Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Century Link vs. Comcast (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/century-link-vs-comcast-54226/)

cchase 06-01-2012 06:49 AM

Century Link vs. Comcast

19 Attachment(s)
We are looking into the possibility of switching from Comcast (bundled service) to Century Link. We were provided information from a Century Link rep about the advantages of CL over Comcast. We are in a fiber optics area, (Buttonwood) and would appreciate any input from anyone who has switched services.

IndianaSam 06-01-2012 02:22 PM

We switched from Comcast to Centurylink about a month ago and love it! Great service!

borjo 06-01-2012 02:27 PM

Have CenturyLink and love it EXCEPT....frequent freezing (every other day) but wait 10 minutes and it'll come back. Irritating when I'm on the internet though.

joycenemetz 06-01-2012 05:13 PM

We switched from Comcast to Century Link last week - love it - we are getting a lot more for a lot less $$. We have phone, internet & TV.

asianthree 06-01-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borjo (Post 500131)
Have CenturyLink and love it EXCEPT....frequent freezing (every other day) but wait 10 minutes and it'll come back. Irritating when I'm on the internet though.

does the tv and internet freeze?

borjo 06-01-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 500186)
does the tv and internet freeze?

Yes. You can reboot the system by unplugging it or wait.

ljones190 06-01-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joycenemetz (Post 500184)
We switched from Comcast to Century Link last week - love it - we are getting a lot more for a lot less $$. We have phone, internet & TV.

Do you know if it available in st Charles, is the TV portion Direct TV with a dish? Is your bundled price for for a year or two or is it a standard rate? Comcast service is fine but very expensive.

Aurora 06-01-2012 06:26 PM

Century Link

We have Comcast and were ready to switch to Century Link because their bundle was cheaper and they had some good added features. However, when the tech arrived we found out we could have HD on only one TV at a time. So we cancelled and stayed with Comcast. Century Link can only support one HD TV at a time in some neighborhoods so check if that feature is important to you.

borjo 06-01-2012 08:32 PM

Our Centurylink will support 2 HD's either viewing or recording. I usually record in standard if hubby and I are watching different HD shows.

FoPAA 06-01-2012 09:04 PM

We had Comcast before we became full-time, switched to Century Link for about 8 months (but I'm not convinced we had true fiber optic service, we're in Poinciana), then due to the frequent freezing, and I mean a couple of times a day, we went back to Comcast. Each service has some advantages, but overall Comcast is working better for us. YMMV

F16 1UB 06-01-2012 09:14 PM

Comcast VS Century Link

Can't tell you about Comcast but we've had Century Link Prism for about a year and saved around $60 a month. We ordered it because our neighbor 2 houses away recommended it. He was satisfied until screen freeze occurred within a month. After NUMEROUS trouble shooting attempts he had it removed and went back to Direct TV and wouldn't you know it they treated him like a new customer and gave him a much better deal than he was previously receiving. What a racket.

We can watch 2 tv's on HD w/o issue...however if you're recording another HD channel while you're watching 2 other HD tv's you can forget it. Most of the time now I record the same show that is on a non HD channel.

When screen freeze happens, I unplug the control box for about a minute & plug it back in. Fixed!

CTgolfer 06-02-2012 06:48 AM

Wow, I'm surprised that the Century Link customers think unplugging/plugging to fix the freeze is acceptable. We have friends who recently purchased a home in Sanibel and went with Century Link. They have 4 TV's. We have 5 TV's with Comcast. Cost is approximately the same after the initial special promotion from Century Link. They have a TV box for each set. We have small digital converters that are hidden on each TV. We also have our TV's mounted on the wall, so the extra Century Link box is not an option for us. Comcast service has been steady and reliable, and I don't think there is much "savings" between the two.

buzzy 06-02-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F16 1UB (Post 500269)
.............. After NUMEROUS trouble shooting attempts he had it removed and went back to Direct TV and wouldn't you know it they treated him like a new customer and gave him a much better deal than he was previously receiving. What a racket...............

Interesting. We have Direct TV. We inquired about the promotions for new customers, and were told that we would have to drop it for two years before they would treat us as new. Probably BS to keep us from cancelling the service.

Buffalo 07-11-2012 03:06 PM

We've lost our Comcast telephone six times in three months. They just can't seem to get it working correctly. Thought about switching to Century Link but the Rep told us
they don't service our area (for TV-Phone-Internet). We're in St. James. Does anyone
have a Century Link bundle in our area ??

rubicon 07-11-2012 03:13 PM

I switched from Century Link to ComCast and love comcast

Down Sized 07-23-2012 07:40 PM

I had an appointment 7-21 for century link installation tv & Internet. The tech was telling me about all the freezing. So I changed my mind and didn't go thru with the installation. Have since contracted with Direct tv. Now I have to decide on Internet. Only choice I have is Century link or Comcast. I KEEP FLIPPING THE COIN???? Still undecided.:undecided:

mrdills 07-24-2012 11:47 AM

One thing about Comcast, if you are out of service for a few hours they give you credit, see if Century link does that.

Bruiser1 07-24-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchase (Post 499926)
We are looking into the possibility of switching from Comcast (bundled service) to Century Link. We were provided information from a Century Link rep about the advantages of CL over Comcast. We are in a fiber optics area, (Buttonwood) and would appreciate any input from anyone who has switched services.

We had Comcast but jumped to Century Link with Prism TV . It works great at a better price than Comcast.

But we sold the house (in three days) and moved 6 blocks north only to discover we would not have the Centurylink bundle. The fiber optics were in the vicinity of Co RD 472. Fiber is good for you! You are fortunate to have adequate fiber.:gc:

INHO Centurylink is the better of the two by far.

JC and John 07-24-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borjo (Post 500131)

We have Century Link for phone and internet only. We don't have freezing on our internet. The reason we don't have freezing could be that we live in a newly developed area, Sanibel, with new cable lines and we don't have the addition of prism TV. The internet sevice we have is great and works well with our DirecTV service. We chose not to bundle Century Link with DirecTV as we are long time DirecTV customers and brought our boxes with us from VA.

SoccerCoach 07-24-2012 03:51 PM

Switched from Directv to Centurylink Prism TV and Internet. No problems. They will all have a brief interuption during a storm. Great service, NO CONTRACT NECESSARY. Excellent pricing. I think they are fiber optic to a point and DSL from there to the home.

buzzy 07-24-2012 04:20 PM

How do you determine whether or not you have fiber optic phone cable? We are in Pennecamp, the neighborhood is 2-3 yrs old.

animal lover 08-05-2012 09:45 AM

We also switched to Century Link last week. I am now having trouble getting Comcast to cancel us out. How did you cancel your Comcast service?

joycenemetz 08-05-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by animal lover;53***8
We also switched to Century Link last week. I am now having trouble getting Comcast to cancel us out. How did you cancel your Comcast service?

Very easy - called to cancel. Then we had a week to return the equipment. Went to the Comcast office in Leesburg on a Saturday morning, they gave me a receipt and we were done with Comcast!

ARTHUR BRADFORD 11-15-2012 12:02 AM

Prism vs xfinity

Ok both of the services have their ups and downs but overall that have to say Centrelink. For a cup for a couple of reasons it really depends on your taste if your for the prize goto Comcast if your for the quality go to Centrelink. This isnt that old embark type centurylink theyve upgraded to a fiber optic backbone... And privides service for one household at a time instead of a shared network.. But on the otherhand if your not big on hd n dvr n fancy stuff then try comcast.. You can beat tha price with comcast but its just a headach... U almost gotta threaten to leave for another company...

jebartle 11-15-2012 04:18 AM

We dropped our comcast phone

went with Magic Jack, $20 a year, comcast $50 a month, unlimited calls nationwide, no brainer and easy to install.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo (Post 520067)
We've lost our Comcast telephone six times in three months. They just can't seem to get it working correctly. Thought about switching to Century Link but the Rep told us
they don't service our area (for TV-Phone-Internet). We're in St. James. Does anyone
have a Century Link bundle in our area ??

mulligan 11-15-2012 06:46 AM

Quite a few of us have it in Tamarind Grove, right next door.

Jhooman 11-15-2012 07:54 AM

We love Century Link. Had so many problems with Comcast.

jblum315 11-15-2012 08:06 AM

Comcast with phone, internet and TV was costing me roughly twice as much as Century Link costs now, and I'm happy with all 3 services. I was never happy with Comcast.

John1 03-27-2013 05:47 PM

comcast vs century link

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaSam (Post 500129)
We switched from Comcast to Centurylink about a month ago and love it! Great service!

what village are you in? We are moning to fernandina in a couple of weeks.

gerryann 03-27-2013 07:14 PM

I have fiber optics and I have century link prism. First the TV and Internet would freeze. 10 times a day. Came by and after many visits the TV stopped freezing. Well now for the past 3 months, the Internet stops working a couple times a day. I have to re-boot each time. That's it..I'm done. I don't even want to see them again. I don't even want to give them the chance to fix it...DONE! Plus..after my 6 month promotions are over, my last bill is $178 a month. That's just too much!

So now, I'm gonna try Direct for TV, don't know who for Internet.

George Bieniaszek 03-28-2013 10:37 AM

Question to all Century Link users, When your system freezes, does everything freeze (internet, TV and phone)?

How would you rate their response time to address the problem?

We have Comcast and have been satisfied with the service (TV and Internet only). We had 1-2 issues with Comcast over 3 years of service where I had to unplug the router to re-boot the internet, but reading some of the previous posts where you have to unplug the routers on a regular basis is totally unacceptable to me.

Thanks for everyone's input.

qluidens 03-28-2013 11:50 AM

Don't go to century link's prism!!!

Quote:

Our hi-def stations freeze, our TV news clips on the internet freeze, and we have tried to get service since we have had the system which is about as long as they have been in The Villages. They obviously cannot fix the problem and offer no alternative solution to the problem. Consequently we are switching providers.

Longrider49 04-16-2013 03:59 PM

We have Prism. Switched from Comcast. Bundled Internet without having to have a phone. Not much freezing, occaisional skip or partial pixellization. Usually associated with a storm. Like the dvr way better plus accessible on all tvs. Glad we made the switch.

Joyce Beeman 04-28-2013 09:54 AM

Century Link NO WAY

Quote:

I haven't been happy with Century Link. Couldn't recommend them!

Steve32162 04-30-2013 12:02 PM

I'm in Sabal Chase and switched from Comcast to Centurylink over a year ago. The two services are becoming comparable. My only complaint now about Centurylink is the lack of HD On Demand movies and shows for the premium stations for which I'm already paying (i.e., HBO, Showtime). Also, Comcast's phone service is VOIP, so if the internet goes down, so does the phone line. The problems new customers are having are probably due to the new installations into areas not previously serviced by Centurylink. I had similar issues the first 6 months or so, too, but none in quite a while. And I'm paying about $30/month less than with Comcast.

kb8tpw 04-30-2013 12:26 PM

Centurylink has been a nemesis in my life since I arrived in the Villages. I had them in Ohio and was only moderately satisfied, here it has gotten worse and worse. My modem is broken, they sent a tech out. He checked connectivity from the outside, was many hours late arriving and did nothing to the modem, which could have easily been replaced. I spent hours on the phone this morning as well as the computer to no avail at which time I advised them that we were about to have a divorce. I signed up for Excede Internet, they install on Thur AM, so hopefully I will have eliminated all of the hassle. I am expecting fiber from source to connection point, so should be fine...

justjim 04-30-2013 01:02 PM

Just talk to Comcast this morning---@&:)(@&. Need I say more. My bill has gone up 50% in a year with no addition to my service. When I came off vacation they raised my rates and just raised them again for the sports package. I am currently looking for a new service. Maybe Brighthouse?

shirart 06-13-2013 10:30 AM

Century Link Freezing

We have had Century Link for 6 months and have experienced freezing a lot more often with the programs we are watching.....WHY??????????????

Arctic Fox 06-13-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirart (Post 691557)
We have had Century Link for 6 months and have experienced freezing a lot more often with the programs we are watching.....WHY??????????????

I have just internet through CenturyLink, but can tell from connection delays and 'refusals' that there is freezing on that too. They clearly have serious problems (which are getting worse over time) and need to upgrade their delivery network.

outahere 11-21-2013 03:27 PM

We are moving to TV in less than 3 weeks (YAY!!) and I'm starting to set up utilities, etc. I have not heard great things about Comcast, either there or elsewhere, so I would prefer not to use them. We will be renting for a year, so putting a dish on the house is not an option. We will be using the phone quite a bit, so I'm considering a Centurylink bundle with TV, internet and phone.

Do the freezing problems that have been reported on this thread still continue to happen?

Thanks. We can't wait to get away from the cold New England weather.