Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   food / waste disposal (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/food-waste-disposal-48973/)

suebanj 02-17-2012 09:22 AM

food / waste disposal

Well, just turned the disposal and nothing....guess 11 years old and time for a new one...Has anyone replaced their in sink disposal??/ If so, who would you recommend???

Thanks!!!

Bogie Shooter 02-17-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suebanj (Post 454623)
Well, just turned the disposal and nothing....guess 11 years old and time for a new one...Has anyone replaced their in sink disposal??/ If so, who would you recommend???

Thanks!!!

In-Sink-Erator Home Depot or Lowes. Most DIY can do the replacement. If not it will cost you around$150

mulligan 02-17-2012 11:39 AM

Did you press the red reset button, and make sure it's plugged in?

batman911 02-17-2012 11:59 AM

The red reset button is on the bottom of the disposal.

If you need to replace, easy job if you are handy with tools. You will need to buy the new disposal and plumbers putty . Some can be plugged into an electrical socket, others are hard wired. Check out which you have before you buy. I usually try to buy the same brand as installed so I know the drain fittings will align properly.

aljetmet 02-17-2012 12:55 PM

In-sink-Erator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 454627)
In-Sink-Erator Home Depot or Lowes. Most DIY can do the replacement. If not it will cost you around$150

:thumbup:

We bought one in Lowes about two years ago. Not noisy and works well.
We have an on/off switch near the sink.

suebanj 02-17-2012 04:27 PM

Well, I tried to reset but still won't work..I think the motor is gone....I'll go to Lowes and get another one.....We're not too handy with that sort of thing...Guess a Handyman can put it in for us...Thanks for your replies!!!

Have a great weekend!!

ducati1974 02-17-2012 05:29 PM

I hope you also checked the circuit breaker as garbage disposals have a dedicated circuit!

suebanj 02-17-2012 05:47 PM

Well, when I did hit the reset it ran for a second and then nothing again so pretty sure its the unit....But thanks for the heads up!!

batman911 02-18-2012 03:21 PM

There is a tool that comes with the disposal that allows you to turn the disposal in the opposite direction. This will help clear anything that may be lodged in the blades.

BostonCelt 02-18-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batman911 (Post 455303)
There is a tool that comes with the disposal that allows you to turn the disposal in the opposite direction. This will help clear anything that may be lodged in the blades.

Exactly right. Disposals have a tendency to "freeze", sometimes from stuff lodged in them, sometimes even from non-use.

To unfreeze it, first unplug it or throw the circuit breaker. Then insert the allen wrench-type tool in the hole for it on the bottom of the disposal. Work it back and forth until the blades inside moves freely. Check the red button is pushed in, plug the unit back in, reset the circuit breaker, and try the disposal.

No tool? Again, turn off all power, then try to free up the blades through the top with a long screw driver or the like, pushing as gently as possible on the blades until they free up.

I've seen this work many, many times.

BostonCelt 02-18-2012 05:18 PM

PS for suebanj:...I know you said you're not too handy on that type thing but, if you haven't already replaced it, I'll bet there's a neighbor/friend/etc nearby who would gladly spend 2-3 minutes to save you $100-$150.... I'll do it myself if you'd like.

suebanj 02-19-2012 01:58 PM

Success!!!

Well, thank you for your idea about freeing up the blades....We didn't have the little tool but used a long screwdriver and lo and behold, the disposal now works!!!

Thanks again for the ideas to save me money!!!
Have a great day!:bigbow:

BostonCelt 02-19-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suebanj (Post 455758)
....the disposal now works!!!

Atta boy, girl!!

JeffAVEWS 02-19-2012 09:28 PM

tool

They carry the tool where the disposals are at in Lowes, runs around $5.00 and a handy thing to have. It's better to get it working for $5.00 then spend $100 for a new disposal and $150 to have it installed.