Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Charger Repair (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/charger-repair-61259/)

Biker Dog 09-29-2012 07:25 AM

Charger Repair

The battery charger for our club cart has stopped working. Does anyone know of a company or person that repairs them? If not where can I get a working used charger?

ajbrown 09-29-2012 08:15 AM

Any trustworthy mechanic should do....

I would think any cart mechanic could diagnose this issue pretty easily. Search the site for recommendations. Further isolating the issue requires a bit more detail about what happens when you plug in it.

First we assume you have tested the AC outlet with some other device. I am not teasing. I had a buddy that was plugging in his cart every night for a week until his cart finally ran out of juice. The AC outlet was not functioning :1rotfl:

Describing to a mechanic what exactly happens when you plug it in could help them isolate, i.e., does the needle move at all? do you hear a click?

I would not buy a new charger until you had someone look at it. The issue is likely a fuse or relay which should be a pretty inexpensive fix.

The worst case scenario for cost is that the issue is in the computer of the cart. This is unlikely.

If you are lucky you have a buddy with a CC and can try their charger on your cart for easy isolation.

good luck!

Biker Dog 09-29-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 561310)
I would think any cart mechanic could diagnose this issue pretty easily. Search the site for recommendations. Further isolating the issue requires a bit more detail about what happens when you plug in it.

First we assume you have tested the AC outlet with some other device. I am not teasing. I had a buddy that was plugging in his cart every night for a week until his cart finally ran out of juice. The AC outlet was not functioning :1rotfl:

Describing to a mechanic what exactly happens when you plug it in could help them isolate, i.e., does the needle move at all? do you hear a click?

I would not buy a new charger until you had someone look at it. The issue is likely a fuse or relay which should be a pretty inexpensive fix.

The worst case scenario for cost is that the issue is in the computer of the cart. This is unlikely.

If you are lucky you have a buddy with a CC and can try their charger on your cart for easy isolation.

good luck!

Thanks. I do have 2 club carts and the other charger work fine on both carts.

I checked the fuse and it is good. Nothing happens when I plug it into the cart.

n8xwb 09-29-2012 08:53 AM

May be the diode...its easy to troubleshoot with an ohm meter and club car sells replacements (less than $20 if I recall). Youll need a soldering gun/iron too. Good luck.

ajbrown 09-29-2012 08:55 AM

The fact that the other charger works on both carts is good news.

I am not near my chargers or my manuals and I am no expert who remembers stuff off the top of my head, but I think there is a fuse on the front of the charger. I would check that, but I suspect it is the relay in the charger.

If you up for it is to take the relay out of the good charger and put it in bad charger. If charger comes on you just need a relay which can be picked up for $15 - $25 depending on where you get it.

Man I miss driving my carts :D

Biker Dog 09-29-2012 09:13 AM

I called battery boys but they are closed on Sat & Sun. So I will have to call them monday morning.

natickdan 09-29-2012 08:11 PM

You may want to check eBay.

Frank7 09-30-2012 01:26 PM

Free loaner to TOTV members and repairs are $29.95 plus parts.