Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Children Driving Golf Carts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/children-driving-golf-carts-40519/)

PennBF 07-22-2011 08:17 AM

Children Driving Golf Carts

I really hope more parents and grandparents would be more alert as to the dangers of letting children drive the golf carts. Yesterday I passed a cart with what appeared to be an 8 or 9 year old driving it, a young child in the middle and what was either a parent or grandparent on the passenger side.
I can't get over how irresponsible the adult(s) are when they let this happen. Not only are they risking the well being of the child but the risk of a law enforcement officer stopping them and giving a ticket.
I really hope that the Sheriff station a deputy on golf paths and watch for the violations as a little enforcement goes a long way in stopping this kind
of disrespect for others. :(

Chi-Town 07-22-2011 09:38 AM

I saw two kids driving a four seater leaving LSL with the adults in the back. The kids must have been the DD's that night.

bluedog103 07-22-2011 10:09 AM

Does anyone ever say anything to the offenders, either the kids or the supposed adults with them?

paulandjean 07-22-2011 10:31 AM

golf carts

I quess they have to learn to drive somewhere?

spk7951 07-22-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedog103 (Post 373369)
Does anyone ever say anything to the offenders, either the kids or the supposed adults with them?

Once last summer I almost ran into a young couple with three kids who had failed to stop when I had the right of way. One child was sitting between the adults, another on mom's lap and the 3rd was standing up. I tried to impress upon them the dangers of what they were doing and they just sat there starring at me and said nothing. My golfing partner simply said that it was hopeless and lets go.

Mudder 07-22-2011 12:37 PM

Two days ago I saw a young girl speeding along in a golf cart on Avienda Central headed right for 441/27, she barely stopped, took a right onto that road. I went in CVS parking lot and she was still out on that road cruising right along. I shutter to think what might have happened next.

Bogie Shooter 07-22-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 373371)
I quess they have to learn to drive somewhere?

This doesn't mean you endorse this practice, does it?

l2ridehd 07-22-2011 01:48 PM

We need bumper stickers that say "Driver over 14 & legal" to put on our golf carts.

Golf-Tinker 07-22-2011 02:33 PM

Grandkids Golf Cart School

The SUN last week had an article about a golf cart school conducted by The Villages during the grandkids summer camp for children 14 years and older. Probably a good idea, but I wonder if the grandparents don't get lulled into complacency about letting the children drive on their own.

Irish Rover 07-22-2011 02:51 PM

I don't think that it's our job to enforce the law, but if we are put in danger then a conversation is in order. The Sheriff is the person to enforce this law. With 80,000 population and climbing, this will be even more prevalent in the future. Post some signs and indicate serious fines for violators. Just my opinion.

ilovetv 07-22-2011 02:53 PM

Pals instead of parents

It's just one more example of the contemporary parenting method of being your child's PAL.....and saying "no" will harm their self-esteem.

thistrucksforyou 07-22-2011 02:56 PM

you can't fix stupid !

l2ridehd 07-22-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thistrucksforyou (Post 373408)

you can't fix stupid !

Now that finally explains what's wrong with Washington. Bet these people letting their 9 year old grandchildren drive the golf carts are retired Senators and Congressman. Finally makes sense.

duffysmom 07-22-2011 03:21 PM

Not only could the child cause a serious accident and suffer all the pain that such a scenario would involve, the adult who owns the cart could potentially lose everything they ever worked for. They would need to have a multi million dollard umbrella policy to stay solvent. It's illegal and foolhardy.

old moe 07-22-2011 03:23 PM

Stop in the name of the law1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 373397)
This doesn't mean you endorse this practice, does it?

I sure hope not!!!!!