Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   $1.50 for a candy bar (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/1-50-candy-bar-67754/)

ROCKETMAN 01-13-2013 09:37 AM

$1.50 for a candy bar

:shrug:Playing golf at hacienda yesterday stopped at the starter shack for a candy bar. Noticed a little sign stating new price for candy bars. Used to be a dollar. 50% increase? Man behind counter said nobody will buy them and many customers said they will send a letter of protest to the golf admin. From now on bring your own.:undecided:

Cisco Kid 01-13-2013 09:50 AM

:agree:

memason 01-13-2013 09:56 AM

How much is a candy bar at Publix or Sweetbay?

Roaddog53 01-13-2013 09:57 AM

As they say, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Thus they can't sell it. If you buy it, they got away with it.

2BNTV 01-13-2013 10:54 AM

Ahhh, the days of a nickel or dime candy bar makes me refrain from paying these exhoritant prices. I think $1.50 is over the top for the price of a candy bar.

It seems to me if they can't sell them, they should lower the price and or not sell them.

784caroline 01-13-2013 10:54 AM

Stop by the movie theatre concession stand..see what you get for $1.50

BritParrothead 01-13-2013 11:03 AM

And check the 'use by date' on them!

kimball 01-13-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN (Post 608215)
:shrug:Playing golf at hacienda yesterday stopped at the starter shack for a candy bar. Noticed a little sign stating new price for candy bars. Used to be a dollar. 50% increase? Man behind counter said nobody will buy them and many customers said they will send a letter of protest to the golf admin. From now on bring your own.:undecided:

Posted the same basic comment a few days ago. Although you are absolutely correct, you have opened yourself up to criticism by many of your friends and neighbors who believe that the powers to be can do anything they want in this little paradise and get away with it. If they had any class at all, they would give every player a free candy bar at the turn and say thank you for playing here. (If they like this idea, I'm sure you'll see a corresponding $2.00 increase in Green Fees).

Hancle704 01-13-2013 11:35 AM

If you think $1.50 is too much for a candy bar, see my post about the Willie Nelson and family Show at Savannah center for $175.00 PP. they must believe their ads that say live like a millionaire for the rest of your life in TV.

travelguy 01-13-2013 11:55 AM

why don't they allow some organization to supply the shacks with candy bars as part of a fund-raising project? I remember the band members in high school doing that all the time.

Warren Kiefer 01-13-2013 01:05 PM

Candy Bars

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN (Post 608215)

First, I don't know of anyone who plays golf at Publix or the Willie nelson Concert so this just isn't relevant..
Now too long ago I was a golf course employee. We were allow to stock and sell candy bars and soda as long as we purchased the stuff on our own time. We were allowed to use the profits for some nice yearly staff parties. I suppose someone in the golf division became aware that we were making several hundred dollars yearly and decided "they" wanted the little candy and soda business.
I know for a fact you can still go to Sams and purchase the candy bars and chips for much less than a dollar each, most at around 50 cents each. So at $2.00, is this not a 300% profit and the labor to dispense the candy and soda doesn't cost the Golf Division a cent more.
Sounds kind of outragous doesn't it ???

JoeC1947 01-13-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimball (Post 608265)
Posted the same basic comment a few days ago. Although you are absolutely correct, you have opened yourself up to criticism by many of your friends and neighbors who believe that the powers to be can do anything they want in this little paradise and get away with it. If they had any class at all, they would give every player a free candy bar at the turn and say thank you for playing here. (If they like this idea, I'm sure you'll see a corresponding $2.00 increase in Green Fees).

That's the spirit, condemn the developer again. If you want a free meal then go to one of those financial seminars that are so abundant around here.
I'll bet you that people would complain if candy bars were not for sale at the turn. Can't please everyone especially the ones that feel "Entitled".

JoeC1947 01-13-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer (Post 608330)
First, I don't know of anyone who plays golf at Publix or the Willie nelson Concert so this just isn't relevant..
Now too long ago I was a golf course employee. We were allow to stock and sell candy bars and soda as long as we purchased the stuff on our own time. We were allowed to use the profits for some nice yearly staff parties. I suppose someone in the golf division became aware that we were making several hundred dollars yearly and decided "they" wanted the little candy and soda business.
I know for a fact you can still go to Sams and purchase the candy bars and chips for much less than a dollar each, most at around 50 cents each. So at $2.00, is this not a 300% profit and the labor to dispense the candy and soda doesn't cost the Golf Division a cent more.
Sounds kind of outragous doesn't it ???

and I don't know anyone that golfs at Sam's so that isn't relevant either.

Trayderjoe 01-13-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimball (Post 608265)

I actually have re-written my response after re-reading the post and your comments, and surmise that your note was in reference to the OPs comment about a 50% increase versus the actual cost of the candy bar. Assuming that to be the case, you may have inadvertently opened yourself up for repeat criticism with the free candy bar comment. The short of it is that someone, somewhere, is not going to agree. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I would only suggest that we all ignore any piling on and fo myself, I'll thank the OP for the head's up on the cost of a candy bar at the starter's shack.

By the way, I don't know who said it, but the quote is something like this: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death to protect your right to say it". :posting:

Cantwaittoarrive 01-13-2013 02:19 PM

$1.50 is too much for a candy bar anywhere, at least I won't pay it. I remember back in the 60's visiting my grandma in Scottsdale, PA. you could go to the candy store and for .05 or .10 you could buy a whole bag of candy and actually ask for .01 of different kinds of candy.