Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   Anyone fly Lufthansa Airlines? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/anyone-fly-lufthansa-airlines-39626/)

ellie123 06-20-2011 07:38 PM

Anyone fly Lufthansa Airlines?

I will be flying this airlines to Germany in November and this will be the first time I have flown out of the United States. Is this a good airline?

missypie 06-20-2011 07:42 PM

Lufthansa has always worked for me. They are professional and friendly. BTW, I have never flown them first class. Always wanted to but never earned the miles.

jackz 06-20-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellie123 (Post 364185)
I will be flying this airlines to Germany in November and this will be the first time I have flown out of the United States. Is this a good airline?

Good airline and if you are a member of United Mileage Plus you will receive United miles from your Lufthansa flights, if you are not, suggest you sign up prior to your flight and make sure your United number is put into your reservation.

collie1228 06-20-2011 07:51 PM

I've made many business class flights on Lufthansa, and always found them to be professional and have high standards. While not as good as many of the Asian airlines (that's where you'll find the best in the world), I'd say they are in the top half of the European carriers, which makes them pretty good in my estimation.

l2ridehd 06-21-2011 03:46 AM

Always liked Lufthansa. Top airlines are Singapore, Cathy Pacific, Air New Zealand, and I also like Qantas. To Europe British Airways has gotten a lot better in the last few years, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic.

Ones I have not enjoyed are All Nippon, Varig, Silk Air, Air Malaysia, and India Air, or was it Air India. Either way try to avoid them.

And I also agree that United Mileage Plus seems to be the most beneficial, so would recommend you join before flying. Safe Travels.

PennBF 06-21-2011 07:23 AM

Experience

We flew from Amsterdan to Frankfort a couple of years ago on Lufthansa and I purchased 1st Class tickets. To my surprise 1st class were the 3 first rows in economy and you did recieve a "boxed lunch" that others had to pay for.
It was truly outrages. This may be a practice in short hauls in Europe and could not be a general practice or they would not be in business. :icon_hungry:

swrinfla 06-21-2011 04:36 PM

Years ago (at least 10), when I was still working in a travel agency our overall philosophy was that state-owned airlines (that is, for example, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM, even Iberia) were preferable to U.S. carriers on most across-the-Atlantic flights.

Over the years, I think the distinctions may very well have become blurred. However, ellie123 specifically asks about Lufthansa. I highly recommend them. I've crossed the Atlantic twice aboard them, both times fortunately in Business Class and couldn't have been happier!

In early August I will fly Orlando-Frankfurt in coach class. Fortunately, Lufthansa uses an Airbus aircraft, which has a 2-4-2 coach seating configuration, and my companion and I have been assigned window-aisle seats!

Much has changed in international air travel since I left the travel agency business. But, ellie123 need not worry about the safety or quality of Lufthansa!

I hope that she has a wonderful journey!

SWR
:beer3:

collie1228 06-21-2011 06:19 PM

PennBF, your post reminded me of an experience that made me laugh. I connected many times from Lufthansa to Croatia Airlines in Frankfort, and the Croatia Airlines flight was an Airbus with "business class" seating, which was the same 3/3 configuration as in the back, but with the middle seat of each row covered by a plastic cover. Same seat, same tray, no entertainment, with the only advantage that you didn't have anyone sitting in the middle seat. And they charged a premium of about $300 for the short flight to Zagreb. What a rip-off. And they flew as a code share with Lufthansa. I'm glad my employer was paying, not me . . .

red tail 06-21-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swrinfla (Post 364404)
Years ago (at least 10), when I was still working in a travel agency our overall philosophy was that state-owned airlines (that is, for example, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM, even Iberia) were preferable to U.S. carriers on most across-the-Atlantic flights.

Over the years, I think the distinctions may very well have become blurred. However, ellie123 specifically asks about Lufthansa. I highly recommend them. I've crossed the Atlantic twice aboard them, both times fortunately in Business Class and couldn't have been happier!

In early August I will fly Orlando-Frankfurt in coach class. Fortunately, Lufthansa uses an Airbus aircraft, which has a 2-4-2 coach seating configuration, and my companion and I have been assigned window-aisle seats!

Much has changed in international air travel since I left the travel agency business. But, ellie123 need not worry about the safety or quality of Lufthansa!

I hope that she has a wonderful journey!

SWR
:beer3:

back in the early 80s i was the northwest airlines station manager in hamburg and we were ground handled by lufthansa which also included maintenance procedures. i can assure you that they are indeed a class act.

jackz 06-21-2011 06:40 PM

Another minor advantage of Lufthansa over U.S. domestic airlines is that the foreign carriers like Lufthansa do not charge for beer, wine and cocktails in coach class on Atlantic Crossings. United and U.S. carriers do charge. If you enjoy wine or a cocktail on long flights, it makes a difference.

red tail 06-21-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackz (Post 364449)
Another minor advantage of Lufthansa over U.S. domestic airlines is that the foreign carriers like Lufthansa do not charge for beer, wine and cocktails in coach class on Atlantic Crossings. United and U.S. carriers do charge. If you enjoy wine or a cocktail on long flights, it makes a difference.

not true.....delta has complimentary beer and wine on intl flt in coach class

jackz 06-21-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 364451)

Thanks for the info. News to me, but I am a million mile United Flyer and rarely fly Delta.

cruz.britt 06-22-2011 08:32 AM

I really like them. They have roomy seats, friendly accommodating staff and edible food, which is rare these days.

BritParrothead 06-23-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruz.britt (Post 364562)
I really like them. They have roomy seats, friendly accommodating staff and edible food, which is rare these days.

Also, Lufthansa serve the BEST coffee of any airline!!:mornincoffee:

katezbox 06-26-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 364451)

Yes - one glass....