Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   A major breakthough announced this week in the treatment of Cystic Fibrosis (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/major-breakthough-announced-week-treatment-cystic-fibrosis-72707/)

graciegirl 03-15-2013 08:27 PM

A major breakthough announced this week in the treatment of Cystic Fibrosis

When living in Cincinnati where Cincinnati Children's Hospital gets a lot of research money, I had heard whisperings in the last few years that they were "close" to finding something to extend the lives of children born with Cystic Fibrosis. This week it was announced that a new drug call Kalydyco has been instrumental in correcting part of the genetic defect that causes some of the children affected with CF to literally smother in thick mucus.

Breakthrough in cystic fibrosis treatment - CBS News Video

tommy steam 03-16-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 642884)
When living in Cincinnati where Cincinnati Children's Hospital gets a lot of research money, I had heard whisperings in the last few years that they were "close" to finding something to extend the lives of children born with Cystic Fibrosis. This week it was announced that a new drug call Kalydyco has been instrumental in correcting part of the genetic defect that causes some of the children affected with CF to literally smother in thick mucus.

I hope you are right.

CFrance 03-16-2013 06:28 PM

And I hope the insurance companies will not play games over who is allowed to have this drug.

Cantwaittoarrive 03-17-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance;6***34
And I hope the insurance companies will not play games over who is allowed to have this drug.

:agree:

graciegirl 03-17-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive (Post 643469)
:agree:

You are right. I hope that the Cystic Fibrosis..society? may be helping with the meds. Good thought.

I know Boomer Eaison..(I don't know how to spell it) has a son with CF and he was always fundraising for research when he lived in Cincinnati.

Someone in our church back home had a little one who didn't survive.

There are so many places our charitable funds can help.

kittygilchrist 03-17-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 642884)

I saw this on Nova. It's a fantastic breakthrough!