Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Personal information on this site... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/personal-information-site-49644/)

NotGolfer 03-01-2012 06:49 PM

Personal information on this site...

I just wanted to bring something up that's been said plenty of times before on this site. People...it's probably not a good idea to post your personal information when you type in a message. Such as your phone # and e-mail. You can ask folks to "personal message" you which is a better way to make contact. I see this kind of thing over and over again. One can never be too careful!!!

Floridagal 03-01-2012 07:06 PM

I agree with you 100%. To much personal information given out is not a good idea.

JohnN 03-01-2012 07:20 PM

absolutely right..

graciegirl 03-01-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 461245)
I just wanted to bring something up that's been said plenty of times before on this site. People...it's probably not a good idea to post your personal information when you type in a message. Such as your phone # and e-mail. You can ask folks to "personal message" you which is a better way to make contact. I see this kind of thing over and over again. One can never be too careful!!!

I agree. I received an anonymous letter today from someone who reads TOTV. I passed out cards at Crispers with my address. I don't know who wrote it but the writer feels that I do not portray The Villages accurately and I am too positive about this place and the Morses and I am causing people to move here who are later disappointed. They feel I may be a paid blogger. They have moved back to their home state from The Villages recently.

I cannot tell you how sad it made me. They asked me to put "I SEE THE VILLAGES THROUGH ROSE COLORED GLASSES" on all of my posts.

To the person who wrote that letter. You are wrong about me being paid. My posts are sincere. I truly love this place. I am so sorry that anything I said has led to disappointment on your part.

I do see this place through rose colored glasses. I look at it through the eyes of someone who is older and is enjoying every beautiful day given to me.

The letter worries me, because my address is known to someone who I do not know and to someone who doesn't like me and someone who felt strongly enough to write a pretty long letter about it.

So please keep your information to yourself. Be safe.

swimdawg 03-01-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 461305)
I agree. I received an anonymous letter today from someone who reads TOTV. I passed out cards at Crispers with my address. I don't know who wrote it but the writer feels that I do not portray The Villages accurately and I am too positive about this place and the Morses and I am causing people to move here who are later disappointed. They feel I may be a paid blogger. They have moved back to their home state from The Villages recently.

I cannot tell you how sad it made me. They asked me to put "I SEE THE VILLAGES THROUGH ROSE COLORED GLASSES" on all of my posts.

To the person who wrote that letter. You are wrong about me being paid. My posts are sincere. I truly love this place. I am so sorry that anything I said has led to disappointment on your part.

I do see this place through rose colored glasses. I look at it through the eyes of someone who is older and is enjoying every beautiful day given to me.

The letter worries me, because my address is known to someone who I do not know and to someone who doesn't like me and someone who felt strongly enough to write a pretty long letter about it.

First of all, you are right. It is very wise not to give out info.

I'm leary of anyone who would write a letter anonymously...and accuse you of things that are not true. It is cowardly to me. HOW DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING IN THEIR LETTER IS TRUE?

TV is not a Stepford Wives Community. It's the real deal...with real people...the good, the bad...and the ugly (those who write anonymous letters).

I have done a lot of research on retirement communities. There is no other place like TV....in the WORLD.

There will be unhappy people....no matter where you go. There is no utopia.

You do have a positive attitude. I...for one...am so grateful for that positive attitude. You do not see TV thru rose colored glasses. You see it thru the eyes of GracieGirl....a wonderful person who loves TV.

Carry on......and Thank You Gracie!

downeaster 03-01-2012 09:45 PM

Well said NotGolfer. It doesn't hurt to post a reminder once in a while.

downeaster 03-01-2012 09:59 PM

I am so sorry Gracie. You have made no secret of how you love this place. That should not be interpreted as seeing it through rose colored glasses. It is a shame someone has to be so cruel and write such a letter. It makes no sense and I can't help but think that individual is looking for someone to blame for their own failings.

I know this has made you very sad but for that one unpleasant person there are many, many here who think the world of you.

Thank you for sharing your delight in living here with us.

Carla B 03-01-2012 10:06 PM

I agree with Swimdawg. I love Graciegirl's enthusiasm. She has nothing to gain by promoting this place, except for the pleasure of sharing that enthusiasm with others. Excuse me, those of us who buy here are decades past the age of reason and should be able to take responsibility for whatever decisions we make, good or bad.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I've been a member of this site for four years and I'm so grateful that you are still willing to post when others have dropped out.

dillywho 03-01-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Hang in there, Gracie. Just realize that this is just a very unhappy person that has a need to take it out on someone who is definitely their complete opposite. Just remember that the rest of us, especially those of us who have the privilege of knowing you personally, know how you truly do love this place. You have the rare gift of expression, true compassion for others, and gratitude for all your blessings. We need more posters like you, not less. This forum would not be the same without you and TV would not be the same, either.

Ebsmom 03-01-2012 10:49 PM

Personal Information on this site cont'

Gracie you are the spice of the TOTV.. Please let your wit, humor and honest admiration of how you feel continue. I am looking forward to comments from all who have been "Frogs" for awhile and those that are just beginning their journey. Thanks to all who make this site what it is...Extremely Informative!
Ebsmom~

skyguy79 03-01-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Gracie, I thought I remembered someone who used the "rose colored glasses" phrase in a response to you in the past, so I did a little searching to see if I could find where I saw it. I did find it in a post from last year, but I'm not going to mention the name of the person who used the phrase, especially since I can't say it's the same person that wrote the letter. There may have been more instances of it, but I didn't feel that I need look any further since it was exactly who I suspected. I can tell you though that you will not be surprised as to who it was. Ironically you just happen to mention the name to me just yesterday when we came by to visit the kitties!

Bettiboop 03-01-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Goodness GG! I don't think you have anything to apologize for. We are all adults and responsible for making our own decisions. It certainly is no secret that you love your life in The Villages, and I only hope that I will be just as happy there someday, but I certainly won't be blaming you (or anyone else) if it ends up not a good match for me.

jackz 03-02-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Gracie,
In my opinion you see the WORLD through rose colored glasses and I for one am glad you do.

Your upbeat attitude about life is something to envy and you owe no one an apology.

Taltarzac725 03-02-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackz (Post 461383)
Gracie,
In my opinion you see the WORLD through rose colored glasses and I for one am glad you do.

Your upbeat attitude about life is something to envy and you owe no one an apology.

Yes, keep up the cheerleading for the Villages and TOTV, graciegirl. I cannot see how anyone can blame one poster for some bad decision he or she made to move here.

There are many pluses and minuses to the Villages. Like me being a Democrat and under 55 for instance. I have to be very careful just whom I talk to about politics in the Villages. Much like a Republican might have to be in some of the blue states like Massachusetts.

I do not always vote by party having voted for Bush back in 2000. I am just saying, people should be able to get enough information on the Internet to make their own decisions. Moving is a much more critical decision than whom you vote for, but there are plenty of very good resources on the Internet about voting and moving plans.

skyguy79 03-02-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 461421)
Yes, keep up the cheerleading for the Villages and TOTV, graciegirl. I cannot see how anyone can blame one poster for some bad decision he or she made to move here.

There are many pluses and minuses to the Villages. Like me being a Democrat and under 55 for instance. I have to be very careful just whom I talk to about politics in the Villages. Much like a Republican might have to be in some of the blue states like Massachusetts.

I do not always vote by party having voted for Bush back in 2000. I am just saying, people should be able to get enough information on the Internet to make their own decisions. Moving is a much more critical decision than whom you vote for, but there are plenty of very good resources on the Internet about voting and moving plans.

T, as a Republican, a number of thoughts went through my mind as a result of your post, some negative, some positive, but none that I will discuss here for obvious reasons. However, as for your post, in it's entirity, I only have one thing to say... excellent... excellent; I loved it! Thank you!
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c..._thumbs_up.gif