Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   red sauce (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/red-sauce-52795/)

johndamelio 05-04-2012 12:57 PM

red sauce

Being Italian I`ve had great tomato sauces all my life , but the "red sauce" at "red sauce" is inedible. I`ve never tasted a sauce so spicy. It`s like the chef dropped the pepper shaker in it.
You would think that a place that has it for a name would make a decent one.
If you go try the other things on the menu but stay away from the "red sauce".

Mikeod 05-04-2012 03:36 PM

Not uncommon. I grew up on the east coast and then lived most of my adult life on the west coast. There was a noticeable difference in the sauces between the coasts for me. I assume it was the influence of the southwest as the sauces I encountered on the west coast was far more heavily spiced, almost a Mexican red sauce. Because of this, most pizza didn't taste as I expected. I was used to a tomato sauce that had a tomato flavor, not a hot sauce flavor. Even chains like Pizza Hut altered their sauces for the region in which they are located.

On the other hand, friends from the west coast thought the east coast sauces were bland compared to what they were used to.

wendyquat 05-04-2012 07:25 PM

I like it! Most authentic Italian sauce is a bit bland to me! Different strokes!

asianthree 05-04-2012 07:48 PM

We like the take out specials

aln 05-04-2012 08:57 PM

The "red sauce" is ok. But, Red Sauce is in my top 3-4 restaurants in TV

wendyquat 05-04-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 488465)
We like the take out specials

If you are referring to the take-outs from their "market" asianthree that is closed!:faint:

Aloha 05-05-2012 12:03 AM

I ate at red sauce one time with friends. I really don't remember much, good or bad about the sauce or the food. It was a pleasant dining experience, but nothing stands out as being great or failing miserably.

senior citizen 05-05-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 488373)
Not uncommon. I grew up on the east coast and then lived most of my adult life on the west coast. There was a noticeable difference in the sauces between the coasts for me. I assume it was the influence of the southwest as the sauces I encountered on the west coast was far more heavily spiced, almost a Mexican red sauce. Because of this, most pizza didn't taste as I expected. I was used to a tomato sauce that had a tomato flavor, not a hot sauce flavor. Even chains like Pizza Hut altered their sauces for the region in which they are located.

On the other hand, friends from the west coast thought the east coast sauces were bland compared to what they were used to.

You're no doubt correct.

We noticed the same exact thing out west.

Even the eggs were spicier than the northeast.

Locally, our Domino's Pizza chain lost a lot of business when they made their sauce TOO SPICEY for New Englanders tastebuds......they say they've corrected it, but we've never called back. Our Pizza Hut still has a good sauce.

To me, being of Italian descent, it SHOULD NOT BE SPICEY. We're talking a marinara sauce here. However, my dad did sprinkle red pepper flakes on various types of food......but no sense in adding it to the pot.

I like a lot of garlic, basil, oregano and sometimes even fennel..but not hot pepper in tomato sauce for pasta or whatever........such as veal parm or eggplant parm.......just a tasty sauce. Nor would I care for hot sauce or hot pepper in a meat sauce for pasta or lasagna.

Again, perhaps a southwestern acquired taste.

Doctor Who 05-05-2012 09:44 AM

Great food at Red Sauce

I have to say that being from the Jersey area that good Italian food has been difficult to find. We ate at Red Sauce the other evening. First of all we had great service. Ordered zuppa di clams for an app.....tons of clams and the most delicious red gravy with a touch of cream. Next scallops for me and a steak for my wife. A good sample from the menu which did not disapoint. I must say that we are a bit fussy about good food; not always easy to find in TV but Red Sauce does not disappoint. Quality of food seems to get better each time we go. A most enjoyable evening.

Bill32 05-05-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndamelio (Post 488312)
Being Italian I`ve had great tomato sauces all my life , but the "red sauce" at "red sauce" is inedible. I`ve never tasted a sauce so spicy. It`s like the chef dropped the pepper shaker in it.
You would think that a place that has it for a name would make a decent one.
If you go try the other things on the menu but stay away from the "red sauce".

I agree. I worked many years at a gourmet Italian restaurant in NY. There were only a few dishes that had the crushed red pepper in them. I've noticed the food getting hotter after moving south. The chefs put cayenne pepper in almost everything!! Broiled fish, steak, crab cakes,pasta sauce etc. We used to like Outback up north but down here they put so much hot pepper on the steak it makes me wounder what they are trying to hide! I don't have a problem with people who like their food hot ( I had a sister in law who carried a bottle of hot sauce in her purse and put it on virtually everything! ) but I think it should be an option added at the table. Don't get me wrong I love flavorful spicy food but hot isn't a flavor it is a sensation. Maybe because of all the Mexican and south Americans cooking in the restaurants here? I don't know, it's just different here in the south, ..and hotter!!:mornincoffee::smiley:

Posh 08 06-20-2012 06:26 PM

Not the best meal we've had but still good. The sauce is spicy which I dont get. There is an up charge for oil and garlic which i will do next time. Paula was great. She was working a double. Kathy was the bartender outside and sbe was terrific. Will go back.

eweissenbach 06-20-2012 06:43 PM

I like redsauce and they cannot make it too spicy for me. There are dozens of resturaunts in TV and nearby, and there is probably a few that I like and you don't, and vice versa. Otherwise a few would have hour waiting lists and the rest would fail.

jojo 06-20-2012 06:47 PM

Had dinner on the patio to the sounds of Uncle Bob's Rock Shop. Food was good and loved people watching to good music. I think my dish was called "bidi bang" shrimp? It was on toast with a cream spinach sauce and was delicious. Not something I ordinarily would have ordered.

Posh 08 06-20-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 508874)
I like redsauce and they cannot make it too spicy for me. There are dozens of resturaunts in TV and nearby, and there is probably a few that I like and you don't, and vice versa. Otherwise a few would have hour waiting lists and the rest would fail.

I'm with you. Said I'd go back. Great service and all the right touches. Olive oil with basil for bread dippin etc. Just saying I'll pay the up charge for oil and garlic no problem. They have the best men's room as well. Clean and plenty of hand towel. So no what's the problem?

Shirleevee 06-20-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posh 08 (Post 508863)
Not the best meal we've had but still good. The sauce is spicy which I dont get. There is an up charge for oil and garlic which i will do next time. Paula was great. She was working a double. Kathy was the bartender outside and sbe was terrific. Will go back.

I NEVER order anything with red sauce (gravy) in a restaurant. There are so many variations and none is ever as good as where we come from or home. Red Sauce has other dishes that are very good, the mussels, the garganelli are two.

PS........Little Joey's makes the BEST Scungelli in sauce over pasta......:pepper2: