Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Poopetrators Beware (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/poopetrators-beware-39899/)

batman911 06-30-2011 12:42 PM

Poopetrators Beware

Some communities now require all dog owners to have DNA samples taken from thier dogs to be recorded and compared to DNA taken from poop left in public places and other peoples yards. I hope this would apply to cats as well. How long before this is the norm in all communities? Anyone think this is a good idea? Probably not the poopetrators.

http://dogblog.dogster.com/2011/06/3...g-on-the-rise/

May need to copy and paste to your browser.

The Shadow 06-30-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batman911 (Post 366825)
Some communities now require all dog owners to have DNA samples taken from thier dogs to be recorded and compared to DNA taken from poop left in public places and other peoples yards. I hope this would apply to cats as well. How long before this is the norm in all communities? Anyone think this is a good idea? Probably not the poopetrators.

It must be the time difference in Hawaii.

Figmo Bohica 06-30-2011 02:08 PM

What a great idea. Another waste of resources when we are headed down the toilet with over spending by the Federal Government.

skyguy79 06-30-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batman911 (Post 366825)

I hope everyone reads the article because it makes no mention what-so-ever about poop in public places or other peoples yards. It strictly addresses a problem in apartment buildings and condos. Now could it happen in TV? I don't know. Depends on how many apartment buildings and condos there are. Don't think there are many though.

IMHO, if I had a dog, the pooch poop patrol should keep their pooping pooch sniffers out of my business, off my personal property and out of my home. Personal intrusions into our private lives are no substitute for personal responsibility! And the idea of including our feline friends in a poop DNA registry? Well, that's just a wee-wee bit beyond the pale! How many residents of TV actually walk their cat? I myself haven't seen any so far! Has anyone else? And for what few there might be, how many allow their little kitties to take a dump on others lawns? If a cat does dump on one's lawn, it's almost certain that it's a feral cat and not a domesticated one!
:spoken:

Barefoot 06-30-2011 02:26 PM

We have been finding bunny poop in our back yard. Where are the DNA police when you need them.

Jim 9922 06-30-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 366837)
We have been finding bunny poop in our back yard. Where are the DNA police when you need them.

Plant them in your garden. Maybe that is where Easter eggs come from.
Let us know next Spring.
:22yikes:

swrinfla 06-30-2011 02:57 PM

I think I've mentioned this before on TOTV, but it comes to mind again.

The more that time passes, the less things change!

Some 40-45 years ago, I served my first term on the Board of Trustees of my private street association in St. Louis. The major topic of discussion at virtually every quarterly meeting was how to cope with dogs and their business. And, it was always the Number One discussion item at every annual meeting of the residents.

Of course, most folks ignored the newly installed city ordinance that dogs were not allowed to run free.

So, here we are all this time later and folks are still complaining about dogs and their business!

Only, now some communities seem to be trying to force the issue. Mandatory DNA testing. Huge fines if your pooch does his business on neighbor's lawn.

You gotta love progress! :D

SWR
:beer3:

dillywho 06-30-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swrinfla (Post 366851)
I think I've mentioned this before on TOTV, but it comes to mind again.

The more that time passes, the less things change!

Some 40-45 years ago, I served my first term on the Board of Trustees of my private street association in St. Louis. The major topic of discussion at virtually every quarterly meeting was how to cope with dogs and their business. And, it was always the Number One discussion item at every annual meeting of the residents.

Of course, most folks ignored the newly installed city ordinance that dogs were not allowed to run free.

So, here we are all this time later and folks are still complaining about dogs and their business!

Only, now some communities seem to be trying to force the issue. Mandatory DNA testing. Huge fines if your pooch does his business on neighbor's lawn.

You gotta love progress! :D

SWR
:beer3:

Didn't you mean "Number Two" discussion?

gerryann 06-30-2011 04:03 PM

I'm not living in the villages yet, but will be soon. I just came from my local pet park (mutland meadows). Everywhere you look there are poop bags in containers, recepticles, and postings all over to PLEASE pick up the poop. And yet, everywhere I look, there were poop piles. Why do people behave this way??? I just don't get it....:mad:

skyguy79 06-30-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 366837)

Hey! You trying to get me to change my avatar when that's not even my bunny? Well, if that bunny poops on your yard, it's gonna be ghost poop! Poor little thing died in December! {Whoops! Somebody's gonna suggest that DNA be taken from ghost poop now}

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim 9922 (Post 366847)
Plant them in your garden. Maybe that is where Easter eggs come from.
Let us know next Spring.
:22yikes:

"Where Easter eggs come from?!?!?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ore/hahaha.gif

ilovetv 06-30-2011 07:24 PM

Where is common sense?

We have had a dog for the past 30 years. I can't imagine having a dog in an apartment with no yard in which the dog can run, play, sniff out other critters, and to potty in. Any home we rented or bought had as a prerequisite a yard that the dog could be in for hours, without us following it around obsessively with a baggie.

Apparently it's weird, but our small dog does her business in our yard. As far as I know, every homeowner in TV owns their own yard, and they have a right to let their dogs make logs all day long in their own yard.

If the dog is taken out for a walk around town, the dog has to be on a leash, and the owner is supposed to pick up the doo-doo. If somebody does leave dog poop in some grass along a sidewalk or street......

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see any sense to spending money on Poop Police and DNA testing of dog poop here in TV. This is not a condo-style appartment community. We have our own yards. Do people here really want Community Watch money spent on sending out patrolmen to pick up dog poop left by the sidewalk and get samples to send in for DNA testing?!?!???

Is this all people have to do with their time.....getting all p*ssed off about a dog log in the grass by a sidewalk???? If so, I'd recommend the Volunteer Opportunities listings in the newspaper!

Pturner 06-30-2011 07:53 PM

Poopetrater,

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

But the law's dumb. It's a law only The Fumar could love.

skyguy79 06-30-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 366909)
Poopetrater,

But the law's dumb. It's a law only The Fumar could love.

Maybe Fumar's the one behind it but is keeping it a secret out of fear that Gracie and her girls will get ahold of him and give him a good beating with a rolled up newspaper!

Tbugs 06-30-2011 08:33 PM

Why is there all this discussion? There is no way that a community of 80000 and growing could implement such a rule. Maybe for a condo association but not a place as large as The Villages. Give it a rest, already. There is nothing to worry about.

Pturner 06-30-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbugs (Post 366925)
Why is there all this discussion? There is no way that a community of 80000 and growing could implement such a rule. Maybe for a condo association but not a place as large as The Villages. Give it a rest, already. There is nothing to worry about.

Um Bugs,
We're not discussing it because we think it will happen here. We're discussing it because discussing dog poop is what TOTVers do. :laugh:

:doggie::doggie::doggie: