Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   Downton Abbey (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/downton-abbey-48738/)

uujudy 02-12-2012 06:53 PM

Downton Abbey

Does anyone else here watch Downton Abbey?

another Linda 02-12-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uujudy (Post 452455)

Love it! I'm totally hooked. And it's on tonight!!

brostholder 02-12-2012 07:29 PM

I may be the only guy that answers yes. So well done!

Midge538 02-12-2012 07:35 PM

"Yes" ... a wonderful (an addictive) series. The costumes, the scenery, photography, the talent, all depicting the historical beginnings of a monumental change in a culture .... 'that once completely separated those Downstairs from those Upstairs. Here in the US we also once had a 'melded' culture in the US (until the 60s). Now we really have that similar 1900 growing separation .. in reverse. Vote for Mitt (Bishop Willard Romney) to preserve this change. Most of us in TV are $$ fine ... our children and grandchildren, & great grandchildren will then have to deal with the new reality they will face. "Hey, that's their problem."

ljones190 02-12-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uujudy (Post 452455)

We love it, we saw the first season on Netflix. We love period pieces and English Television. Suggest you try Netflix for free for 30 days and you can stream similar series as much as you want.

uujudy 02-13-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljones190 (Post 452481)
We love it, we saw the first season on Netflix. We love period pieces and English Television. Suggest you try Netflix for free for 30 days and you can stream similar series as much as you want.

Ljones, how does that work? Don't I need a wii or something to make it work?

jblum315 02-13-2012 05:32 AM

yes you do need a wifi setup to get Netflix on your TV. But I think you can stream Netflix to your computer monitor without any Wifi.

ljones190 02-13-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uujudy (Post 452557)
Ljones, how does that work? Don't I need a wii or something to make it work?

uujudy

If you are going to watch on a Television you need hi speed internet in your home, wireless is preferred unless your router is very close to the TV. In our NJ home we have a wireless DVD player which has many services available on the system such as Netflix, Amazon, Pandora Radio and many other others, this device will cost $100.00 to 150.00. We also have a Roku device which does not play DVD's but allows you to stream movies and music with many pre-loaded services, you can buy this at Walmart or Target for about 60.00. You will need a HDMI cable. This all assumes you have a newer TV with HDMI ports. Very easy to set up and install in about 10 minutes. Netflix is $8.00 per month for streaming, it's a bargain.

graciegirl 02-13-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljones190 (Post 452607)
uujudy

If you are going to watch on a Television you need hi speed internet in your home, wireless is preferred unless your router is very close to the TV. In our NJ home we have a wireless DVD player which has many services available on the system such as Netflix, Amazon, Pandora Radio and many other others, this device will cost $100.00 to 150.00. We also have a Roku device which does not play DVD's but allows you to stream movies and music with many pre-loaded services, you can buy this at Walmart or Target for about 60.00. You will need a HDMI cable. This all assumes you have a newer TV with HDMI ports. Very easy to set up and install in about 10 minutes. Netflix is $8.00 per month for streaming, it's a bargain.

This explains why I haven't seen it. Our daughter is always making references to Downton Abbey. It must be worth the time and trouble to get it into that box.

Avista 02-13-2012 09:40 AM

My husband and I never miss an episode. We are still catching up on last years episodes through iTunes. Will miss it when it concludes.

memason 02-13-2012 09:56 AM

All the the season 2 episodes are on PBS: Public Broadcasting Service for your viewing pleasure....for free. There are some season 1 episodes, but I'm not sure how many...

ljones190 02-13-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 452675)
All the the season 2 episodes are on PBS: Public Broadcasting Service for your viewing pleasure....for free. There are some season 1 episodes, but I'm not sure how many...

memmason

Yes they are the same as on PBS. We like to watch whenever we feel like it. Another show on PBS is Doc Martin which is also on Netflix, one of our all time favorites.

caseylou5 02-13-2012 10:47 AM

Downton Abbey

My husband and I both watch and enjoy it.

BritParrothead 02-14-2012 05:54 PM

I made an effort NOT to watch the first season, I did not think it was 'my sort of thing' !! How wrong was I ?? I started to watch the second season part way through, and was surprised how amusing some of it was! My son and my sister love it!
The house is lovely!! And it is lived in today

Mikitv 02-14-2012 05:59 PM

I have been watching it since last year and totally hooked. Season three promises to be just as good.

We never miss it on Sunday night even if we have to record it. Just love it.