Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Walking Paths (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/walking-paths-44334/)

20rls 10-27-2011 06:50 PM

Walking Paths

We have leased a home for 3 months (Jan thru March-2012). This will be our first visit to the villiages and we both like to walk; we have looked on Google Maps and do not appear to br any walking trails. Where does one walk?:crap2:

Bogie Shooter 10-27-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20rls (Post 411359)
We have leased a home for 3 months (Jan thru March-2012). This will be our first visit to the villiages and we both like to walk; we have looked on Google Maps and do not appear to br any walking trails. Where does one walk?:crap2:

There is a walking trail near the Springdale pool, an exercise trail behind Lake Miona rec center. There are many sidewalks at Lake Sumter Landing. Many of the newer villages have sidewalks.

Pturner 10-27-2011 06:59 PM

Hi 20rls,

Welcome to TOTV! Walking is permitted on all of the multi-nodal paths-- that is, all of the paths that are not on the golf courses.

Please let us know how you enjoy your stay here. Bet you're gonna love it!

Bill-n-Brillo 10-27-2011 07:04 PM

Multi-modal paths are all over as well - up and down Morse Blvd, Buena Vista Blvd, El Camino Real, CR466, CR466A, etc. Plenty of places to walk!

Bill :)

skyguy79 10-27-2011 07:29 PM

We're roughly three quarters of a mile from any paths where one can walk. Many people around us simply do their walking on the residential streets. As an alternative idea, someone could give you suggestions as to a good place to drive your cart or auto to base a walk from.

buggyone 10-27-2011 10:16 PM

The multi-modal trails are excellent places for walking. Golf carts and bikes will NOT run you down. Very safe day and night. When walking in the early morning or late evening, be sure to wear a reflective vest when not on a sidewalk, of course.

Taj44 10-28-2011 05:56 AM

There is a nice dedicated walking trail out by Lopez that is quite a few miles long. The exercise trail around Lake Miona rec trail takes about 5-10 minutes to walk, and isn't really suitable if you're a serious walker since it is so short. I do see a lot of people walking around the neighborhood, just on the side of the street or on sidewalks. I personally don't like walking on the multi-modal trails because golf carts go pretty fast, and I feel like I constantly have to be on the lookout for them. Again, I suppose it depends on where you are (what village) and how busy they are.

I occasionally do a loop around Sumter Landing that is quite pretty - walk along the boardwalk towards Morse as far as you can go. You'll end up behind the cottages along the lake. Then head out of there towards Sweetbay, continue on up along Old Camp Road on the multimodal trail. You come to a small park - continue thru the park and it comes out near Barnes and Noble. Then I cross the street and am back at the boardwalk on the lake again. It takes me around 25 minutes at a fast clip.

Its a shame they don't have a nice dedicated walking trail on the south side of TV like they do up near Lopez. The perfect place for one would be on Buena Vista along the preserve near Lake Miona. There is a ton of land there that isn't going to be used. They could have a trail along the fence line through those groves of large oaks, would be so pretty, and not expensive to build.