Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   It was a simple request..... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/simple-request-48274/)

pooh 01-31-2012 08:15 PM

It was a simple request.....

Men here in TV might not really understand, but women most likely will truly agree with my reasoning. I just asked Mike if he could please remove the rear speakers from our audio surround sound system in the living room. Didn't think too much of it, just take those speakers off of the sofa table behind the sofa, they were driving me nuts. Good husband that he is, he removed them and we just kept the front speakers...well, actually, we put the small rear speakers in the front and moved the larger front speakers to the garage. Now the surround sound feature was no longer. It was missed by spouse. What to do to keep us both happy? Well, maybe move the surround system to the family room and move the soundbar from that room into the living room? Sounds plausible, however, in this instance, DVD players and amplifiers were involved so it was just a tad more work...and then equipment in the cabinet in the family room had to be placed in different locations in the cabinet. Not to worry, it could be done, but now rear speakers had to be set up in new location. Well, while we're in the family room, moving things, two desks and a sleep sofa are no longer needed so why not get rid of them...and while we're at it, the king sized bed in the guest room is really too big, why not get a queen size instead. Okay, the desks, sofa and bed are now gone and the family room needs furniture. The sofa and loveseat from the living room will look great in that room...they are moved! Now the living room is standing room only, literally. Two new loveseats are ordered. While the furniture is making its move from one room to the other, the carpeting in the front bedroom, now the family room, comes under scrutiny, it's buckling all over the place and didn't we want to replace it anyhow? Now new flooring for the bedrooms throughout the house is on order because why do one rooms when all three bedrooms are going to need new flooring. AND, I'm really tired of that red accent wall in the guest bedroom, although nice, it was limiting accessory color choices....bedding, lamps, accessories, you know, all the things that sit in a bedroom along with the bed. Today was repaint the guest room day. The final coat will be dry enough in about thirty minutes to put most of the things that belong in the room, well except for the bed which should be here in a week or so, back. In a few weeks all that stuff comes back out for the new flooring, but the walls are nice and once the flooring is in, all will look shiny and fresh. Heck the paint there was about 5 years old, it needed refreshing... ;)

All this reminds me of a George Burns, Gracie Allen skit...George needed a little putty at a window. Gracie asked what color, he said, "Blue" and so it began! Heck the furniture clashed with the blue,...a designer must be called, new furniture ordered, an architect is needed to move a wall...and so on and so on and so on.... ;)

Now I know why Mike is suddenly calling me Gracie.... :) :) :D

By the way, the surround sound is much better in that front family room than it was in the living room....see what I did for hubby..... :D Lesson? If you have a Lantana and want to have a surround system for your tv, just set it up in that room and save yourself lots and lots of work.... :a20::a20:

Ohiogirl 01-31-2012 08:50 PM

How true . . .

Had to laugh. My younger sister is a writer, a very witty one. Years ago, she wrote an article for Columbus Monthly Magazine based on winning a drawing for 2 bird prints from a local furniture store.

Long story short, she ended up buying a chair that coordinated with the framed pictures, then redecorating the entire room to go with the chair. If I ever get a copy of her article, I'll give you a copy, Pooh. You'd love it.

I'm currently struggling with a similar scenario. I moved about 22 times in my adult life, finally in the last 5-10 moves, got my furniture coordinated enough that I could move pieces back and forth into different rooms in different houses as needed.

Problem is, now I'd kind of like to try some different colors, but when I look around and actually figure out what I would need to change, it is very daunting (and expensive) to go a different route. Plus, I still really like some of my stuff in the old color scheme. What to do, what to do. Probably nothing, or just change a bedroom, which is a lot easier than the whole house. Gives me something to think about, anyway.

Bettiboop 01-31-2012 08:57 PM

:a20: Well...At least it started out a SIMPLE request.:1rotfl:

Happinow 01-31-2012 08:59 PM

Oh my gosh. Better not go out and buy a new color blouse. I see an entire wardrobe change! But you have to admit, change is good and fun too! Good luck with your masterpiece. I'm sure it will be everything you wanted.

Pturner 01-31-2012 09:15 PM

:a20: Poor Mike, I'm exhausted just from reading it.

Bill-n-Brillo 01-31-2012 09:18 PM

Like a snowball rolling down a hill......... :1rotfl:

Glad it all worked out, Pooh!

Bill :)

senior citizen 02-01-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooh (Post 447519)
Men here in TV might not really understand, but women most likely will truly agree with my reasoning. I just asked Mike if he could please remove the rear speakers from our audio surround sound system in the living room. Didn't think too much of it, just take those speakers off of the sofa table behind the sofa, they were driving me nuts. Good husband that he is, he removed them and we just kept the front speakers...well, actually, we put the small rear speakers in the front and moved the larger front speakers to the garage. Now the surround sound feature was no longer. It was missed by spouse. What to do to keep us both happy? Well, maybe move the surround system to the family room and move the soundbar from that room into the living room? Sounds plausible, however, in this instance, DVD players and amplifiers were involved so it was just a tad more work...and then equipment in the cabinet in the family room had to be placed in different locations in the cabinet. Not to worry, it could be done, but now rear speakers had to be set up in new location. Well, while we're in the family room, moving things, two desks and a sleep sofa are no longer needed so why not get rid of them...and while we're at it, the king sized bed in the guest room is really too big, why not get a queen size instead. Okay, the desks, sofa and bed are now gone and the family room needs furniture. The sofa and loveseat from the living room will look great in that room...they are moved! Now the living room is standing room only, literally. Two new loveseats are ordered. While the furniture is making its move from one room to the other, the carpeting in the front bedroom, now the family room, comes under scrutiny, it's buckling all over the place and didn't we want to replace it anyhow? Now new flooring for the bedrooms throughout the house is on order because why do one rooms when all three bedrooms are going to need new flooring. AND, I'm really tired of that red accent wall in the guest bedroom, although nice, it was limiting accessory color choices....bedding, lamps, accessories, you know, all the things that sit in a bedroom along with the bed. Today was repaint the guest room day. The final coat will be dry enough in about thirty minutes to put most of the things that belong in the room, well except for the bed which should be here in a week or so, back. In a few weeks all that stuff comes back out for the new flooring, but the walls are nice and once the flooring is in, all will look shiny and fresh. Heck the paint there was about 5 years old, it needed refreshing... ;)

All this reminds me of a George Burns, Gracie Allen skit...George needed a little putty at a window. Gracie asked what color, he said, "Blue" and so it began! Heck the furniture clashed with the blue,...a designer must be called, new furniture ordered, an architect is needed to move a wall...and so on and so on and so on.... ;)

Now I know why Mike is suddenly calling me Gracie.... :) :) :D

By the way, the surround sound is much better in that front family room than it was in the living room....see what I did for hubby..... :D Lesson? If you have a Lantana and want to have a surround system for your tv, just set it up in that room and save yourself lots and lots of work.... :a20::a20:

I "hear you" and yes, it's a woman thing. This is why often we procrastinate making needed changes........knowing the project will end up larger than life.

Enjoy your "NEW SURROUNDINGS". You deserve them.

I'm trying to convince hubby to "downsize" now before we make our final decision to put our home on the market and relocate. I would prefer to move with only some necessary items and sell or give away our northern stuff.

Easier to buy new down there than to pay the poundage to the movers.

You prove that even monumental changes are survivable. It's always interesting to hear other stories of folks who bought resales and then wanted to change the carpeting or repaint or refurnish "after the fact". I learn so much from reading about everyone elses experience. THANKS FOR SHARING.

Mikeod 02-01-2012 09:14 AM

HELP ME, PLEEEAAASE!!!
:cryin2::cryin2::cryin2::cryin2:

2BNTV 02-01-2012 09:55 AM

Reminds me of this bumper sticker I saw many years ago.

GOD made the world in seven days and created man. HE rested a day and created woman and no man has rested since. :jester:

Don't throw tomatoes at me. I did not make the bumper sticker but I am ducking.

Seriously, it's a woman's thing. One woman where I used to work put in a work request for one thing that really invovled 40 things that needed to be done. It made sense to her and that's all that counted. :)

skyguy79 02-01-2012 10:31 AM

I was disappointed in the ending. Besides my eyes being strained, I kinda expected that everything would have been as it originally was in the beginning! :shocked: