Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   RDOG (Responsible Dog Owners Group) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/rdog-responsible-dog-owners-group-159/)
-   -   walkin' the dog (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/rdog-responsible-dog-owners-group-159/walkin-dog-59750/)

njbchbum 08-31-2012 05:46 PM

walkin' the dog

the recent leash thread and the multitude of poop threads in this forum have made me wonder...why do dog owners take their dogs for their am/pm constitutional BEFORE they have taken care of business instead of AFTER they have used their OWN property for same. growing up with our dogs, not one of us was allowed to take the dog off property until AFTER they were properly relieved. just wonderin'......

asianthree 08-31-2012 06:02 PM

then we would not have a poop thread:girlneener: then what would we write about

Taltarzac725 08-31-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 549785)
the recent leash thread and the multitude of poop threads in this forum have made me wonder...why do dog owners take their dogs for their am/pm constitutional BEFORE they have taken care of business instead of AFTER they have used their OWN property for same. growing up with our dogs, not one of us was allowed to take the dog off property until AFTER they were properly relieved. just wonderin'......

Probably because of the fact that so few Villages homes have fences. Most of the dogwalkers in our neighbor clean up after their pets when they walk them.

gomoho 08-31-2012 06:25 PM

sorry, but my dogs need to walk before they can do their business - can only walk around in circles so many times in your yard - I feel fortunate we have a pump station area where they can relieve themselves, I can pick it up, and no harm done!

asianthree 08-31-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 549810)
sorry, but my dogs need to walk before they can do their business - can only walk around in circles so many times in your yard - I feel fortunate we have a pump station area where they can relieve themselves, I can pick it up, and no harm done!

if you take them to yoga, it works faster than walking:1rotfl:

bluedog103 08-31-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 549806)
Probably because of the fact that so few Villages homes have fences. Most of the dogwalkers in our neighbor clean up after their pets when they walk them.

Not having a fence is not a reason, it's an excuse. We have two dogs in a designer with an invisible fence. The dogs stay in our yard with either my wife or me outside with them until they take care of business. The dogs know the routine so it's no problem at all. There's no way I'd walk dogs and let them use a neigbor's yard for a latrine. That's just rude and inconsiderate. Your dog should use your yard and only your yard.

Bogie Shooter 08-31-2012 08:34 PM

Wasn't all this dog poop business solved just a month ago?

rmcpklinefelter 08-31-2012 09:54 PM

...but I DO have my DeeDee relieve herself BEFORE I walk her...when she can cooperate!

CFrance 08-31-2012 10:13 PM

My dog can make it around the neighborhood fine without peeing. I, however...

KeepingItReal 08-31-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedog103 (Post 549851)
Not having a fence is not a reason, it's an excuse. We have two dogs in a designer with an invisible fence. The dogs stay in our yard with either my wife or me outside with them until they take care of business. The dogs know the routine so it's no problem at all. There's no way I'd walk dogs and let them use a neigbor's yard for a latrine. That's just rude and inconsiderate. Your dog should use your yard and only your yard.

Excellent Bluedog, as a dog owner we also never allowed our dog to mess in other peoples yards, dog urine especially females can kill grass..

CFrance 08-31-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepingItReal (Post 549913)
Excellent Bluedog, as a dog owner we also never allowed our dog to mess in other peoples yards, dog urine especially females can kill grass..

Second that. We walk our dog in the landscaping. (That tells you something about the standard number of shrubs provided in a spec home!) Took about two days before he caught on that we weren't going anywhere till he peed. Now it's ritual for him. We don't want him killing our grass, let alone someone else's. When we get around to doing some more landscaping, there will be a dedicated spot for him. Poop's different--you can pick that up and no harm done to the grass.

Barefoot 08-31-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 549861)

It seems to be a never ending source of entertainment .... :posting:

Golfingnut 09-01-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedog103 (Post 549851)

We take our dog on a golf cart ride after he does his business in our yard. Like you say dogs understand and like a routine. Remember, you must be the pack leader to give you pet a happy life.

Golfingnut 09-01-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 549861)

We have a hundred or more new folks moving in each month and may not know the rules. :wave:

graciegirl 09-01-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 549909)
My dog can make it around the neighborhood fine without peeing. I, however...

Now that's funny!