Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Toilets gurgle (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/toilets-gurgle-39864/)

TunaFish 06-29-2011 11:35 AM

Toilets gurgle

I have a patio villa built in 2005 and when the washing machine starts to spin to drain the water out, both toilets gurgle and you can't flush them until later. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I get them snaked? The homeowner across the street has the same problem. Thanks.

Tbugs 06-29-2011 11:50 AM

I have no idea of what the problem is - but a word of advice - if you do call a plumber, do NOT call Pat The Plumber. Lots and lots of overcharging complaints against him.

The Shadow 06-29-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuna51 (Post 366519)
I have a patio villa built in 2005 and when the washing machine starts to spin to drain the water out, both toilets gurgle and you can't flush them until later. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I get them snaked? The homeowner across the street has the same problem. Thanks.

Just a guess, the vent(s) coming out the roof is blocked not permitting air in drain lines to vent so the air is forced to go out a drain in the house.

Bill-n-Brillo 06-29-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shadow (Post 366530)
Just a guess, the vent(s) coming out the roof is blocked not permitting air in drain lines to vent so the air is forced to go out a drain in the house.

Ditto.

Hopefully the vent for the washer drain was installed (properly) and it's just a simple blockage.

Bill :)

ajdeck 06-29-2011 12:26 PM

Toilet Fix

It's either a restricted vent or a bad wax ring. Been through it and mine was the wax ring sucking air. That's what I found out and was told from a plumber, it fixed the problem.

aj

bruce64 06-29-2011 03:00 PM

As a plumber/drain cleaner from NJ you have a clogged sewer line from the house to the street. The line must be snaked to clear the blockage. You might call TV and have them check the sewer main in the street as your neighbor is having the same problem.

kentucky blue 06-29-2011 03:22 PM

In all my rental properties, the few times i've had the problem,it's always been a clogged vent pipe or improper venting, that caused the gurgling.

JimJoe 06-29-2011 06:47 PM

It sounds like your washing machine is sucking water and air from your toilets so it can complete drain cycle. That is the purpose of the venting. Have you always had this problem or did it recently begin? Chances are if you have always had it, there is a problem with the way your venting was designed. If it is a recent problem, or has gotten worse recently, I think you have a blockage in the vent pipe that is preventing the main vent from providing air to the the flush cycle.
JJ