the local attractions and golf courses. Via the cart paths...sure some get to know this like the back of there hand, however there are folks that wander around. They are lost they can't read a map, for the most part they struggle. How many folks are lost when these things happen????how many deaths do we have to have?? Just keep them on the paths??

With SOOO many golf cart paths and golf carts, The Villages needs more signage....or a painted color coded system or SOMETHING on the cart path trails to help people learn to get around. I will be moving to TV soon, and getting around on the cart paths frightens me. Coming out of those tunnels confuses me as which way to turn. There HAS to be a better way to mark them. From a newbie point of view, I'm just saying...

skip0358 06-21-2011 11:45 AM

Trails

When we first got down here I got up early and went for a ride to see where the trails went. All you really have to remember is which way your going when you leave your house. You'll always get back and you'll learn real quick where the trails go and you'll meet some great people along the way. Someone will always help. The golf cart trail maps do help also. I usually give one out whenever I see someone pulled over.