Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Repair Lamp Post (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/repair-lamp-post-45723/)

nitehawk 12-02-2011 09:23 AM

Repair Lamp Post

Just wondering if anyone else has had to replace the lamp post in the front yard ? Mine has oxidized and need to be replaced. The lamp post is now 7 years old, and has oxidized out at the bottom. Went to HD and was told they dont carry them anymore. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you repair it? I am guessing you can not change the design, height, etc without review board approval.

villages07 12-02-2011 09:32 AM

Pike's Electric has a storefront in LSL .... I recall them having ads about replacing your outdoor lights. Give them a call or stop by and see what they can do for lamp posts.

getdul981 12-02-2011 10:31 AM

It must be something in the soil that causes this. The house we had in VA had a lamp post that looked very similar to these and it was there for 18 years that we lived there. Maybe there's a more durable material that can be had to prevent this. Wonder how painted PVC would work?

dfn8tly 12-02-2011 02:44 PM

Although I've not had to replace my entire lamp post I have had to replace the lighting assembly. I call Lenhart Electric and they did an excellent job. I'd bet they also have a source for the proper post and can do this job for you. I've found them less expensive and more cooperative than Pike's Electric. A couple of phone calls should help guide your thoughts. Good luck.

nkrifats 12-02-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfn8tly (Post 424597)
Although I've not had to replace my entire lamp post I have had to replace the lighting assembly. I call Lenhart Electric and they did an excellent job. I'd bet they also have a source for the proper post and can do this job for you. I've found them less expensive and more cooperative than Pike's Electric. A couple of phone calls should help guide your thoughts. Good luck.

Lenhart was much more cooperative than Pike's in my dealings.

JenAjd 12-02-2011 03:06 PM

If that happened to us...we'd call the warranty office to see what they'd recommend. We wanted a screen door on our lanai slider (couldn't get one at the Big Box stores) and the WO directed us to RoMac who supplies the original windows. They came out with it and installed it...and the cost wasn't all that bad.

jojo 12-02-2011 03:16 PM

Noting two references to Pike's electric not being cooperative, I would add that I have had two dealings with the customer service staff at Pike's Electric in LSL and both were negative. They were not helpful and didn't want to bother to look in a catalog to do a special order. In addition they warned me repeatedly that I couldn't return the item. I had worked with one person and had to run an errand. When I returned she was sitting in plain sight but was eating her lunch and I had to start all over again with another person even though she had looked up the information on her computer.

downeaster 12-02-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdul981 (Post 424527)
It must be something in the soil that causes this. The house we had in VA had a lamp post that looked very similar to these and it was there for 18 years that we lived there. Maybe there's a more durable material that can be had to prevent this. Wonder how painted PVC would work?

You may be right. Only one person in our immediate neighborhood has had a lamp post replaced due to deterioration and he was the only one that had a water softener/purification unit installed.
The drain pipe for the unit goes under ground within a few feet of the lamp post.

elevatorman 12-02-2011 03:44 PM

If you are a do it yourselfer this site has lamps and 84" posts. http://www.shopoutdoorlighting.com/ This is the page for the post http://www.shopoutdoorlighting.com/ol69127.htm

nitehawk 12-02-2011 04:31 PM

I thank everyone for your information. I will let you all know how i make out
thanks again

asianthree 12-02-2011 08:46 PM

If you want the same call the warrenty dept and they will tell you where to get it

jpharmat 12-03-2011 05:34 PM

We had Lenhart replace our lamp post. The man who did the work was friendly, reliable, on time and very professional. Excellent service !!

gjbl8114 03-01-2012 09:06 AM

Lamp post repair

Just had this problem with our six year old home. I called upon the "handyman" Kent Markley 352-753-5846. Delightful gentleman. He's a villager too. He's fast, efficient, reliable and reasonable.... What else could you ask for? Of course, you can do this yourself if you can follow instructions and trust that you do all the electrical hookups correctly. As for me and my husband, we'd rather leave all electrical things to someone else....

nitehawk 03-02-2012 08:21 PM

I replaced mine with a 4" pvc pipe - which was white and i painted it black - put a new light censer, which now works better (light comes on later and goes out earlier) Just think how much money i am saving :smiley: i also put a outlet in the pole so if i want lights for Christmas decorations - they will come on and off with the censer. was not really hard to do --just one problem = could not figure out why had no juice to light of plug = solution was the censer takes a few minutes to turn on = reason is if we get a thunder storm or a dark cloud it will not activate the censer. also painted the outlet black to match pole and replace the light with a better one = got everything from home depot