Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Did you move a motorcycle? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/did-you-move-motorcycle-39981/)

angiefox10 07-03-2011 03:32 PM

Did you move a motorcycle?

Who has moved a motorcycle? I have a scooter I want to bring down and would like suggestions as to how to get it there. AND... we can rule out "drive it".

wesmin 07-03-2011 03:40 PM

Moving Motorcycle

I would rent a small trailer from U-Haul or it can be put in a moving van if you take gas out.

Chief X 07-03-2011 03:49 PM

I bought a new 5x8 open trailer (landscape type with tailgate ramp) and transported both of my harleys from NY to the Villages. Once there I sold the trailer (I actually listed it on Craig's List the day before I moved) within 2 weeks. I took a $200 loss on the trailer, but renting one would have cost over $500. Just a thought, good luck!

Talk Host 07-03-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiefox10 (Post 367660)
Who has moved a motorcycle? I have a scooter I want to bring down and would like suggestions as to how to get it there. AND... we can rule out "drive it".

from where would you like to move it? Not Seattle I hope.

FMF Doc 07-03-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiefox10 (Post 367660)

Angie;

I moved a motorcycle here from Tinley Park last week. I rented a nice trailer from Uhaul with a ramp. I fit my motorcycle, air compressor and ladder on it. It cost $321 and I had five days to get it here and return in Lady Lake. If I remember correctly it was a 5x9 and an open trailer.

George

angiefox10 07-03-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMF Doc (Post 367713)
Angie;

I moved a motorcycle here from Tinley Park last week. I rented a nice trailer from Uhaul with a ramp. I fit my motorcycle, air compressor and ladder on it. It cost $321 and I had five days to get it here and return in Lady Lake. If I remember correctly it was a 5x9 and an open trailer.

George

We were looking at that.... In fact, we were looking at an enclosed trailer and moving a bunch of stuff with it. We are coming from Channahon! and BTW... I work in Orland Park.

BobKat1 07-03-2011 08:14 PM

I can't add anything to this conversation, but wanted to say hi to Angie and FMF. I live in Frankfort and Homer Glen before that. You're both lucky to have made the move to TV.

angiefox10 07-03-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobKat1 (Post 367721)
I can't add anything to this conversation, but wanted to say hi to Angie and FMF. I live in Frankfort and Homer Glen before that. You're both lucky to have made the move to TV.

You plan on coming down behind us... Right????

FMF Doc 07-03-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobKat1 (Post 367721)

I hope you can make it soon Bob. You waiting to retire?

George

k2at 07-03-2011 09:51 PM

I bought a used trailer in New Jersey. Moved my cycle down to the villages and sold the trailer for $200 more than I paid for it.

l2ridehd 07-04-2011 04:10 AM

Has anyone done the auto train with a bike? I was thinking that might be the best way. Trailing a bike is a challenge loading and unloading. I need help on both ends. I can probably ride it on the trailer and tie it down, but getting it off requires two strong people. I have an 06 Road King and it weighs 800 pounds. Never been dumped and I don't want the first time to be when I am backing it off a trailer and not even on it. Worst case, I will ride it down.

FMF Doc 07-04-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiefox10 (Post 367718)
We were looking at that.... In fact, we were looking at an enclosed trailer and moving a bunch of stuff with it. We are coming from Channahon! and BTW... I work in Orland Park.

Hopefully you have found another way other than I-80 to get to work. LOL

skyguy79 07-04-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 367762)
Has anyone done the auto train with a bike? I was thinking that might be the best way.

I haven't done the autotrain with a bike, but you can do it if you're riding (not towing) the bike down.

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/autotrain (click Help for instructions if you need it to find out the fees)

BobKat1 07-04-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMF Doc (Post 367786)
Hopefully you have found another way other than I-80 to get to work. LOL

We've been avoiding I-80 at all costs. Rt 30 was an alternate but now that constructon is finally ramping up on that road it won't be so good either. The price of progress....

l2ridehd 07-04-2011 02:33 PM

Reading about the auto train and bikes, looks pretty simple and cheap. You just drive it on and off a pallet. And the cost is about $200 for you and the bike. Use more gas then that pulling a trailer. I have a 6 X 10 Landscape trailer with a 4 foot high tail gate, but looks like it might not be so easy riding it on and backing it off. Probably easier then some trailers.