Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Colony Plaza (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/colony-plaza-72408/)

doran 03-12-2013 01:12 PM

Colony Plaza

This morning I went to Publix in Colony Plaza--I went via 466A turned left on Colony Blvd to Sempler--There is a one way stop sign and it took a 12min stop due to the fact that there is no four way stop--the traffic lined up behind me as it has many times before many times it spilled in to 466A.
I spoke with the manager of Publix and was told that this has been a problem for years and Publix had no control of the problem.
Any one else had this problem?
Just who do we contact to get the four way stop that is needed?
Susan Doran

mulligan 03-12-2013 02:15 PM

Sumter county highway dept.

Mikeod 03-12-2013 04:46 PM

Go just a little farther on 466A and take a left at the light by the gas station and you're into Colony without a problem.

I do agree a 4-way stop would be a beneficial addition, though. But, in the meantime, the plan above works well.

NotGolfer 03-12-2013 04:53 PM

This has been an issue (ALL the traffic in the Colony area), especially during "high season". It's bad due to the building south of 466a. As that continues, more commerce (ie grocery and other stores) will be built so we just need to be patient and careful! I've seen driving infractions both by cars and carts down there and it's a wonder noone has been killed or badly injured. I've seen vehicles of all kinds blow the stop-signs, turn left on Colony Dr. w/o using the turn lane!!! Cars passing carts when there's a yellow line that indicates it's a no-no. The list could go one! There have been other threads on TOTV re: this the traffic issues.

KathieI 03-12-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 641200)
Go just a little farther on 466A and take a left at the light by the gas station and you're into Colony without a problem.

I do agree a 4-way stop would be a beneficial addition, though. But, in the meantime, the plan above works well.

Perfect solution, Mike... That's what I'm gonna do from now on - DUH!!!!!

Bill-n-Brillo 03-12-2013 05:14 PM

Yep, that is a good idea, Mike.

I always shake my head when I see a golf cart driver leaving the shopping area by cutting through the Citizens Bank lot to circumvent the intersection of Colony Blvd. and Sembler Way.

Bill :)

travelguy 03-12-2013 05:20 PM

I would think that traffic patterns within the shopping center would be under the control of the owners, and so stop signs could be put up if the owner deemed them necessary.

Mikeod 03-12-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelguy (Post 641227)
I would think that traffic patterns within the shopping center would be under the control of the owners, and so stop signs could be put up if the owner deemed them necessary.

I think all the named roads are county roads. Only the pavement directly in front of Publix and the paths within the parking lot are the responsibility of the owner.

gjbl8114 03-14-2013 08:02 AM

This will continue to be an on-going problem for those living east of Odell and south of Morse Blvd., particularly in the newly developed areas south of 466A. It is unlikely that anything will change in the very near future. That being the case, one has to decide on one of two options - be patient, careful and cautious and wait, or choose another area in which to receive services. Didn't anyone consider these limitations before deciding to purchase in a particular location? IT'S YOUR LOCATION FOLKS!!!! As residents continue to flood into these areas without regard to what services are available to them, why would the builder be inclined to believe it to be a problem or pay any attention to these or other complaints???????

CatskillBill 03-16-2013 09:18 PM

The Colony Cottage Rec Center Traffic Jam - REVISITED

In case you missed it ... I did as apparently this month's CDD7 Board Meeting report wasn't in today's Daily Sun (Saturday March 16th) ... your CDD7 Board of Supervisors have (finally) been able to begin the process to resolve the car / cart traffic congestion problem issue down on Colony Blvd. near Colony Cottage Recreation Center. But like everything else, it's still going to take a while.

The Board received the engineers traffic report and mitigation recommendation for the intersection, and found that, while expensive, the primary alternative is consistent with Florida DOT recommendations and applications in similar situations. Following considerable discussion to ensure all members fully understood the options and alternative costs, the Board adopted a motion to (temporarily) install traffic signage on Colony Blvd. warning of the Golf Cart Crossing ahead , and forwarded a request to the Project Wide Advisory Committee to incorporate the Colony Blvd. roadway into the Project Wide umbrella of responsibility and concurrently adopt the engineers primary recommendation to install a traffic signal (stop light) at the intersection location.

It is anticipated that the Project Wide Committee will accept both the responsibility and the recommendation and move forward with all due speed to initiate and complete the installation during the coming summer months while both car and cart traffic are at the least congestive.

First I want to thank everyone who uses that cart / car intersection for their due diligence over the past several months in proceeding with the care and caution which has resulted in few serious incidents. At the same time, I ask that we all continue for the next few months with the same patience and understanding while final design and installation is pursued. And, of course, I would hope that those who find this resolution to be unsatisfactory, for whatever reason, would bear in mind that there is no perfect solution, but that this has been pursued with all due diligence to affect the solution believed to be both consistent with existing and acceptable DOT traffic guidelines and at the same time finding an action we believe to be in the best consideration of and for the SAFETY of all drivers and riders crossing in all directions.

PS: And with all due respect, I'm sure the Daily Sun will report tomorrow or soon on the actions at our Friday meeting, I just won't know about it as I am now out of town until next weekend.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><>

NOTED: NewsShorts is now distributed to over 400 e-mail addresses, and counting neighbor, group and club "forwarding" and spouse sharing, we believe it reaches over 1000 readers. The next level is to reach 500 addresses, SO ... if you think NewsShorts is worthwhile information, please feel free to pass it on to friends, neighbors and social groups you belong to, inviting them to sign up for their own copy simply by sending me an e-mail to this address, CDD7.News@gmail.com. I need to receive a Name, a Street Address and a the Village or Villa name. AND, if there is a District or local issue you want to question or discuss, it's the same e-mail address. Issues of neighborhood or general interest will be addressed in future issues.

Ron McMahon, CDD#7

Board of Supervisors Seat #5

Bill-n-Brillo 03-16-2013 10:07 PM

Catskill, thanks for this update!!! 'preciate it!

I never knew that such a notification was available for District 7. I'll be signing up for it - that's where our place is!

Thanks again -

CatskillBill 03-16-2013 11:13 PM

A traffic light might make it a little safer for awhile. But it still won't solve the bottleneck and backup problems, unless there is a delayed green light. The timing of the lights would take some tweaking over time, and a right on red would help too.

The developer blew it when they crowded Colony Blvd with the Havana course and the ponds. Also, it wasn't very smart to have the tunnel dump out there without a option for a right turn only path to the plaza before you get to the Blvd junction.

There still may be enough room to make a cart trail some how to let carts coming from Morse to go straight along the ponds and continue around the bank and into the plaza. Not sure on how to you would get that easterly cart traffic over to the left to get on it.

Any tranportation dept. and traffic flow experts out there?

scarecrow1 03-17-2013 08:35 AM

People need to learn how to drive and use the center turn lane. Carts coming from Morris need to know that a cart coming from the plaza has to turn right so they can go left in front of them. While carts are coming from Morris you can turn left into the turning lane and merge into the right lane if the turning lane is clear. Use your heads and everything will be fine.

hoganth 03-18-2013 06:39 AM

Hmmm! I have seen carts coming from the plaza go past the right turn to the cart path and go into the Colony rec center driveway.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-18-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoganth (Post 644087)
Hmmm! I have seen carts coming from the plaza go past the right turn to the cart path and go into the Colony rec center driveway.

I believe there's signage there that makes that permissible.