Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Tricare for Life Shingles shot (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/tricare-life-shingles-shot-58793/)

jadebox 08-16-2012 11:06 AM

Tricare for Life Shingles shot

Where in The Villages can we get our shingles vaccine? Can't use Walgreens anymore.

hansel 08-16-2012 02:27 PM

Does Tricare for Life cover the cost of the shot? I do not believe that medicare does.

babbs455 08-16-2012 05:42 PM

My hubby is currently suffering from the shingles. I had no clue as to how bad they are and the amount of debilitating pain that comes with them. He is currently taking the antibiotic and hydrocodone which barely dull the pain! Highly suggest getting vaccine. We were at walgreens last fri and he said to come back after they are all gone and get the shot...200.00bucks worth

Chuckw 08-16-2012 05:50 PM

I seem to recall that all that would be covered if I got my shot at my doctor's office was the administration of the shot, which would have been about $40 of the $160... SO... I had the doctor write me a prescription for the shot and I took it to the base hospital at MacDill AFB and they administered the shot. Note that they do not always have the vaccine on hand so it is best to call ahead to be sure, or if you are going to the base you can just drop in (with your prescription) they will not file the prescription for you until you receive the shot...

Down Sized 08-16-2012 07:04 PM

My insurance covered all mine at the doctor's office except the copayment

graciegirl 08-16-2012 07:08 PM

Twelve dollars after Medicare insurance at Walgreens. They have days scheduled when a person who gives shots is in and you have to make appointment.

getdul981 08-16-2012 07:40 PM

Got mine at the VA Clinic on 42.

babbs455 08-17-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdul981 (Post 541926)
Got mine at the VA Clinic on 42.

u can be sure as soon as hubby is better he will be at the VA getting his shot..I have neverf seen something like this take a person DOWN!
please get those shots if you can..hate to see anyone go thru this horrible thing.
hydrocodone is not touching the pain have to call and get something else for the pain today..ITS A BEAST FOR SURE!!:cryin2:

getdul981 08-17-2012 05:26 AM

My wife had shingles several years ago, so as soon as I could get it, I did.

mfp509 08-17-2012 05:47 AM

I had to pay for mine - around $200 - my dad and my brother-in-law had shingles and from what I saw I would do anything to prevent it or at least get a milder case. Very painful! Babbs455, I hope your husband will feel better soon!

Mimivillager 08-17-2012 06:02 AM

Can you get the shot if you have had the shingles already?
My doctor did not know and said she would research but has not done so as yet.
I have had mild cases twice before.

babbs455 08-17-2012 07:22 AM

YES you can get the shot as you can get shingles over and over again. This is hubbys second bout with them. We didn't know of a shingle virus shot and am amazed since the VA is so good at giving out all kinds of shots and pills that they neglected to tell hubby about this shingle shot or give it to him. The pharmacist told him as soon as he is over this bout to get the shot ASAP!

Mimivillager 08-17-2012 09:27 AM

Thanks Barbara

Bill-n-Brillo 08-17-2012 09:37 AM

On a related point:

Here's an article that references situations where a shingles vaccine is NOT recommended - towards the bottom:

Shingles vaccine: Should I get it? - MayoClinic.com

Sandy is a Remicade patient - it's a great help with her arthritis. She's not 60 yet but was considering getting the shingles vaccine in a few years. Member VMI-74 tipped me off to the conflict between Remicade and the vaccine - - - quite the shock when we found out! Kudos to VMI-74 - thank you!!! :wave:

I hope any medical provider administering the vaccine shots is aware of the potential issues.

Me? "Been there, had that" - shingles, that it. The case I had about 10 years ago was pretty mild by most standards. Guess I was lucky! I'll be getting the vaccine, for sure!

Bill :)

EdV 08-17-2012 10:02 AM

I got the vaccine a couple of months ago and here is what I had to do:

1. PCP wrote a prescription for it and they scheduled a visit for the injection in a week.
2. Took the script to Walgreens on 441 across from Lowes and told them to have it ready on the day of my office appointment.
3. Called Walgreens on the appointment date to confirm they’d have it ready.
4. Picked it up at Walgreens an hour before the appointment. It was frozen in a little container.
5. Drove directly to the doctor’s office and received the injection.

I originally tried to get the injection at Walgreens but they said they weren’t administering them and had to use the above procedure. I believe I paid a $50 deductable under my Preferred Care Partner Gold plan.