Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Feminine Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/feminine-forum-111/)
-   -   Lanai Furniture (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/feminine-forum-111/lanai-furniture-39714/)

kathyzapp 06-23-2011 10:23 AM

Lanai Furniture

I'll most likely have a regular sized lanai and will need to purchase furniture.

I'm considering whether to get a table with chairs or comfortable chairs for relaxing.

Ladies, how do you use your lanais? Meals or relaxation?

Kathy

784caroline 06-23-2011 03:08 PM

Please define a "regular" sized lanai? regular to you may be different to others. The biggest concern in how a lanai is used even in good circumstances is the width. Even if you have a 30 foot long lanai, if its only 8 or 10 foot wide it will require different furniture and have a different use than a 12 (or more) ft wide lanai. 12 foot of width ( or more) is ideal.

How do you plan on using it? How does the lanai face west, east Major difference. Are you a snow bird going to use the lanai only in the winter months or a full time resident..Major differnce. Is back privacy an issue?

Depending on how you respond to some of these questions will not necessarily get you answers to your original question. Alot of people when they first purchase have BIG intentions of using the lanai area. I have seen some beautiful decorated lanais but everything was just right in terms of size and location and direction. However after living here a while alot of people see the lanai as always being dirty, suject to rain and wind, and a literal hot box in the summer ....that is why they enclose it or make it into an all season FLorida room.

My advice is dont rush into decorating the lanai until you really know how you will use it yourself....not just how you intend to use it!

jaspal 06-23-2011 05:48 PM

Both!

kathyzapp 06-23-2011 06:42 PM

I'll try again.

We are visiting TV next week to purchase a new home. We will be living there full time. The houses that we are considering have lanais approx. 15' x 9".

I was wondering how Villagers, who have a lanai this size, use their lanai? Meals or relaxation?

Pturner 06-23-2011 06:58 PM

Hi Kathyzapp,

We use ours both ways. We have a small(cart-table size, but round) table with 4 chairs, a rocker, an easy chair and a small sofa. Ours is east-facing and has privacy. I love to sit on the lanai and read. So, if I could do only one or the other, relaxation would be my choice. Caroline makes an excellent point about deciding how you will use it, if space is limited.

BTW, all very best wishes in finding your TV home!

Debfrommaine 06-23-2011 07:57 PM

We don't really use it, have furniture out there but no time!

Russ_Boston 06-24-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debfrommaine (Post 365008)
We don't really use it, have furniture out there but no time!

I use mine a lot at night. Much cooler and it's nice and quiet to read, relax, watch some tube etc.

katezbox 06-26-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 364992)
Hi Kathyzapp,

We use ours both ways. We have a small(cart-table size, but round) table with 4 chairs, a rocker, an easy chair and a small sofa. Ours is east-facing and has privacy. I love to sit on the lanai and read. So, if I could do only one or the other, relaxation would be my choice. Caroline makes an excellent point about deciding how you will use it, if space is limited.

BTW, all very best wishes in finding your TV home!

I'm loving that the boyz are responding to this one - and they have good advice.

We have a Bridgeport with the four foot expansion. We have a loveseat with two chairs on one side and a pub table in the center. Ont he other wall we have a lot of faux greenery.

I agree with Caroline that it does make sense to get an idea of how you will use the space. Like PT, I love to sit there and read - but also enjoy eating there.

Ours is enclosed so we can use it year round and it faces east (one of our key requirements). We have a villa wall and the Kenya golf course behind us, so lots of privacy.

k

juneau 06-26-2011 08:29 PM

lanai set

I have a 48" round tempered glass table with 4 swivel chairs selling for $200 if you are interested. send me your email address and I'll send pics. junewatkins@att.net