Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Misc Games in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/misc-games-villages-481/)
-   -   Tennis in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/misc-games-villages-481/tennis-villages-47182/)

Winsor 01-09-2012 10:21 AM

Tennis in The Villages

Does anyone know of a tennis club or association? HWW

chuckinca 01-09-2012 10:36 AM

Links to many TV clubs etc.:

http://www.virginiatrace.com/

(welcome to TOTV!)

villages07 01-09-2012 10:39 AM

Not sure what your specific question is, but, there is a robust tennis program in The Villages. Clay court (for a fee) at Glenview and Lopez with groups, sub list, walk in events, lessons, etc. Stop in at Glenview and get the schedule.

There is also a new club promoting tennis in the Villages that seems to be geared more to the hard courts. Can probably find it in the club list.

There are open play and organized events at the hard courts all around TV...check out the Thurs rec news.

There are both men's and women's senior/super senior USTA teams that compete against other communities.

If you have a more specific question, ask away...

Nancy C Jacobs 11-09-2013 09:27 AM

Do you have to be a priority member in order to play tennis at Glenview or Lopez? Are they the only soft court facilities in The Villages?

jkanvik 11-09-2013 10:19 AM

Glenview CC and Lopez has several hard tru courts and you can put your name on a sub list and get invited to play there. They will also tell you about their walk on programs where you can go and play and meet people of your same tennis ability.

Nancy C Jacobs 11-09-2013 10:33 AM

Thank you so much! I will definitely stop at both clubs.

Do I have to be a priority member to play tennis there?

Twenty years ago I taught tennis for a living but haven't really played much since then due to foot issues. I probably should take a couple of lessons. Do you know if there are any good instructors at either facility? Thanks for your reply.

foxmeadow 11-09-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy C Jacobs (Post 777080)
Thank you so much! I will definitely stop at both clubs.

Do I have to be a priority member to play tennis there?

Twenty years ago I taught tennis for a living but haven't really played much since then due to foot issues. I probably should take a couple of lessons. Do you know if there are any good instructors at either facility? Thanks for your reply.

Whatever you do as a "former" tennis player, do not try PICKLEBALL, 'cause you will get hooked and forget about tennis.

jtduff1 04-24-2014 07:14 AM

I have been in your similar situation and I just yesterday had what is called a hiring lesson with Mike Frank at the Glenview Tennis Courts. It was an hour session for $40. Some instruction was given, but mostly just a hitting session, and you can also take a full lesson for $60 for one hour. Mike can be reached by calling the Glenview Club and ask for his phone numbers. There are also group clinics for a reduce fee, and particular shot of the day lessons as well.

Nancy C Jacobs 05-15-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villages07 (Post 438289)
Not sure what your specific question is, but, there is a robust tennis program in The Villages. Clay court (for a fee) at Glenview and Lopez with groups, sub list, walk in events, lessons, etc. Stop in at Glenview and get the schedule.

There is also a new club promoting tennis in the Villages that seems to be geared more to the hard courts. Can probably find it in the club list.

There are open play and organized events at the hard courts all around TV...check out the Thurs rec news.

There are both men's and women's senior/super senior USTA teams that compete against other communities.

If you have a more specific question, ask away...

Thank you so much! I added a tennis membership and have started playing in a Tuesday group at Glenview. I appreciate the information you shared. I've also met a group of nice ladies who play on hard courts. I'm enjoying getting back into tennis.

Nancy

Nancy C Jacobs 05-15-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtduff1 (Post 867247)
I have been in your similar situation and I just yesterday had what is called a hiring lesson with Mike Frank at the Glenview Tennis Courts. It was an hour session for $40. Some instruction was given, but mostly just a hitting session, and you can also take a full lesson for $60 for one hour. Mike can be reached by calling the Glenview Club and ask for his phone numbers. There are also group clinics for a reduce fee, and particular shot of the day lessons as well.

Thanks! I haven't met Mike yet, but I met Ann Flint. I like your idea of a hitting session and will call and do that.

LndLocked 06-25-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxmeadow (Post 777127)
Whatever you do as a "former" tennis player, do not try PICKLEBALL, 'cause you will get hooked and forget about tennis.

as a "former" (HS 6A State singles runner up & doubles champ, JuCo all conference) .... I tried Pickleball a couple of times as I thought it would be easier on my bad shoulder(s) and it was.

It also bored me completely to tears. I personally found it to be patty cakes with a paddle.

Each to his own.

Ohiogirl 06-25-2014 09:17 PM

Perhaps you need to be rated.

Having been an intermediate (3.5) tennis player for years (I know - way below your level) but also having played pickle ball but better yet - observing the really good players - you will find all you can handle here, either in pickle ball or maybe tennis.

Go to Lake Miona about 10-11:00 am and watch the advanced pickleballers. You might be amazed. Most all were probably former tennis/racketball advanced players. Unless you're maybe John McEnroe, you should be able to find a good match. (I wonder if John has tried pickle ball yet? - I think he'd be great - net players do well).

If you're still too good for the competition, try something new - paddle ball or whatever they call it at Seabreeze.

LndLocked 06-30-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohiogirl (Post 898634)
Having been an intermediate (3.5) tennis player for years (I know - way below your level) but also having played pickle ball but better yet - observing the really good players - you will find all you can handle here, either in pickle ball or maybe tennis.

Go to Lake Miona about 10-11:00 am and watch the advanced pickleballers. You might be amazed. Most all were probably former tennis/racketball advanced players. Unless you're maybe John McEnroe, you should be able to find a good match. (I wonder if John has tried pickle ball yet? - I think he'd be great - net players do well).

If you're still too good for the competition, try something new - paddle ball or whatever they call it at Seabreeze.

I played some of the best Pickleball players in TV. Players that competed and medaled in the Senior Games, both locally and nationally. I simply did not like the lack of "power" in the game.

No reason to take my not liking Pickleball personally. I simply stated both my tennis background and personal feelings about Pickleball.

To those that enjoy it .... great for them, glad they do.