Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   My Head Is Spinning (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/my-head-spinning-39731/)

Skybo 06-23-2011 07:53 PM

My Head Is Spinning

We are closing on a CYV next week. I’ve read every post in every thread in this forum. Just when I think I’ve narrowed down two or three landscapers to get quotes from (based on positive reviews), I come across negative reviews on those same companies. I’m starting to wish that we had sold our car and kept our truck so we could do some of the work ourselves.

We want to remove all of the junk-bushes in the backyard and replace the pine straw with river rock and sod. Eventually we want to plant 3 or 4 trees, but replacing the pine straw with rock and sod is our first priority.

Don’t need a landscape designer (I know what I want). I just need someone to come in and remove the pine straw and builder bushes, lay a few feet of sod, and put down river rock without messing up the drainage...

With that in mind...any suggestions?

golf2140 06-23-2011 08:08 PM

bump

njbchbum 06-23-2011 09:10 PM

have you seen anything similar to the design you want on any neighbor's property or any property you might have seen while riding around the different villages?

i'd be inclined to look for that and then ask the homeowners who did their work and can they recommend them.

you might also offer here on the boards for anyone who might want add'l shrubbery or mulch that yours are free for the removal - could help you with the demo work and help someone looking for plantings!

KathieI 06-25-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybo (Post 365006)
We are closing on a CYV next week. I’ve read every post in every thread in this forum. Just when I think I’ve narrowed down two or three landscapers to get quotes from (based on positive reviews), I come across negative reviews on those same companies. I’m starting to wish that we had sold our car and kept our truck so we could do some of the work ourselves.

We want to remove all of the junk-bushes in the backyard and replace the pine straw with river rock and sod. Eventually we want to plant 3 or 4 trees, but replacing the pine straw with rock and sod is our first priority.

Don’t need a landscape designer (I know what I want). I just need someone to come in and remove the pine straw and builder bushes, lay a few feet of sod, and put down river rock without messing up the drainage...

With that in mind...any suggestions?

I used a company called BP Mulch and Sod and that's exactly what they do... they are not landscapers, so you need to tell them what you want and they will do it. Very reliable. They advertise in the Daily Sun classified section and I don't have their number handy, but if they are of interest to you, please pm me and I'll get the # for you. Prices were very reasonable, but as I said, they are not designers, so you need to know what you want. They have been doing work here in this area for many years.

JohnN 06-25-2011 08:41 AM

call Have Rock Will Travel.. I think the name is...
he's gotten good reviews elsewhere on threads here and will do exactly that kind of thing. We did a lot in our patio villa ourselves and it's fun, but I wouldn't do rock by myself. (We did mulch)

getdul981 06-25-2011 11:33 AM

Call McGowan's. Sabrina will have her guys do whatever you want. They are very busy and may take a week or two to get to you, but I believe you will be satisfied with their work.

jojo 06-25-2011 02:27 PM

Sabrina McGowan is reliable and the company does good work.

Pturner 06-25-2011 02:32 PM

Skybo,
Congratulations on your new CYV! Relax-- you just made the best move of your life. :beer3:

Although we haven't used her ourselves, we do have neighbors who use McGowen's. Their landscaping is beautiful and they are very satisfied.

Skybo 06-25-2011 04:30 PM

Thanks for all the replies! We will be getting quotes next week based on your responses. I really appreciate it.

nussbaum 06-25-2011 07:12 PM

Putting new shrubs and flowers in after the rock is put down is a major undertaking. Since you know what you want in place of TV landscaping, you might want to have it ready to put in before you put down the rock. I didn't and it was very hard to have to dig with landscaping cloth and stones to move. FYI.

JohnN 06-26-2011 12:23 PM

nussbaum says it right, do the plants before the rock!

greenthumb 07-05-2011 09:58 AM

Give showtime landscaping a call they will come out and install just a single plant for you if wanted they dont push and they do only what u want. give me a pm if you want there info dont have it right this second. i think there in the phone book thou i got them off of service majic great company.