Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Local Police Blotter (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/local-police-blotter-72771/)

rkimball 03-17-2013 07:38 AM

Local Police Blotter

What ever happened to the sheriff's arrest blotter that was published weekly in the Villages Daily Sun? A representative of the Sun told me that they dropped the column but would publish this information daily in The Villages Suns Daily Briefs column but I have yet to see any in over two weeks. If you were/are also interested in this column you should call the Sun and express your wishes.

graciegirl 03-17-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkimball (Post 643472)
What ever happened to the sheriff's arrest blotter that was published weekly in the Villages Daily Sun? A representative of the Sun told me that they dropped the column but would publish this information daily in The Villages Suns Daily Briefs column but I have yet to see any in over two weeks. If you were/are also interested in this column you should call the Sun and express your wishes.

I have noticed the same thing and I will call tomorrow during business hours. I have had good luck calling the Sun and asking for the editor of the news portion and I think her name is Rena or Reba. She is always good at answering questions.

Let's call and find out.

crummybuttons 03-17-2013 11:40 AM

OMG! are you afraid you'll see your name in the blotter?

Bogie Shooter 03-17-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crummybuttons (Post 643657)
OMG! are you afraid you'll see your name in the blotter?

No, just so some folks can complain that nothing is ever printed there.

zcaveman 03-17-2013 11:53 AM

Everyone does realize that the police blotter is only excerpts from the real police blotter. It is basically meaningless unless you are just looking to see if you can find a couple of Villagers name in the blotter.

Z

hoopsterdad 03-17-2013 12:00 PM

probably not enough room with all the ads.

travelguy 03-17-2013 05:11 PM

Do we really need to know this information? Afterall, when/if charges are dropped for whatever reason we never see a re-traction or apology. Sometimes law enforcement makes a mistake. If you want this information look on the internet, or better yet find something constructive to do with your extra free time.

ugotme 03-17-2013 09:03 PM

As many cops have told me - If they posted ALL the items in the paper you would be shocked and amazed.

Those published are just tidbits.

EdV 03-18-2013 08:28 AM

graciegirl 03-18-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdV (Post 644149)

Darn..when I see that you edited a post to NOTHING, I know I have missed something good, thought out and worthwhile.

BlueHeronFan 03-19-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelguy (Post 643833)
Do we really need to know this information? Afterall, when/if charges are dropped for whatever reason we never see a re-traction or apology. Sometimes law enforcement makes a mistake. If you want this information look on the internet, or better yet find something constructive to do with your extra free time.

I miss it. For me it was a good for knowing what is going around here. For instance, knowing how many 20-30 somethings are living in The Villages on Parole or Probation, and get caught in some violation like breaking & entering or selling drugs.

Information is not a bad thing. Wonder why you seem to think it is.

EdV 03-19-2013 08:07 AM

Actually Gracie, in this case it wasn’t well thought out. I had found a link to the Sumter County Times police blotter and posted it, only to realize it was 2 years old and required a paid subscription to view current events.

My bad.

graciegirl 03-19-2013 08:46 AM

I did call and spoke to the news editor.

I asked her why the residents parade hadn't been mentioned and she too directed me to the front of the Thursday insert. And she also said "It hasn't happened yet".

I wasn't really very satisfied with her answer to my question as to why the police blotter disappeared, because I liked to read it too. She said that they were trying to publish those kinds of things when they happened rather then wait until the blotter was published. I didn't further inquire because I am a wimp and not a journalist.

Brenda Starr girl reported has been fired.

rkimball 03-20-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 643478)
I have noticed the same thing and I will call tomorrow during business hours. I have had good luck calling the Sun and asking for the editor of the news portion and I think her name is Rena or Reba. She is always good at answering questions.

Let's call and find out.

What happened? I think to many VRs picked up for drinking.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-20-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkimball (Post 645801)
What happened? I think to many VRs picked up for drinking.

What's a VR?

Bill :)