Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   BEAUTY & STYLE DIRECTORY (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/beauty-style-directory-206/)
-   -   Salon Academy (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/beauty-style-directory-206/salon-academy-63023/)

westcoastsunshine 10-28-2012 06:41 PM

Salon Academy

Thinking of doing full foil highlights and trim with Salon
Academy.

Good idea or Bad idea?????

Thanks to all for any info.

WCS

rickandtammy27 10-28-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastsunshine (Post 573823)
Thinking of doing full foil highlights and trim with Salon
Academy.

Good idea or Bad idea?????

Thanks to all for any info.

WCS

I went there and got color, gloss, and trim. The girl did an excellent job. She was a level three, her name is Destin or Dustin (sorry can't remember). It took a while though, that is because they have to get checked off each procedure and their teacher has to supervise. That is a good thing though. The price was very good, at the time they were having a special on their haircut price.

NotGolfer 10-28-2012 10:55 PM

Sent you a private message......

Debfrommaine 10-29-2012 05:32 AM

I've had good luck there too. You just need to remember it is a teaching school and these are students just learning. You can't beat the price if you have the time; again the students are just learning. My experiences have been excellent but I also don't expect the service I got form my full service, experienced salon gal in Maine.

jblum315 10-29-2012 05:51 AM

I've had good and bad at the Salon Academy. Everything was good for about a year, then I got a girl who really messed up the color. So I followed the last girl that I liked, who had graduated and has her own salon in Clermont. I like her so much that I don't mind driving 30 miles every 6 wks or so.

Lynn222 11-05-2012 06:21 PM

I went to the salon once and was satisfied but allow LOTS of time and patience because it is a teaching school.

wendyquat 11-05-2012 07:49 PM

The first visit I had a haircut and "style" by Jessie who was a month from graduation. She did a great job. $5 The last time I went I soon found out the stylist had only been attending for 3 months. She did color with highlights and it was just ok. Not nearly as much highlights as I wanted so I just came home and I'd my own. I also let her do mani/pedi and it was similar to one my granddaughter would do. The girl was very sweet and I tipped her nicely but I won't go back. I was there 5 hours! Every step has to be approved by an instructor which, of course, slows down the process.

wendyquat 11-05-2012 07:51 PM

The first visit I had a haircut and "style" by Jessie who was a month from graduation. She did a great job. $5 The last time I went I soon found out the stylist had only been attending for 3 months. She did color with highlights and it was just ok. Not nearly as much highlights as I wanted so I just came home and did my own. I also let her do mani/pedi and it was similar to one my granddaughter would do. The girl was very sweet and I tipped her nicely but I won't go back. I was there 5 hours! Every step has to be approved by an instructor which, of course, slows down the process.

westcoastsunshine 12-21-2012 07:38 PM

Reporting back on Salon Academy. I have been twice now
for highlights and cut. I got a wonderful young girl named
Leanne. She loves doing highlights and it shows. I have
had many compliments and the price is amazing. Just make
sure you leave alot of time as this is a training facility.

WCS

graciegirl 12-21-2012 10:54 PM

A friend who posts regularly on here had a VERY bad experience with color there.

Madelaine Amee 12-22-2012 07:03 AM

Salon Academy

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblum315 (Post 573971)
I've had good and bad at the Salon Academy. Everything was good for about a year, then I got a girl who really messed up the color. So I followed the last girl that I liked, who had graduated and has her own salon in Clermont. I like her so much that I don't mind driving 30 miles every 6 wks or so.

I had a very similar experience, but found a great young man who I stayed with through his last six months and followed him to his salon just outside TV.

Mudder 12-22-2012 09:08 AM

I had a semi bad experience. First of all I was there for 5 hours, had a young man who was very slow and with the teacher checking all the time it took forever. Then before he was finished with the color his "shift" was over so I was passed to someone else. That girl was very nervous and unsure of herself. The end result was the instructor cut one side of my hair and the girl attempted to cut the other side. I just wanted to get out of there at that point. By the way, I have very short hair. I will not go back, 5 hours was way to long to hightlight and cut short hair. Each instructor had about 6 students who they were supervising so I spent alot of time waiting.
On the other hand a fried went there and got a great haircut and color, guess it just depends on luck of the draw.

De Lis 07-21-2013 06:41 AM

What about perms? Every stylist says no, because they aren't 'in' now. Someone suggested the Academy. Any thoughts about going there for perms?

Thanks.

asianthree 07-21-2013 07:56 AM

its a 50/50 shot...i just can't take that chance

De Lis 07-21-2013 08:25 AM

Ugh. Thank you. I have a bob now and would hate to come home with a buzz.