Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   Death Of a Thousand Cuts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/death-thousand-cuts-39728/)

Guest 06-23-2011 05:48 PM

Death Of a Thousand Cuts

Today according to National Public Radio the Republicans threatened to cut Medicare if the Democrats attempted to raise taxes on the rich.

Paul Ryan's plan, the Republican loss of the 26 Congressional District in New York, attempts to privatize SS, now this?

Don't you people need Medicare?

Without it, one serious illness will bankrupt you.

Guest 06-23-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 364962)
Today according to National Public Radio the Republicans threatened to cut Medicare if the Democrats attempted to raise taxes on the rich.

Paul Ryan's plan, the Republican loss of the 26 Congressional District in New York, attempts to privatize SS, now this?

NPR?; seriously?

Guest 06-23-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 364962)

No-one is proposing to do away with Medicare, and yes, I need it since no other medical insurance is available to me. What must be realized is that Medicare is rapidly going broke and will be out of money in a few short years. This is happening whether or not taxes are raised. The discussion of taxes on the ridge is simply a way for those who face the situation and choose to act irresponsibly in hope of one more term.

We have the choice of doing something now or having nothing later. I prefer to take action now rather than having nothing later. The Ryan plan is the first to face this situation in a realistic way. It may not be perfect, but it is the only plan on the table at this time.

Guest 06-23-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 365035)
No-one is proposing to do away with Medicare, and yes, I need it since no other medical insurance is available to me. What must be realized is that Medicare is rapidly going broke and will be out of money in a few short years. This is happening whether or not taxes are raised. The discussion of taxes on the ridge is simply a way for those who face the situation and choose to act irresponsibly in hope of one more term.

We have the choice of doing something now or having nothing later. I prefer to take action now rather than having nothing later. The Ryan plan is the first to face this situation in a realistic way. It may not be perfect, but it is the only plan on the table at this time.

Exactly right. The main thing to know is that the Democrats have no stated plan to concerning Medicare, other than demagoguery. The Ryan plan is the only plan proposed to actually try and save Medicare.

The only thing that maybe rates as a Democrat plan, or scheme really, is to roll everyone into rationed care under the new and massive ObamaCare plan beginning in 2014.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...5dtW4V48o6KM3H

Guest 06-24-2011 07:32 AM

the only problem with the Ryan plan is it a total farce. It might be an attempt but it really a bad plan.

Guest 06-24-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 365069)
the only problem with the Ryan plan is it a total farce. It might be an attempt but it really a bad plan.

Waiting for the Democrat plan to save Medicare. Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.........................(sigh)

Guest 06-24-2011 09:03 AM

the affordable care act was an attempt to re-invent our health care system. Unfortunately the Dems are cowards and the party of no voted no on the entire package. By the way Ryans plan has a lot of the same basic parts as the affordable health care act. The other thing I find interesting is that NONE of the current Presidential candidates have endosed his plan. They are all dancing around it.

Guest 06-24-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 365096)
the affordable care act was an attempt to re-invent our health care system. Unfortunately the Dems are cowards and the party of no voted no on the entire package. By the way Ryans plan has a lot of the same basic parts as the affordable health care act. The other thing I find interesting is that NONE of the current Presidential candidates have endosed his plan. They are all dancing around it.

So why isn't the President trumpeting the provisions coming up in his plan if it is the answer to the Medicare problem? Wanna guess why?

Guest 06-24-2011 09:35 AM

Stubborn Republicans

According to the AP in the Daily Sun -

GOP negotiators abandon bipartisan debt reduction meeting over tax increases. The Republicans walked out of the meeting blaming Democrats for wanting tax increases as part of the deal rather than accepting $1 trillion in cuts to Medicare and other programs.

The Democrats do not support an approach that provides for a $200,000 tax cut for millionaires and billionaires paid for by a $6,000 a year hike in expenses and costs for seniors.

Guest 06-24-2011 02:02 PM

Rich maybe the Pres is giving the Repubs some of their own medicine although I doubt it. It seems our President dislikes confrontation and caves to the Repubs at every turn. While I'm at it what with the moron from South Carolina walking out of the budget meetings because he cant get his own way. Now that's being a responsible adult. I just don't get why repeal of tax cuts for the richest is so foreign to your side.

Guest 06-24-2011 04:09 PM

Can't expect liberals to understand when someone actually holds a principled position and refuses to compromise those principles for expedience. Let's see how it plays out.

Guest 07-04-2011 05:55 PM

Better than from FOX News

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 364996)
NPR?; seriously?

Another quote from NPR: US military spends 20 billion for air conditioning alone in IRAQ every year. This was quoted from a pentagon spokesman.

Not enough money for Medicare? Stop letting the Republicans give you a deadline.

Guest 07-04-2011 05:59 PM

Pat Buchanan

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 365210)
Can't expect liberals to understand when someone actually holds a principled position and refuses to compromise those principles for expedience. Let's see how it plays out.

Pat Buchanan said: "Having a political philosophy is better than having an ideology because a philosophy can be adjusted when new facts are presented."

Guest 07-04-2011 06:04 PM

Ryan Plan

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 365035)

The Ryan plan is a voucher plan. I reiterate: one serious illness will bankrupt you unless you are very rich.
Also without Medicare there is no fee schedule, so everyone pays full price.

Guest 07-04-2011 06:17 PM

Democrats save Medicare?

Quote:

Posted by Guest (Post 365087)
Waiting for the Democrat plan to save Medicare. Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.........................(sigh)

Don't hold your breath. The Republicans control the house.

By the way, unemployment is 9.1 %. Have the House Republicans extended unemployment? Where is their commitment to the Middle Class? Non-existent. You betcha.

Follow the money. Every item on Fox News is designed to save corporations money. Tort reform, denial of global warming, establishing deadlines for the demise of SS and Medicare, etc., etc., etc..

When President Bush proposed privatizing SS, I don't recall a corporate match like they have for SS. The rich know that we will look to them when the Republican deadline for Medicare hits like an A-bomb.

Follow the money.