Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Century Link vs. Comcast (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/century-link-vs-comcast-54226/)

cchase 06-01-2012 06:49 AM

Century Link vs. Comcast

19 Attachment(s)
We are looking into the possibility of switching from Comcast (bundled service) to Century Link. We were provided information from a Century Link rep about the advantages of CL over Comcast. We are in a fiber optics area, (Buttonwood) and would appreciate any input from anyone who has switched services.

IndianaSam 06-01-2012 02:22 PM

We switched from Comcast to Centurylink about a month ago and love it! Great service!

borjo 06-01-2012 02:27 PM

Have CenturyLink and love it EXCEPT....frequent freezing (every other day) but wait 10 minutes and it'll come back. Irritating when I'm on the internet though.

joycenemetz 06-01-2012 05:13 PM

We switched from Comcast to Century Link last week - love it - we are getting a lot more for a lot less $$. We have phone, internet & TV.

asianthree 06-01-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borjo (Post 500131)
Have CenturyLink and love it EXCEPT....frequent freezing (every other day) but wait 10 minutes and it'll come back. Irritating when I'm on the internet though.

does the tv and internet freeze?

borjo 06-01-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 500186)
does the tv and internet freeze?

Yes. You can reboot the system by unplugging it or wait.

ljones190 06-01-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joycenemetz (Post 500184)
We switched from Comcast to Century Link last week - love it - we are getting a lot more for a lot less $$. We have phone, internet & TV.

Do you know if it available in st Charles, is the TV portion Direct TV with a dish? Is your bundled price for for a year or two or is it a standard rate? Comcast service is fine but very expensive.

Aurora 06-01-2012 06:26 PM

Century Link

We have Comcast and were ready to switch to Century Link because their bundle was cheaper and they had some good added features. However, when the tech arrived we found out we could have HD on only one TV at a time. So we cancelled and stayed with Comcast. Century Link can only support one HD TV at a time in some neighborhoods so check if that feature is important to you.

borjo 06-01-2012 08:32 PM

Our Centurylink will support 2 HD's either viewing or recording. I usually record in standard if hubby and I are watching different HD shows.

FoPAA 06-01-2012 09:04 PM

We had Comcast before we became full-time, switched to Century Link for about 8 months (but I'm not convinced we had true fiber optic service, we're in Poinciana), then due to the frequent freezing, and I mean a couple of times a day, we went back to Comcast. Each service has some advantages, but overall Comcast is working better for us. YMMV

F16 1UB 06-01-2012 09:14 PM

Comcast VS Century Link

Can't tell you about Comcast but we've had Century Link Prism for about a year and saved around $60 a month. We ordered it because our neighbor 2 houses away recommended it. He was satisfied until screen freeze occurred within a month. After NUMEROUS trouble shooting attempts he had it removed and went back to Direct TV and wouldn't you know it they treated him like a new customer and gave him a much better deal than he was previously receiving. What a racket.

We can watch 2 tv's on HD w/o issue...however if you're recording another HD channel while you're watching 2 other HD tv's you can forget it. Most of the time now I record the same show that is on a non HD channel.

When screen freeze happens, I unplug the control box for about a minute & plug it back in. Fixed!

CTgolfer 06-02-2012 06:48 AM

Wow, I'm surprised that the Century Link customers think unplugging/plugging to fix the freeze is acceptable. We have friends who recently purchased a home in Sanibel and went with Century Link. They have 4 TV's. We have 5 TV's with Comcast. Cost is approximately the same after the initial special promotion from Century Link. They have a TV box for each set. We have small digital converters that are hidden on each TV. We also have our TV's mounted on the wall, so the extra Century Link box is not an option for us. Comcast service has been steady and reliable, and I don't think there is much "savings" between the two.

buzzy 06-02-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F16 1UB (Post 500269)
.............. After NUMEROUS trouble shooting attempts he had it removed and went back to Direct TV and wouldn't you know it they treated him like a new customer and gave him a much better deal than he was previously receiving. What a racket...............

Interesting. We have Direct TV. We inquired about the promotions for new customers, and were told that we would have to drop it for two years before they would treat us as new. Probably BS to keep us from cancelling the service.

Buffalo 07-11-2012 03:06 PM

We've lost our Comcast telephone six times in three months. They just can't seem to get it working correctly. Thought about switching to Century Link but the Rep told us
they don't service our area (for TV-Phone-Internet). We're in St. James. Does anyone
have a Century Link bundle in our area ??

rubicon 07-11-2012 03:13 PM

I switched from Century Link to ComCast and love comcast