Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Music (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/)
-   -   NEW!! Talk Of The Music Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/new-talk-music-forum-59321/)

Ad poster 08-23-2012 10:06 PM

NEW!! Talk Of The Music Forum

Wanted to announce and welcome everyone on the site to the new section "Talk of the Music". Due to popular demand, we have created this section for everyone to discuss just about anything that has to do with Music. From Rock N Roll, Album Reviews, Motown, Jazz & Blues, Classical, Country, Pop or playing an instrument... you'll enjoy it here!

UPDATE - We have moved many of the posts over the past year or so that had to do with music to this forum. Enjoy reviving them!!

jblum315 08-24-2012 04:44 AM

Should be interesting. Let's get some threads going

Geewiz 08-24-2012 04:52 AM

So...what is YOUR song?

For me..Strawberry Fields Forever.

Now, understand - I buy lots of music..from current stuff (I just got Ariel Pinks' new CD)...to stuff I learned to love with my dad (Miles' Kind of Blue)...to sensual tunes (Waters of March)...to difficult listens (Radiohead/Messian/Ornette Coleman)..and silly stuff (the Sherman Brothers songs for Disney). But...it was Strawberry Fields that made music real for me. And for you it is....?

Tom Hannon 08-24-2012 04:53 AM

Perfect. I was about to retire from TOTV because of the BS people have been complaining about lately. This will keep me going. This site could be the cyber space "Woodstock" Peace and love.

jblum315 08-24-2012 05:16 AM

Miles Davis - "So What" -1956 - I was 16 and he was brand new (to me at least)

BritParrothead 08-24-2012 07:06 AM

My song? Jimmy Buffetts A Pirate looks at 40, closely followed by come Monday & Margaritaville :bigbow:

KathieI 08-24-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hannon (Post 546189)
Perfect. I was about to retire from TOTV because of the BS people have been complaining about lately. This will keep me going. This site could be the cyber space "Woodstock" Peace and love.

Me too, Tom... Sick of complaining and want something positive and fun.

I love ALL kinds of music. Never thought this city girl would love country music, but living in TV has definitely widened my music taste. I love all my karaoke singing friends, they are truly the best singers and they love the fact that I know all the words to every song, but won't dare get up to sing... dance, yes, sing, NO!! I love everything from Motown, R&R, country, Latin and pop - definitely new stuff by Lady GaGa and Usher. Great dance music.

I love this new music forum!!! Thank you Admins.

DandyGirl 08-24-2012 07:21 AM

Always have had music in my life starting with my parent's 78 RPM records...Glenn Miller, Rosemary Clooney, etc. But music became all encompassing with The Beatles I Wanna Hold Your Hand. Still thrill every time I hear it. Transports me back to innocence.

rmcpklinefelter 08-24-2012 07:33 AM

OK, hope my post qualifies for this, just have to get this out. Probably many of you here not only enjoy listening to all types music but get much satisfation from playing a musical instrument. Weather you play well or not I believe the effort is well worth it for your health and quality of life and here in TV there are multiple opportunities to learn, perfect a skill and perform if you so desire. One reason we ended up here (after the decision to retire to Fl) was for me to have the chance to participate in the Villages String Orchestra. All of you band and vocal folks can relate. My current listening fav? A string quartet with piano playing "All My Love" originally by Led Zepplin. Other favs: about anything by Bonnie Raitt, soundtrack to Pride and Prejudice (great solo performance of Rondo by Purcell), Vertigo by Jesse Cook (guitar) and Old English Hymns by Craig Duncan.

Tom Hannon 08-24-2012 08:26 AM

I agree with The Dancing Queen. I also love all types of music. I remember when I bought three 8-tracks (LOL) Led Zeppelin, Glen Campbell and The Four Seasons. Quite a variety.

asianthree 08-24-2012 08:29 AM

its going to be a good good nite

coralway 08-24-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandyGirl (Post 546249)
Always have had music in my life starting with my parent's 78 RPM records...Glenn Miller, Rosemary Clooney, etc. But music became all encompassing with The Beatles I Wanna Hold Your Hand. Still thrill every time I hear it. Transports me back to innocence.

:agree:

And also Love Me Do - the very, very beginning

mikeandnancy1112 08-24-2012 09:16 AM

OMG...Dandy Girl, these are the songs I remember the most. I can remember when I hung out at Shoney's in Charlotte outside where you could order from your car, the song I Wanna Hold Your Hand was the most popular.

mickey100 03-13-2013 07:25 PM

If you like singing folk songs, there is a folk song group that plays Monday nights at Lake Miona. I think they start at either 6:30 or 7:00. There is a large group of a variety of instruments - guitars, banjos, ukeleles, harmonica, etc., that play ,and people in the audience can sing along. They have sheet music books you can borrow for the night so you have the words in front of you. Its a lot of fun.

rmcpklinefelter 03-16-2013 07:08 AM

The Villages Orchestra (formerly The Villages String Orchestra) is performing its Spring Concert on Friday, April 11th, 6 p.m. at New Covenant United Methodist Church. Come enjoy full orchestral arrangements conducted by Mr. Kenneth Hay and presented by your friends and neighbors, all Villages residents! A variety of selections from Classical and Opera, Pops and Musicals will be presented. Special guest vocalist will be Robbie Riddle. Reserved seating tickets will be available at the Villages Box Office on March 6th for $15 and $10 benefitting Wildwood Food Pantry and the Soup Kitchen.