Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Instant Hot Water (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/instant-hot-water-72324/)

jollyroger 03-11-2013 02:05 PM

Instant Hot Water

Has anyone installed a Hot Water Circulation unit? I am tired of wasting water down the drain waiting for the shower to heat up :( Do they work? Other than operating cost, are there any other negatives?

Thanks,

Jollyroger

njbchbum 03-11-2013 02:23 PM

if unit requires electricity for any function and your power goes out, well....you know!

Arctic Fox 03-11-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jollyroger (Post 640639)
Has anyone installed a Hot Water Circulation unit? I am tired of wasting water down the drain waiting for the shower to heat up :( Do they work? Other than operating cost, are there any other negatives?

Thanks,

Jollyroger

search for "tankless" and you will find several threads containing useful info

jimbo2012 03-11-2013 03:09 PM

This has been discussed, it would take you 100 years to get a return on the investment over the pennies of wasted water.

hansel 03-11-2013 03:29 PM

Had instant hot water system installed in our home in South Florida. It worked great always had instant hot water........ but it cost a small fortune on our monthly electric bill. Don't think its really worth it. Just my opinion.

n8xwb 03-11-2013 04:54 PM

I installed a recirculating pump in our CYV and we now have hot water almost instantanously. I do see an increase in our gas bill.

travelguy 03-11-2013 06:28 PM

I just turn it on and get in; by the time I am all wet it is warm enough and everything is just fine. And I have an on/off button on the showerhead.....that really saves water.

rjm1cc 03-11-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jollyroger (Post 640639)

Thanks,

Jollyroger

Operating costs could be reduced by placing it on a timer.

KennyC 03-11-2013 06:41 PM

Well

Posts are comparing 3 different systems.

OP asked about recirculating system, which is totally different than a tankless water heater.

Recirculators install on existing water heaters that HAVE a tank. They simply allow water that has run up to the faucets and turned cold, to drain back to the tank, and get replaced by warm water. There is virtually no added cost, as your hot water heater tank is being heated 24/7 anyway.

A tankless system is awesome, as you are heating only the water that you need on demand, not keeping 40-50 gallons hot all day and night. These have come WAY down in price, about $600 plus install.

The 3rd, is a "point of use" heater installed under sink cabinet....pretty costly for what it is.

elevatorman 03-11-2013 06:44 PM

There is a wait for cold water, as the system uses a valve at the farthest point to send the water back to the heat source through the cold pipe. This is not a tankless hot water system.