Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/helpful-advice-warnings-brand-new-villagers-72476/)

graciegirl 03-13-2013 09:48 AM

Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.

Suzi 03-13-2013 09:56 AM

Bless you for starting this thread. So much to remember/consider. Instinct is to make your nest as soon as possible....but I know we should slow down and take time to assess our new surroundings. Anxious to hear more suggestions.

Parker 03-13-2013 10:01 AM

Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are!

NotGolfer 03-13-2013 10:05 AM

Take your time furnishing you house! Do the essentials but don't rush the process. tTake time to think what you want to "say" in each room. This especially for the ladies...men probably (over-all) don't care quite as much, though there are exceptions.

billethkid 03-13-2013 10:14 AM

before you move take a long hard look at your furniture and decide whether you really want the same in your new home in TV. I can't tell you how many new residents wind up getting new furniture becuase it is time or it doesn't go in the new house as well or it is not a Florida-ie or just because.

We for one could have saved time and money by bringing our master bedroom and guest furniture only. Sell, pass on, give away and don't pay to move it.

When it comes to golf carts take your time to comparison shop.

CHeck with your neighbors for the various services they use. Many of us have had to trial and error find ones we are satisfied with.

As has been stated already beware/ignore the door knockers....especially the ones who want to trim your trees and bushes whether they need them or not.

btk

Sable99 03-13-2013 10:25 AM

Keep them coming. Mom and I have owned here for almost a year but we haven't moved in yet!

ilovetv 03-13-2013 10:29 AM

As billiethekid said, think about buying new furniture here instead of paying so much to ship tired, outdated furniture.

The consignment shops here are full of things that are in good shape but extremely dated, and much of it cost the owner a bundle to ship it here and then it did not fit or did not do justice to a sparkling, fresh new or pre-owned home here.

gerryann 03-13-2013 10:30 AM

I agree with all of the above.

To add to a few. When shopping for golf cart...sometimes paying the extra eliminates problems down the road. Will they come to your home if you have a problem?

When finding a landscape company..check here on TOTV, but also ask other folks who's yard you like who they used and are they happy. Thats one area that I didn't do enough research. I'm stuck with dead plants and a company that could care less....never come around to see how plants, etc are doing.

If possible, walk the neighborhood and see who your neighbors will be. And if you meet some ask them about noise...trains, barking dogs, etc.

laceylady 03-13-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryann (Post 641651)
I agree with all of the above.

To add to a few. When shopping for golf cart...sometimes paying the extra eliminates problems down the road. Will they come to your home if you have a problem?

When finding a landscape company..check here on TOTV, but also ask other folks who's yard you like who they used and are they happy. Thats one area that I didn't do enough research. I'm stuck with dead plants and a company that could care less....never come around to see how plants, etc are doing.

If possible, walk the neighborhood and see who your neighbors will be. And if you meet some ask them about noise...trains, barking dogs, etc.

In addition, just because a company is an advertiser on TOTV, does not mean they provide good customer service. I can probably guess who gerryann is talking about. Also check with Seniors vs, Crime before hiring anyone for anything. The best source is your neighbors-- don't rush into landscaping like I did, and get royally ripped off.

delima2000 03-13-2013 02:10 PM

Watch out for the welcome wagon phone call. They are not from welcome wagon. They are people that want to test your water and get you to purchase a system from them.

downeaster 03-13-2013 07:16 PM

Do not pay for any service in advance. There may be a few exceptions to this "rule" but until you are really settled in and know who's who it is best not to make payments in advance.

jmd4667 03-13-2013 07:39 PM

I am in same situation. It is tough to hold back on things you want to do but we moved forward with the landscaping and had a PV solar system installed. Our primary reason is that we want to get things done before getting on a fixed income. Neighbors are very helpful. We started with Stellar lawn service but have since changed. They started off good but the yard maintenance suffered as time went on. We now have have a service that we pay monthly and it works out better in my opinion. Wife wants to do some inside things which we are looking into. Keep is to be patience and check out avialble sources before commiting. Good Luck!

anarick 03-13-2013 07:43 PM

I notice that some here are saying that they receive phone calls from pushy vendors. My question is how did they get your new phone number? Especially if you have a cell phone? or do you have a land line which is posted somewhere?
Please share.

asianthree 03-13-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarick (Post 641746)
I notice that some here are saying that they receive phone calls from pushy vendors. My question is how did they get your new phone number? Especially if you have a cell phone? or do you have a land line which is posted somewhere?
Please share.

its the land line and those who stop by and have you fill out an info card

anarick 03-13-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 641760)
its the land line and those who stop by and have you fill out an info card

I guess the solution is not to fill out the info card.
Thanks