Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Please No Pet sign (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/please-no-pet-sign-45688/)

jebartle 12-01-2011 01:32 PM

Please No Pet sign

After all other means, had to resort to "Please No Pet" sign in yard....The "ole boy" (we spend lots of time in our yard trying to make it nice) spent the better part of 2 hours, preparing ground (that had been damaged by a lazy neighbor that chose to let her dog urinate in yard), buying sod, watering, having sign made at local Staples.....Now, we wait and hope our neighbors don't take offense....Lord help the first dog-walker that ignores the sign....I can't be held responsible for what the "ole boy" will say!...Yikes....Ole Boy thinks the dog-walker is saying, "Don't want my dog to pee and poop in MY Yard, so will take Fido to YOUR yard!...Ugh! There may be a run at Staples for these signs....Hope Community Watch doesn't have a problem with this!.....Will wait and hope!:a20::a20:

paulandjean 12-01-2011 01:46 PM

Good Luck, I never could understand the people that walk their dogs. They have a leash and yet they let them walk on peoples lawn and do their business. The street I could understand.Them "Dog Walkers" odd bunch.

Bogie Shooter 12-01-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 424283)
After all other means, had to resort to "Please No Pet" sign in yard....The "ole boy" (we spend lots of time in our yard trying to make it nice) spent the better part of 2 hours, preparing ground (that had been damaged by a lazy neighbor that chose to let her dog urinate in yard), buying sod, watering, having sign made at local Staples.....Now, we wait and hope our neighbors don't take offense....Lord help the first dog-walker that ignores the sign....I can't be held responsible for what the "ole boy" will say!...Yikes....Ole Boy thinks the dog-walker is saying, "Don't want my dog to pee and poop in MY Yard, so will take Fido to YOUR yard!...Ugh! There may be a run at Staples for these signs....Hope Community Watch doesn't have a problem with this!.....Will wait and hope!:a20::a20:

The signs will probably have to come down.
I would follow the offender home with a bag of poop and put in on their porch.

Snowbirdtobe 12-01-2011 04:04 PM

Have you tried using the sprinklers to wash away the dog urine?

LittleDog 12-01-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 424288)
The signs will probably have to come down.
I would follow the offender home with a bag of poop and put in on their porch.

There is a house on the corner of Williamsburg and St. Charles in the Village of Poinciana who has had a sign like that in his yard for at least 4 years and it's still there.

John

Bogie Shooter 12-01-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrheydt;42***7
There is a house on the corner of Williamsburg and St. Charles in the Village of Poinciana who has had a sign like that in his yard for at least 4 years and it's still there.

John

One phone call by a neighbor and the sign will eventually come down. I, however, like to see the "Don't pee in my yard" signs all over the place.:duck:

njbchbum 12-01-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 424283)

i sooooo share your pain - and that of the "ole boy"!

in the event that the sign does not do the trick, let me share: we have that problem here in nj. we sought the advice of a vet we know re what to do with the insensitive dog walkers...his response - sprinkle a bit of ground cayenne pepper along the edge of the lawn and a few feet into it...a snootful of that will not injure the pet and will give them cause to not pause there again. a bit inconvenient since it needs to be applied after significant rains - but worth the effort. we found that the cayenne also keeps the crows from investigating what garbage we place at the curb - a side benefit! and the pepper has never done damage to the growth of the lawn. eventually, the walkers learned to keep their pets moving when they approached our property! we only need to do this now when we notice new walkers in the neighborhood.

Happinow 12-01-2011 04:51 PM

Dogs relieving themselves

I have to agree with you all about the dogs not doing their business on your lawn. ATTENTION ALL DOG OWNERS: those of us who don't own dogs do NOT want your dog peeing or pooping anywhere near our lawns. As future Villagers, we will have a fit if your dog relieves himself on our lawn. We are very friendly people but that will put us over the edge. I have heard that the Cayenne pepper works....good luck.:rant-rave:

Taj44 12-01-2011 05:50 PM

I agree with you - best of luck! We've spotted our neighbors walking their dogs on our lawn, very early in the morning when its dark and they probably don't realize we're even up yet.

Irish Rover 12-01-2011 06:45 PM

Welcome to The Villages, America's friendliest home town.

Mikeod 12-01-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Rover (Post 424384)

Friendliness is a two-way street. Friends don't assume it is OK to let their pet defecate on others' property. I was a pet owner, too. Our dogs were NEVER allowed to do their business on other properties. And we walked the dogs around the neighborhood every day. Just sayin'.

True story. We were taking care of my parent's dog, an old Chesapeake retriever, who was blind. Since her urine killed large areas of grass, we decided to make a litter box for her. I built a 4'X4' box about 8" deep and sunk it in the ground under a cover in our back yard. My wife and her friend went to the store to get kitty litter. They were standing in the checkout line with about six 25 lb. bags of kitty litter when the lady behind them leaned over and asked, "Just how big is that cat?" We still laugh about that to this day. We were able to train that old dog to use the litter box in a short time. She could find it despite being blind, although sometimes she got the front end in and let the hind end hang outside the box when she did her thing.

The Village Girl 12-01-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 424287)
Good Luck, I never could understand the people that walk their dogs. They have a leash and yet they let them walk on peoples lawn and do their business. The street I could understand.Them "Dog Walkers" odd bunch.

I'm just curious, ummmm In what village do you reside?

getdul981 12-02-2011 08:09 AM

We have 2 miniature Dachshunds and they have never killed any grass with their urine as far as I know. They always go in our yard and I have never seen a brown spot. Whenever I take them for a walk, I always make sure they are "cleaned out" before we leave our property. They never venture into anyone's yard unless invited and then they're just sniffing around. I carry a poop bag with me just in case one of them doesn't get "cleaned out" before we leave, but they always wind up going in the street and I clean it up.

I always try to be the type of neighbor I would like to have.

Taj44 12-02-2011 08:39 AM

Thank you getdul981 for being such a courteous pet owner. I expect most people do pretty well, and that there are just a few who need to be more thoughtful/responsible.

dog friendly 12-02-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Rover (Post 424384)

Really, these people need to crawl back in the cave where they came from!!!