Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sinkhole in Buttonwood (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sinkhole-buttonwood-54176/)

janmcn 05-31-2012 09:13 AM

Sinkhole in Buttonwood

Does anybody have any more information on the newly formed sinkhole on Knotty Pine Terrace in Buttonwood that was reported on another thread yesterday afternoon? It was reported to be 3 x 4 feet and 5 feet deep.

Ragman 05-31-2012 10:18 AM

4x8 sheet of plywood with 2 Village Watch cones on top in front yard about on property lines.

That's all I could tell. Sinkhole would be speculation.

BlueHeronFan 05-31-2012 06:12 PM

Reviewed our insurance with "Sinkhole" coverage. Last policy was changed to further clarify that ONLY structural damage to the home would be covered.

So, in other words, we have a policy that started out with FULL and complete sinkhold coverage, and now if a 10 foot deep hole in the yard developes, with no affect on the home, it is our expense.

Review your policies.

asianthree 05-31-2012 07:08 PM

with rain comes problems

aaffmom 05-31-2012 07:25 PM

I may be wrong but I do not think land has ever been covered under a home policy.

SALYBOW 05-31-2012 07:28 PM

Sinkhole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 499587)
Does anybody have any more information on the newly formed sinkhole on Knotty Pine Terrace in Buttonwood that was reported on another thread yesterday afternoon? It was reported to be 3 x 4 feet and 5 feet deep.

It is indeed a sinkhole. There is also one at Bonifay. We looked at our policy and they only cover 80%

Villageshooter 05-31-2012 10:10 PM

Insurance companies are not the government

Insurance companies or not the government with endless supplies of money they are in business to make money they know that if it is a losing proposition they are going to change, that's what's happening we are going to Have more sinkholes around here than we've got golf carts.

rodie 05-31-2012 10:24 PM

Anyone know anything about the one near Bonifay? Was it close to the clubhouse?

jblum315 05-31-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 499817)
with rain comes problems

Actually it's lack of rain that causes sinkholes. As the water table sinks lower from lack of rain, the soil ( mostly sand)also sinks to fill the vacuum.

graciegirl 06-01-2012 02:18 AM

///

bike42 06-01-2012 07:56 AM

If a tree falls down in your yard and does not hit and damage your house, your homeowners policy does not cover your loss.

rubicon 06-01-2012 09:43 AM

Central florida is located directly over the water aquifer and due to unseasonable dry seasons causes underground gaps and hence eventual sinkholes. In the Tampa area insurance companies experienced an increase of sinkhole claims many of which were in dispute. additionally many homeowners were paid enormous amounts but failed to effect repairs.
subsequently insurance companies began to change their policies.

I am with a major carrier and I had to buy back my sinkhole coverage. However they did provide at no additional cost catastrophic coverage...meaning the damage had to be abrupt, visible, caused damage to the structure and caused the home to be uninhabitable. I don't like the idea of paying more but then people living in Central florida have the exposure

As a side bar while down trees are not covered an insurance company will pay to drop a tree to the ground that was laying on a house in order to inspect damage which is covered.

justjim 06-01-2012 11:09 AM

Sink holes are a way of life in Florida. They can happen anytime and anywhere. In other words, a home is not safe from a sinkhole no matter where you live or what Village you live in. Its just "the luck of the draw".

Skip 06-01-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaffmom (Post 499824)
I may be wrong but I do not think land has ever been covered under a home policy.

You're correct and neither are trees, unless they fall on your house, then only the removal is covered plus the house damage minus the deductible.

This should be a big year for sinkholes. From what I understand when the earth goes through big swings of drought followed by heavy rain accumulation over the weeks and months, a sink hole will form a lot more easily and bigger ones too. It's certainly been dry this winter and now it's raining almost every day. Check your property after every rainstorm.

EDIT: (Sorry rubicon, should have read your post first before I added this).
Skip

linandvin 06-02-2012 10:13 AM

Sinkholes

Would The Villages have the sinkholes fixed to avoid bad publicity or is ths definitely the responsibility of the owner? Would this happen under a house?