Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Any garden centers in Orlando? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/any-garden-centers-orlando-73148/)

Beatit 03-21-2013 08:26 AM

Any garden centers in Orlando?

Has anyone visited garden centers in Orlando? We moved from Georgia last year and was disappointed with the lack of nurseries in the area. I was looking for something other than the big box stores.

mulligan 03-21-2013 08:31 AM

We're surrounded by nurseries. Drive around outside TV. They're on every major rd.

graciegirl 03-21-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 646009)
We're surrounded by nurseries. Drive around outside TV. They're on every major rd.

For sure, plus we have a lot of plants and bushes available at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and some at Sams.

janmcn 03-21-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKysar (Post 646006)
Has anyone visited garden centers in Orlando? We moved from Georgia last year and was disappointed with the lack of nurseries in the area. I was looking for something other than the big box stores.

Take a drive up to Porter's, about 10 miles north of TV on 441/27. They have acres of plants for sale and also do landscaping.

It is better to buy locally than Orlando, since Orlando is in a different planting
zone, and plants that do well there may not survive the cold weather in TV.

Most local nurseries, plus the big box stores, will guarantee their plants for the first year.

mrfixit 03-21-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 646069)
Take a drive up to Porter's, about 10 miles north of TV on 441/27. They have acres of plants for sale and also do landscaping.

It is better to buy locally than Orlando, since Orlando is in a different planting
zone, and plants that do well there may not survive the cold weather in TV.

Most local nurseries, plus the big box stores, will guarantee their plants for the first year.

SADLY...PORTERS has been CLOSED for TWO YEARS.

janmcn 03-21-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfixit (Post 646070)
SADLY...PORTERS has been CLOSED for TWO YEARS.

Sorry...I didn't know that. Where have I been?

gomoho 03-21-2013 10:25 AM

Skysar - I have found plenty of nurseries in the area, but am still disappointed 'cause they all basically carry the same things. I would love a smaller garden center that handles some of the unusual plants you don't find in the standard nurseries. Was lucky
enough to find one in Wilmington NC and Las Cruces NM when I lived there. Not so lucky here.

travelguy 03-26-2013 02:01 PM

There are excellent nurseries here in The Villages area. For knowledge, quality plant material, and superior customer service I recommend Village Palms. Fairfield Farms has the largest selection of plants around. For hardgoods (mulches/soils, chemicals) one cannot do better than the big box stores......but they have no knowledgeable sales help.

Bogie Shooter 03-26-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 646072)
Sorry...I didn't know that. Where have I been?

And you are asking us?:rolleyes:

Bogie Shooter 03-26-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKysar (Post 646006)

Here are a few:
The Villages Nurseries plants trees | Nurseries plants trees in The Villages, FL - YP.com

Beatit 03-26-2013 07:11 PM

Thanks for the info. We lived in Georgia where they had the best nursery called Pikes. It was wonderful. I was so disappointed when we moved here to find out they did not have something comparable. I have heard since most of the plants come from Florida that you will not find many retail nurseries, only wholesale.

DougB 03-26-2013 07:23 PM

Things are always better back home. I often wonder why anyone moves here.

lightworker888 03-26-2013 07:41 PM

We just bought some dwarf azaleas from Bob Wines Camelia Gardens up in Ocala on SE 38th st off 441. It is about 20 minutes from home and has tons of different plants and trees. And the prices are good. They usually run an ad in the Daily Sun.

LW888

Bogie Shooter 03-26-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKysar (Post 649191)
Thanks for the info. We lived in Georgia where they had the best nursery called Pikes. It was wonderful. I was so disappointed when we moved here to find out they did not have something comparable. I have heard since most of the plants come from Florida that you will not find many retail nurseries, only wholesale.

Lots of retailers that outlet for the wholesalers.
Sorry you were disappointed..................but what about The Villages?