Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   Sanford Airport. Parking for trip (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/sanford-airport-parking-trip-39614/)

Avista 06-20-2011 12:14 PM

Sanford Airport. Parking for trip

Those who have flown out of Sanford, what did you think of Allegiant Airlines? Where does one park their car for a week? We may have to make a hurry up trip to Rockford, Il and are considering Allegiant.

kfierle 06-20-2011 12:57 PM

My sister has flown Allegiant Airlines and has been very pleased. I am not sure where she parked her car or if she hired transportation to and from the airport.

I hope this helps a bit.

Bogie Shooter 06-20-2011 01:06 PM

There is long term parking at the airport. Goolge Sanford airport and look on their web page.

Ohiogirl 06-20-2011 02:02 PM

when it works it's great

but - friend of mine was flying from Ft Wayne, Indiana to Sanford - I was to pick her up, I think it was scheduled to arrive in the afternoon. This is one of those airlines that has a limited # of planes and they go from one airport to the next (one flight usually from each airport) all day. If there's a plane or weather problem, it affects the flights all that day.

They had a mechanical problem and kept them at the airport all day in Ft Wayne, kept saying would be 1-2 hours all day long. Ended up taking off at around 10:30 or 11:00 that night, got in at about 1:30 am. I had to pick her up.

I have since learned to tell everyone (except our children) to fly into Orlando and take the shuttle or fly to Tampa or Sanford and rent a car.

My friend's husband, at home in Ft. Wayne, saw on their website that the flight was delayed much longer than they were announcing at the airport. Maybe they didn't know, but . . .there are no extra planes to fly in or crew to call in when there is a problem. Same thing happened once to us on Skybus (headquartered in Columbus, OH, which is now defunct. Some great prices, but sometimes you get what you pay for, although stuff does happen with all airlines. If I got a good enough price, I'd probably still fly it (Allegiant).

nussbaum 06-20-2011 03:08 PM

I always fly Allegient back and forth from Sanford to Ft Wayne and rarely is there a delay. I think the time it must have happened to a previous blogger was a rare incident. My plane actually arrived 15 mins early this last time.
They are my only option for non-stop to Fort Wayne and certainly prefer Sanford over OIA. I parked in their long term parking for a week and it seems it was around $85. I think the parking garage is more. It is too bad the shuttle and van from TV won't go to Sanford. It probably isn't cost effective for them.

NJblue 06-30-2011 12:17 AM

Our recent experience with Sanford/Allegiant:

- getting there from TV is a PITA - lots of traffic lights on 441; although shorter the MCO, it takes longer to get there.

- parking at Sanford is a breeze - but since there are no private lots like there are at MCO, it is more expensive to park.

- check-in and security at Sanford was fairly quick

- getting our checked bags at the distant location was a pain - it took 45 minutes. My guess is that since Allegiant has so few flights into some of the cities that they serve that they contract with other carriers at those airports to handle baggage. Obviously, flights from the other airlines get priority.

-getting bags upon our return at Sanford was very fast (which makes sense since Allegiant is the "big dog" at Sanford.)

SALYBOW 06-30-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJblue (Post 366719)
Our recent experience with Sanford/Allegiant:

- getting there from TV is a PITA - lots of traffic lights on 441; although shorter the MCO, it takes longer to get there.

- parking at Sanford is a breeze - but since there are no private lots like there are at MCO, it is more expensive to park.

- check-in and security at Sanford was fairly quick

- getting our checked bags at the distant location was a pain - it took 45 minutes. My guess is that since Allegiant has so few flights into some of the cities that they serve that they contract with other carriers at those airports to handle baggage. Obviously, flights from the other airlines get priority.

-getting bags upon our return at Sanford was very fast (which makes sense since Allegiant is the "big dog" at Sanford.)

I must agree with all of the quote post I chose. We were delayed and herded into a small waiting area which did not have enough seats. Parking at Sanford is $10 a day, but easy. Look at what it is going to really cost you. I found it to be very expensive to fly to Owensburg Ky.