Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Polenta (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/polenta-69171/)

senior citizen 01-31-2013 07:15 AM

Polenta

Portia 01-31-2013 07:23 AM

yes I remember polenta we grew up on it.. it was a staple in our home.. made with cornmeal..and left over sauce and meatballs and sausage from Sunday dinner..yum yum it sure does warm the belly..

mcdonalddrm 01-31-2013 07:45 AM

Yes, polenta was a regular staple of Italian households in South Jersey. It seems as the younger generations are not eating this as much as we did. We once attended a wedding where polenta was served. Of course it was an Italian wedding. Think I'll whip some up now.....

senior citizen 01-31-2013 07:53 AM

Yum

senior citizen 01-31-2013 07:57 AM

kittygilchrist 01-31-2013 08:04 AM

Polenta, yummy I like that. interesting the different corn dishes for different cultures. i'm especially fond of yellow grits or cornbread without sugar. the Seminoles like a drink of dilute grits. However my dog would like the world to know that she is not fond of corn even tho most dry food is full of it. She will eat a bowl of soup and leave the niblets.

Baci514 01-31-2013 08:08 AM

Polenta

All my grandparents were from the Piedmontese area of Northern Italy. My maternal grandfather made it. He stirred and stirred it. Then he would shake the pot and turn over on a serving plate. It stood up in the shape of the pot. We put a slice of polenta on our dishes then a slice of brick cheese then a slice of, then another slice of polenta. Some butter and grated Parmesan and then salt and pepper. Then over this we placed rabbit cooked in a wine, butter sauce. I use chicken now and sometimes sausage patties (pork and fresh ground pepper only). We never had it with red sauce although I sounds vey good. I was told in Northern Italy one October that it was the wrong time to make it, that it was a winter dish.

The brick cheese would melt and be in strings as you ate it. Loved that part as a child.

graciegirl 01-31-2013 08:08 AM

Fried corn meal mush in rural Ohio for breakfast with local honey.

Accompanied by fried eggs with crispy edges and hot strong coffee.

senior citizen 01-31-2013 08:15 AM

senior citizen 01-31-2013 08:17 AM

2BNTV 01-31-2013 08:27 AM

Mom never made Polenta but my ex-MIL did and we ate it off the board she made in on. Was not a big fan of Polenta but it was good.

EX MIL was an excellent cook and baker. Her sour cream cinnamon coffee cake was to die for.

senior citizen 01-31-2013 11:41 AM

skyguy79 01-31-2013 12:43 PM

As I've previously stated I grew up having polenta with baccalà. To me polenta cannot be stated with my thinking of baccalà with it. To me they go together as much as peanut butter and jelly do. I'm saddened just to think about how many decades it's been since I last had the combo! :sigh:

Baccalà: Unexpected delight from Salt Cod

2BNTV 01-31-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 618485)
As I've previously stated I grew up having polenta with baccalà. To me polenta cannot be stated with my thinking of baccalà with it. To me they go together as much as peanut butter and jelly do. I'm saddened just to think about how many decades it's been since I last had the combo! :sigh:

Baccalà: Unexpected delight from Salt Cod

That's an interesting combination of polenta with bacala.

The Portugese people love it too. My brother always ordered it when we frequented the Portugese restaurant in Newark, N.J. They made it in a stew like sauce amongst other things added.

Salt Cod, Onions and Potatoes: Bacalhau A Gomes De Sa Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

senior citizen 01-31-2013 04:46 PM