Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Softball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/softball-335/)
-   -   Looking for softball mentor (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/softball-335/looking-softball-mentor-52687/)

Paul B 05-02-2012 02:04 PM

Looking for softball mentor

New to villages and softball
Any one know someone who would like help me with primitive fielding and hitting skills. Would like someone to hit grounders and fly balls and "tweek" non-existent softball skills. Thanks PM or call Paul 1-815-520-1378.

pklein9747 05-02-2012 04:39 PM

Paul,

My hubby, too, is new to softball down here...hasn't played for years. He's on a team starting in about 2 weeks but could also use some "practice" Maybe the two of you could get together?

Pat

Paul B 05-02-2012 07:05 PM

softball practice

Hi Pat, My wife's name also. Thursday or Friday afternoon will work for me, how about you?
Paul

pklein9747 05-02-2012 09:11 PM

Paul,

Bill would love to meet up and practice some catching and hitting. We have a softball but no bat. Why don't you give us a call at 352-633-1356.

Pat

John_W 05-02-2012 09:53 PM

At the Saddlebrook ball fields, that's off Buena Vista just below the Polo Fields, they have open practice every Sunday morning from around 8am until about noon. All you have to do is show up.

Here's my experience since moving here last July which might give you some insight. I will be starting my third softball season on May 12th playing SS for Tamarind Grove. When I went out for evaluations last September I hadn't played softball since 1981, in fact I hadn't even played catch since then. After you go to your three Tuesday morning evaluations you'll start to get a little hang of it. Playing catch among yourselves will get you there a little faster, I did the same thing with my neighbor.

My problem was Tamarind Grove didn't have a team the first season, we are a new village, so I played for Calumet Grove. By the time I finished the evaluations the season had already started, they weren't very good since they were already 0-7 when I joined the team. I got stuck in RF and really hated it at first, bad team and bad position.

That season ended in December but in October while that season was still going on, a fellow in Tamarind Grove stepped forward to coach a team for our village. We began practicing during the week and ordered our uniforms. I got the Calumet coach to move me to SS for our last game of the season, he didn't have anything to lose since we were 0-11. We ended up winning that last game, finishing 1-11.

By the time Tamarind Grove started play in January I was finally feeling confident about my play. Most everyone else on the team was raw in playing experience. We started off slow losing our first three games but got more confident as the games went by, we ended the season two weeks ago 8-5-1 and finished in third place. I started SS for every game and was also lead off batter and just ten months ago I couldn't even play catch.

It will all come back to you in time. If you want to come and watch some games we're between seasons right now, next season starts May 12th. The neighborhood teams play every Saturday from 8:30 until around 3pm at both complexes. This season we are playing our games at Saddlebrook. If you want to play during the week, those teams play two days a week and use Micah bats, which costs $200 and you have to buy your own. If you're just getting back into playing I would suggest going out for just the neighborhood teams.

hulahips 05-03-2012 04:03 PM

softball

will check with my husband. he loves softball, umpires and evaluates!! sunsetgal

PPreu 05-03-2012 04:13 PM

Softball

I am currently out of town for a few days, but would enjoy working with you (and your friend(s) on some of the finer points of the game. You can contact me via email, PPreu@aol.com, and we can set something up.

As a previous writer suggests, it won't take long before those rusty skills make their way to the surface!

Its all about the footwork!!!

Getting in shape, well you're on your own!!! I will point you in the right direction!!!

Fielding, running the bases, throwing, catching, its all fundamental! Batting is a bit more of a skill set but that'll work out too!

"Paul"

Paul B 05-12-2012 10:22 AM

Help

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 487605)
At the Saddlebrook ball fields, that's off Buena Vista just below the Polo Fields, they have open practice every Sunday morning from around 8am until about noon. All you have to do is show up.

Here's my experience since moving here last July which might give you some insight. I will be starting my third softball season on May 12th playing SS for Tamarind Grove. When I went out for evaluations last September I hadn't played softball since 1981, in fact I hadn't even played catch since then. After you go to your three Tuesday morning evaluations you'll start to get a little hang of it. Playing catch among yourselves will get you there a little faster, I did the same thing with my neighbor.

My problem was Tamarind Grove didn't have a team the first season, we are a new village, so I played for Calumet Grove. By the time I finished the evaluations the season had already started, they weren't very good since they were already 0-7 when I joined the team. I got stuck in RF and really hated it at first, bad team and bad position.

That season ended in December but in October while that season was still going on, a fellow in Tamarind Grove stepped forward to coach a team for our village. We began practicing during the week and ordered our uniforms. I got the Calumet coach to move me to SS for our last game of the season, he didn't have anything to lose since we were 0-11. We ended up winning that last game, finishing 1-11.

By the time Tamarind Grove started play in January I was finally feeling confident about my play. Most everyone else on the team was raw in playing experience. We started off slow losing our first three games but got more confident as the games went by, we ended the season two weeks ago 8-5-1 and finished in third place. I started SS for every game and was also lead off batter and just ten months ago I couldn't even play catch.

It will all come back to you in time. If you want to come and watch some games we're between seasons right now, next season starts May 12th. The neighborhood teams play every Saturday from 8:30 until around 3pm at both complexes. This season we are playing our games at Saddlebrook. If you want to play during the week, those teams play two days a week and use Micah bats, which costs $200 and you have to buy your own. If you're just getting back into playing I would suggest going out for just the neighborhood teams.

Thanks for advice.

Paul B 08-20-2012 10:06 AM

Another Viet Vet looking for help. Could you possibly hit me some fly balls? Thanks - Paul
1-815-520-1378

BlueHeronFan 08-20-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 544133)
Another Viet Vet looking for help. Could you possibly hit me some fly balls? Thanks - Paul
1-815-520-1378

Fields are closed until August 27th for normal between season maintenance.