Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Fried Food Heart Risk a Myth says new study (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/fried-food-heart-risk-myth-says-new-study-48009/)

RichieLion 01-25-2012 08:55 PM

Fried Food Heart Risk a Myth says new study

I'm posting this link because of a back and forth I had with Villages PL on healthy living and healthy food which is of great concern to Villages PL.

It's interesting how many of our commonly held beliefs about some food's nutritional value, or it's effect to our health have changed over the years.

I don't know if the indications that it is the type of oil used and not the frying of food itself that is the determining factor to it's health safety, but it's something to think about.

Fried food heart risk 'a myth' - Telegraph

Bill-n-Brillo 01-25-2012 09:03 PM

Worked at a McDonald's for a few years when I was a kid. I remember cooking french fries.............in LARD! :faint: Peeled, cut, washed, blanched, then did the final cooking shot in the deep fryer to finish them - made from scratch right in the store!

It's a wonder people's arteries didn't clog up before they got to the parking lot!!!

Bill :)

ilovetv 01-25-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 445336)
Worked at a McDonald's for a few years when I was a kid. I remember cooking french fries.............in LARD! :faint: Peeled, cut, washed, blanched, then did the final cooking shot in the deep fryer to finish them - made from scratch right in the store!

It's a wonder people's arteries didn't clog up before they got to the parking lot!!!

And frying the McDonalds french fries in lard is why they were delicious and perfect texture back then in the 1960's, and ever since they quit using it, the fries have been terrible. They turn hard and tough if you don't eat them within 3 minutes of being out of the fryer.

The study cited in the article above is about Spain and their use of olive and sunflower oils. It didn't talk about what particular foods they fried versus the foods fried by Britons or other nationalities. Maybe the Spaniards were frying mostly fish and seafood while the Britons were frying mostly red meat. It also didn't mention the wines Spaniards drink regularly with meals, and I think I've read that red wine especially helps against clogged arteries.

pauld315 01-25-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 445336)

You must be a few years older than me (59) I started working there at 16 and about a week after I started there they stopped making the fries in house and we received them frozen in boxes

senior citizen 02-15-2012 07:51 AM

2BNTV 02-15-2012 08:38 AM

This is what I took from the article:

"A well-balanced diet, with plenty of fruit and veg and only a small amount of high fat foods, is best for a healthy heart.”

I prefer my foods to be broiled and rarely eat anything that is fried. I watch for the fat content of a food and how it may be prepared as a in control diabetic.

Everyone has to do what is best for them to ensure their health.

CarGuys 02-15-2012 08:47 AM

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 453507)
Olive oil is indeed the very best for heart health and overall health.
All of my Italian ancestors lived to ripe old ages up to 95 and such, while still being mobile and mentally o.k.

Olive oil and red wine vinegar were the topping for the daily romaine lettuce salad. No bottled dressings like today. Have you ever read the ingredients?
Guar Gum, etc., etc.

They also drank "home made" red wine every day. No sulfites for preservatives. I guess they drank it fast enough.

Even today, everything in moderation. I only use olive oil.

Please ! Does anyone know where I can get a Good Tasting Red Wine that does not have those Sulfites in the product. My Dr's want me to enjoy a glass however the sulfites give me a headache and stuff me up.

No Jokes Angie- Swim and Gracie- LOL

Herv

2BNTV 02-15-2012 08:56 AM

My family was raised drinking wine and had a great tolerance for ti.

They seem to drink it like it was grape juice with no alcohol content in it.

Always in moderation. A couple of glasses like they did would have had me flying high. :)

senior citizen 02-15-2012 09:01 AM

senior citizen 02-15-2012 09:07 AM

senior citizen 02-15-2012 09:14 AM

2BNTV 02-15-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 453566)
I know. Even though I joked that we should all get a case, red wine does give me a headache, like another poster. I believe it's because it's dilating the blood vessels.

When our kids went to Spain as foreign exchange students during their high school years.........they returned saying all the teens drank small shot glasses of red wine like we would drink water. It was common practice.
Probably the same with the Italians.

I still remember my great uncle Vito would would bring the jugs of red wine which he processed himself.................my mom, who was NOT Italian would tease that he had stomped the grapes with his bare feet. Who knows?
He kept my grandmother supplied, that's for sure. They did drink a lot of wine..........but again, they were a jolly crowd. Now, everyone is on some type of anxiety drug.

I agree they enjoyed their wine and drank it like water.

My fathers homemade wine seemed to have the alcohol content of rocket fuel. :)

Their wine was their anti-anxiety drug as they weren't even aware there was such a medication.

graciegirl 02-15-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 453532)
This is what I took from the article:

"A well-balanced diet, with plenty of fruit and veg and only a small amount of high fat foods, is best for a healthy heart.”

I prefer my foods to be broiled and rarely eat anything that is fried. I watch for the fat content of a food and how it may be prepared as a in control diabetic.

Everyone has to do what is best for them to ensure their health.

I agree. Your high lighted statement says it all.

But you Italians don't have the market cornered on longevity. My German Brewmaster dad lived to be 92 and was cutting the grass with a push mower a couple of weeks before he exited this world. It pays to have genes for longevity. To your good health everyone...

senior citizen 02-15-2012 11:20 AM

2BNTV 02-15-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 453634)
Did he also grow his own grapes? Or have them delivered by the bushel?

They were all self sufficient. My uncle provided the wine for a large extended family. He was always welcomed with enthusiasm.

Some of my grandparents family relocated from New York City to Connecticut back in the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's. Hartford and West Hartford.

Others went to upstate New York....Utica, Syracuse, etc. and Ottawa Canada

Delivered by the bushel as we were city slickers. My father supplied the wine for family gatherings and it was appreciated.

My father supervised the wine making, as myself and my brother provided the manual labor. Of course, he first on line to test if it was ready. :) Ahhhh, the old wine grape grinding and pressing machine brings back memories.

My Italian grandfather landed in Youngstown, Ohio and then migrated to Yonkers, New York. he then sent for my grandmother who was still in Italy.

My fathers side, (Portugese), landed in Bedford MA. My father ran away to Newark, N.J. but my grandfather found him and moved the rest of the family. He then ran away to Yonkers, N.Y. and my grandfather found him again. So, he gave up running away.

Born and raised in Yonkers, N.Y., as the rest of the family. My aunt and uncles who were born in Italy and Portugal came over on the boat. That was the story the way I heard it.